The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Human Special Race Ability or Story Arc?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Human Special Race Ability or Story Arc?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject: Human Special Race Ability or Story Arc? Reply with quote

Given the nature of humans, and how humans compare to other species in other games I wonder if not humans in Star Wars should have the "adaptability" special Ability or Story Arc.

Now if this would give any actual pip or D is another matter but maybe reduce some difficulties in some case.

The mechanics is not something I have thought out, but to me it makes sense that humans in some way is "adaptable" as this seems to be if any a trait of our species, given we can live almost anywhere

any thoughts and suggestion?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Human Special Race Ability or Story Arc? Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
Given the nature of humans, and how humans compare to other species in other games I wonder if not humans in Star Wars should have the "adaptability" special Ability or Story Arc.

Now if this would give any actual pip or D is another matter but maybe reduce some difficulties in some case.

The mechanics is not something I have thought out, but to me it makes sense that humans in some way is "adaptable" as this seems to be if any a trait of our species, given we can live almost anywhere

I completely agree.

Quote:
any thoughts and suggestion?

Somewhat inspired by D6 Space, in my game all player character species (including humans) have a special abilities package. With the exception of one PC species that has many special abilities to choose from and thus a customizable package, the species packages are static stat blocks added to the character. All species packages are roughly equivalent to +4D in skill dice. (It is not always easy to equate abilities to skill dice thus the "roughly equivalent".) If a species by RAW or my interpretation has more than 4D worth of advantages, then I may have added some disadvantages to balance it out. Conversely, if a species is too disadvantaged, they may get some more advantages to balance them out. Any additional abilities/disabilities added to the species will always be related to the species fluff capsule or other abilities they already have. If nothing else, I added bonus allocation skill dice to be available for certain skills.

The #1 knee jerk criticism I always get to this is "species shouldn't have to be game balanced with each other". In my game, species as a whole are not balanced. There is only an effort made to balance PCs with each other, not average/typical members of species. In my game all PCs of any species have exactly 18D in attributes. The typical attribute dice total and attribute ranges can be whatever is right for that species. And individual NPCs can have any number of attribute dice, less than the typical dice value for that species up to even more than 18D, with any number of skill dice. Most species abilities packages do apply to most members of the species (PCs and NPC), but that is on top of an extremely variable set of attributes and skills. For species that all members of really shouldn't even have +4D worth of abilities, their abilities package may specify "PCs of this species get..."

I wholeheartedly embrace the notion that all species do not evolve equally. The only effort made to balance species with each other is for PCs, less than a tiny fraction of 1% of the species as a whole. And ultimately, true game balance is impossible to obtain with rules and stats anyway. The final factor for any game's balance is the realm of the GM in adventure planning and live during gameplay.

What about Humans? In Star Wars, Humans are always portrayed by all the fluff as extremely versatile. The species abilities package for humans in my game is +4D skill allocation dice to any skills (still within the overall limit of no more than +2D total to any one skill). The +4D makes humans more equal to aliens, and the any skills reflects the adaptability factor of the fluff. The lack of limitation to which skills can be used (unlike Duros bonus dice are limited to piloting-related skills), could be viewed as a more valuable advantage, but I don't care. Humans also have the story factor of the dominant species of the galaxy and thus thus experience a lack of species discrimination. I have the experience of players by and large not wanting to play humans so I want humans to be attractive to players by way of the widest range of available character concepts.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I am too thinking about game balance and the actual "not balanced world"
I also have all PCs at 18D.

And I interpret the ailen generation and statblocks to reflect the average of the species.

seeing a max 14D attribute dice and I think max 6D attribute cap.

To me this do not give any 18D aliens, hence the 1D minimum for many species.

I like the +4D Skills dice for humans, as a way to give them a form of versitality.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: