The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Renaming Skills for Clarification
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Renaming Skills for Clarification Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
How many times did the term snub fighter get used in the films??

At least once (during the Yavin briefing), which is still one more than starfighter or spacefighter.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
How many times did the term snub fighter get used in the films??

TIEs are not called starfighters in the films. In ANH Obi-Wan called one a "short-range fighter" to refer to it not having a hyperdrive, after Luke suggested that it had followed them from Tatooine to Alderaan. In the Battle of Yavin pilot briefing, Gold Leader asks, "Pardon me for asking, sir, but what good are snub-fighters going to be against that?"

Quote:
Instead of starfighters you could use "snubfighters."

I was just pointing out that "starfighter" would technically be an incorrect term to use for TIEs because it cannot travel between two different star systems. The more general "spacefighter" would be technically applicable because it includes fighters without hyperdrives. And I certainly wasn't suggesting there be two different piloting skills, one for non-hyperdrive fighters and one for hyperdrive-capable fighters. They are all spacefighters, and some are starfighters and some aren't. In my game, the skill to pilot both of them, and space transports, is spaceship operation.

According to EU and Canon lore, snubfighters specifically refer to smaller, one or two crew fighters. So I guess by that definition the ARC-170, having a crew of three, would not be a snubfighter. All we know from the films themselves is that "snubfighters" at least refers to X and Y wings. I have no trouble with the term snubfighters keeping its original intended meaning of referring to small combat ships with a crew of no more than two, which might cover most spacefighters but definitely not all. So I still feel that spacefighters is the best general term for fighters of all sizes, "starfighters" and "short-range fighters" all together.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject: Repair —> Tech Reply with quote

Something not brought up here... As referred to here and here, "Repair" skills do more than repair per RAW. There are two sets of rules where they modify technology (the modification rules in R&E, and the jury-rigging rules in Fantastic Technology). I agree with CRM's general premise that skills can be renamed to more accurately describe what they cover.

For technical skills that don't have operation counterparts in Mechanical, you can drop the repair. Computer Programming/Repair can just be "Computers" because there is no need to differentiate it from any other skill.

Technical is short for "Technical Attribute" so an option for renaming repair skills that do have non-repair operation counterparts would be to replace the word "Repair" with the word "Tech," short for "technical skill." Repulsorlift Repair can be "Repulsorlift Tech" and now that covers that the skill can also be used to modify the tech in two ways, and there is still no confusion with Repulsorlift Operation.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Repair —> Tech Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

For technical skills that don't have operation counterparts in Mechanical, you can drop the repair. Computer Programming/Repair can just be "Computers" because there is no need to differentiate it from any other skill.

That's something i often wondered. Why comp prog/rep was a TECH skill, when com prog should be under MECH (operation), while REP would stay under tech?
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Computer operation should be under Mechanical. Some skills are just more technical in nature, like Demolitions and Security. I think all aspects of Computers and Droids should stay under Technical with them.

I mainly think of Mechanical as spatial awareness, sense of direction, vehicle operation, and the technical skills most relevant to space travel, like communications and sensors.

But to each GM their own.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thinking that all "to hit" skills including starship wepon skills and brawling be under dex.
All melee and hand to hand damage under strength.

I would look to the knowledge list and perception list next.

I would maybe change out some of them, I am considering investigation-given that we there can have forensics as a speciality, be a KNO skill and move from Perception.

basically swap intimidation with investigation.

and naturaaly remove/umbrella skills, like starship piloting, to include ALL types of starships, with specialities for capital, starfighter, maybe even make some of them into advanced skill
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I don't think Computer operation should be under Mechanical. Some skills are just more technical in nature, like Demolitions and Security. I think all aspects of Computers and Droids should stay under Technical with them.

I mainly think of Mechanical as spatial awareness, sense of direction, vehicle operation, and the technical skills most relevant to space travel, like communications and sensors.

But to each GM their own.

While I don't know that it was explicitly a design goal, I see the attributes being divided into three types, and two styles... the types being Physical, Mental, and Technological, and the styles being Power and Finesse.

Strength is Power, Dexterity is Finesse, both are Physical.
Mechanical is Power, Technical is Finesse.
Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon, and Perception is Finesse.

Following this strictly would result in a few rearrangements (sensors and communication would move to technical), and, again, I don't know that it was explicitly designed that way, but it's a useful way of deciding "Is this Mechanical or Technical" or similar questions.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF france is bacon.. Who's sausage?
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
IF france is bacon.. Who's sausage?

Laws. Laws are sausage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: