The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Which one of these is best for a scientist to research?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Which one of these is best for a scientist to research?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maximum7
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:14 am    Post subject: Which one of these is best for a scientist to research? Reply with quote

...Continued from this thread: What can a scientist in my Star Wars fan fic be working on?

On the page below , I have been editing and adding different techs from my internet searches and Wikipedia searches. I know this list is long but I wonder if you could help me finally pick something. Of the things on this list (including the redlinks), which one is best to explore in Star Wars?
When choosing make sure
a.) It doesn’t already exist in some form in Star Wars Legends or Canon.

b.) It doesn’t be a complete game changer for the story that takes away one of established rules.

c.) It isn’t not worth researching.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hypothetical_technologies

EDIT: Added link to original thread this continued from.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, such fond memories of my high school friend who had ADD, and was always asking me to do his homework for him...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Which one of these is best for a scientist to research? Reply with quote

Maximum7 wrote:
On the page below , I have been editing and adding different techs from my internet searches and Wikipedia searches. I know this list is long but I wonder if you could help me finally pick something. Of the things on this list (including the redlinks), which one is best to explore in Star Wars?
When choosing make sure

b.) It doesn’t be a complete game changer for the story that takes away one of established rules.

long list, far to long for me to read trough, but a lot of the listed tech there does exist in some form in star wars.

Now with technology I have a view that a canon from 1500 and a howitzer of today is the same technology, just modernized and imporved, but it is not something new, it is still something that shoots a projectile , it is still a cannon.

and when we look to star wars, things like the Kuat ship yards is something very close to what we would call a dyson sphere, or rather a dyson ring, spheres do exist in star wars too.

Now while some propulsion system can have a differnt name in star wars, the mechanics and how it works can easily be translated.

so the tech on the list and the tech in star wars is in many cases simply the same thing, with diffent names
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Which one of these is best for a scientist to research? Reply with quote

What can a scientist in my Star Wars fan fic be working on?

Maximum7 wrote:
When choosing make sure

Maximum7, why did you create a new thread for this? You did not overtly state a purpose for this question in this post, but is this not for your fanfic story you are working? Creating multiple threads for the same thing could be considered spamming the forum.

This forum is devoted to and focused on the WEG Star Wars D6 RPG. Of course all the users here are general Star Wars fans to some degree and thus have other Star Wars related interests outside of the game. We are allowed to discuss them here within the forum guidelines. But I'm curious. Do you even play the RPG? I can't really remember any forum user here that doesn't talk about the game, no matter what their other Star Wars interests are. Based on your post history, I can't help but wonder, what we to you?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Maximum7
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Which one of these is best for a scientist to research? Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
What can a scientist in my Star Wars fan fic be working on?

Maximum7 wrote:
When choosing make sure

Maximum7, why did you create a new thread for this? You did not overtly state a purpose for this question in this post, but is this not for your fanfic story you are working? Creating multiple threads for the same thing could be considered spamming the forum.

This forum is devoted to and focused on the WEG Star Wars D6 RPG. Of course all the users here are general Star Wars fans to some degree and thus have other Star Wars related interests outside of the game. We are allowed to discuss them here within the forum guidelines. But I'm curious. Do you even play the RPG? I can't really remember any forum user here that doesn't talk about the game, no matter what their other Star Wars interests are. Based on your post history, I can't help but wonder, what we to you?

This section is called General Star Wars and its for discussing Star Wars through any medium.

That being said, you’d be surprised how hard it is to find Star Wars forums where you can just discuss SW. Jedicouncilforums is run by egomaniacal a-holes (so is Wookieepedia) so I don’t have many options. I’ve played WEG Star Wars a long, long time ago (😛) and I primarily write these days. If you think I should stop; I will but note. I am not asking for people to generate ideas for me; I’m merely asking for an opinion from fellow SW fans.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maximum7, thanks for speaking to my curiosities. But the main take away should be that you didn't need to start a new threads to solicit more opinions. You could have bumped the old thread. I do not at present have the ability to merge threads. So I'll just close the old thread with a link this one since that's all we can do at this point.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: