The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Peripheral Vision, Blind Spots and Perception
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Peripheral Vision, Blind Spots and Perception Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Peripheral Vision, Blind Spots and Perception Reply with quote

Somehow I missed this thread in September. Some of the discussion overlaps this thread from May such as passive awareness being included with active awareness in Search (as in R&E) or passive awareness only being in Perception (as in 1e and blue Vader 2e).

CRMcNeill wrote:
How do you handle Perception for characters that are looking a different direction, or have their backs turned? My first thought is to treat it as partial concealment by fire arc. For example, say a human character (species matters; see below) has no Per penalty in his Front Arc, -1D in Left and Right Arcs (peripheral vision), and -4D to the Rear (no vision, just hearing).

This also opens up possibilities for non-human species with different eye placement, or tech augmentation such as helmets with rear arc cameras. A Mon Cal or Gungan, for example, might have reduced penalties in "off" arcs because of the placement of their eyes. There is also a template drifting around for a starting Mandalorian character (which is what got me thinking about this in the first place) where the armor is equipped with 360-degree camera sight, but doesn't include any real guidance as to how this would be used in gameplay.

Thoughts?

The game system is based on the human standard of abilities. Technically, peripheral vision rolls would always have the difficulty of humans and other binocular vision species, but species with monocular vision in eyes on both sides of the head should get a Perception/Search bonus for those rolls.

However I don't do it that way. There are a lot of species that would need that special abilities restatted. For field of vision, I make Perception and search difficulties based on the species, so instead of giving monocular side vision rolls a bonus, I just lower their "peripheral" vision difficulty. Now if alien vision includes infrared vision or such it does get mentioned in a special abilities. I just don't bother with field of vision differences in the stats. Handling that on the difficulty number side works fine.

On Earth monocular vision species usually have poorer depth perception, but if the species fluff or published stats don't bother with adding penalties to depth perception actions, then I don't both with it. I'm generally ok with these species just having depth perception equal to humans and better peripheral vision. It's just easier game mechanically. However, on Earth binocular vision is what makes piloting vehicles possible. I do tend to take monocular side vision into account when statting out the species Mechanical attribute ranges - Those species generally have lower than human maxes in my game. That is only a part of character design so adds no crunch during play.

Regarding the field of vision of full facial helmeted characters, that brings me back to Luke indicating he couldn't see very well in the stormtrooper helmet in ANH. That was BTS footage where Hamill didn't even know film was rolling, but Lucas thought it was funny so included in the film. In real life a stormtrooper helmet was not easy to see through and it would not be practical for soldiers as it decreases peripheral and other vision (I'm sure our 501st members here can attest to that). Of course it can be handwaved that in-universe the visual display is higher tech than we have on Earth and it compensates, but then Luke's statement was in-universe so how do the troopers see well enough but he doesn't? My concept is that the hemet uses a higher tech version of fiber optic technology that allows light in from very small ports on the sides of the helmet, and then the imagery is combined with the straight forward visuals, displaying on the inner visual display that basically simulates normal human field of vision. However it isn't exactly identical to normal human vision and part of stormtrooper armor proficiency includes training in how to interpret the imagery. Luke doesn't have that training so he has higher difficulties when wearing the helmet, not only to perception but to combat and other visual things. When Luke and Han blast all the Imps and cameras in the cell bay, the first thing they do is take off the helmets so they can see normally. My concept is that this "fiber optic" display tech is non-electronic meaning that it functions even if the hemet is out of power or turned off, but of course it can still be damaged.

As far as Mandalorian helmet display that gives full 360 vision, see my method above for handling differences in field of vision between species. I just wouldn't apply the added difficulty in peripheral or 'behind you' cases when the tech is operational. No muss, no fuss.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An alternate explanation I've heard is that Stormtrooper Armor helmets are equipped with security protocols that deactivate the electronics if the helmet is removed improperly (which includes yanking the helmet off the head of the stormtrooper you just stunned), so instead of all the advantages of the MFTAS System, you get a -1D to all Perception rolls.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the input so far, I have a tentative rule:
    Front: Character can make a Perception/Search roll as a Free Action.
    Left/Right: As Front, but Perception/Search roll counts as a Standard Action for MAP calculation.
    Rear: -2D to Perception/Search.

Species with non-human sensory placement may be able to reduce or eliminate some of these effects, as decided on a case-by-case basis.
It’s bare bones, but it’s been a long day and I just wanted to get this out there before I go to bed.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: