The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Peripheral Vision, Blind Spots and Perception
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Peripheral Vision, Blind Spots and Perception Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
It would seem simpler to just allow Search to have a Passive function. It's not like it's so different that it needs a completely separate skill.

I think it is.

Searching for something is a pretty methodical skill, whether it is searching for small bits of evidence or finding where someone has actively concealed something. Someone highly skilled in finding a hidden needle in a haystack is not necessarily someone who is also going to be good at noticing that there are two guys in a crowded bar who keep looking in his direction, but are trying to not be noticed doing it.

I suppose they could both be search, as two separate specialties and get a similar effect.

But I want every character to have the notice skill; not necessarily the search skill.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the description of the Perception attribute (2R&E Rulebook, pg. 53):
Quote:
Gamemasters often ask players to make search or Perception rolls to see how much their characters notice about their surroundings. The higher the roll, the more the character notices. (emphasis mine)

I'm all for adding new skills where appropriate, but it seems excessive to add a separate skill just for active vs. passive noticing of important details.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also allow search rolls for passive perception. Especially for paranoid rebel characters!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
I also allow search rolls for passive perception. Especially for paranoid rebel characters!

Or for hyper-vigilant or extremely detail-oriented people like spies or super-grade detectives (ala Sherlock Holmes or Adrian Monk).

Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, absolutely for those.

I just was making a joke that most players are suspicious, borderline paranoid in games. Why wouldn't they be? Most of them are guilty of at least treason against the Empire.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
From the description of the Perception attribute (2R&E Rulebook, pg. 53):
Quote:
Gamemasters often ask players to make search or Perception rolls to see how much their characters notice about their surroundings. The higher the roll, the more the character notices. (emphasis mine)

I'm all for adding new skills where appropriate, but it seems excessive to add a separate skill just for active vs. passive noticing of important details.

Well it is fair enough to have a difference of opinion on this.
For me it is similar to the 3rd ed. D&D skill division between 'Search' and 'Spot'.

The difference is significant enough for me, but I see where most others would choose to continue to have it all under the one skill.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that's more a candidate for what I discussed here. I'd be fine with renaming Search using a broader term that covers both.

dph
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In combat, like most other games I ignore facing, but in certain situations where a player's POV is restricted it would depend on all the usual factors, what other senses can be used, how restricted IS their POV, what were they doing at the time (fully engaged in an activity or actively on the look out).

The penalty could be as much as 3D but I would say 1D would be most common.

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/roguetraders
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are certain suggestions in this thread that overlap with the concept of investigation (as a skill and as a notion).

Some of the examples listed here as justification for a skill or attribute could be handled by the investigation skill.

Per my personal experience and opinion, learning investigative techniques "awakens" the mind to the passive detection of otherwise innocuous details.

In other words, I see investigation as both a passive and active (and interactive) skill.

Going off the top of my head (don't have access to my library at the moment), I suspect that between search (as written) and investigation (as presumably written) the vast majority of issues concerning passive detection can be adequately if not amply covered.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always saw the Perception Attribute to be the sum of "all" senses.
There are species with no eyes and ears, yet they do have perception and to me this indcates that the attribute is a sum of sight, hearing, and even feeling (as feel by touch)to some extent.

So to me the perception is the total sum of perceptiory senses what ever they may be for the species.

So a human has XD in perception, this is his total sum of his hearing, and vision (and touch), and if his vision is hindered then his total dice pool should suffer.

However while a human do not have a 360 vision, or even a 270 vision, it is still not very hard for a 4D perception to be able to turn his head just enough to see what he is hearing behind him, and this head movement will not take more time a mere instant.

However I do think that penalties for sitations, including reductions to the sensory organs is the right thing.

I use 1D loss for hearing, and a 2D loss for vision this becuse vision in the game have a stronger combat impact.

However it will not go to 0 unless he is also deaf.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first thought is some sort of Advanced Skill with Investigation and Search as prerequisites...

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
My first thought is some sort of Advanced Skill with Investigation and Search as prerequisites...

What new ability would you propose that isn't already covered by one or the other skill?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

What new ability would you propose that isn't already covered by one or the other skill?

Not sure yet, but based on what you described - of two skills complementing each other insofar as giving characters a better eye for details - sounds very much like an Advanced Skill, especially since (A) Skills are the only way to bridge skills under different Attributes...

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, these are both perception skills.

I might say that investigation detects relationships or connections between things and that it reprsents a character's ability to know what to "look for" (not to be confused with the search skill, here). Example:

A search roll might give a character enough information to accurately describe a dangerous villain to whatever level of minutiae is appropriate to the total rolled.

An investigation roll might give a character enough information to know that the villain is almost certainly carrying a hold out blaster inside the waistband on his right side due to posture and hand placement and figiting, etc. And that the villain is currently in the process of evading law enforcement by the way he keeps checking his surroundings and adjusting his positioning in the room.

As an extension of this kind of savvy-ness, the character's passive investigation would kick in whenever there are physical or situational elements interacting with each other.

Example:

The investigation roll happened to be high enough to also identify that the villain is headed toward the back exit (thus revealing to the player the presence and location thereof); but had he rolled 8 higher, he would have also been able to detect that the villain's movement in the room was also a code to communicate with his partner (who could also be identified among the crowd with a high enogh roll) regarding his current predicament.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason, I was thinking Investigation was a Knowledge skill. My bad.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: