The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Military Training for PCs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Military Training for PCs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think it goes beyond just fear, but to having "guts." That is, having determination. I think that if 2D represents soldier's willpower, than the "average" being would be at like... 0D+1 willpower or some such. Just my take on it, though.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Well, I think it goes beyond just fear, but to having "guts." That is, having determination. I think that if 2D represents soldier's willpower, than the "average" being would be at like... 0D+1 willpower or some such. Just my take on it, though.

I agree on this, however we see all/most templates, be them custom or not having at a very minimum 2D.
Now I see the issue with this being willpower under knowledge, as this will give someone like a diplomat a much higher willpower than a soldier with or a pilot with 2D+X
but yes I agree, now maybe we could make willpower a "specialization" skill, or something similar, or give soldiers a combat relatied willpower specializatuiion
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In respect to Willpower;
Don't forget that you would only actually need to roll in extraordinary circumstances.
Most challenges in a typical civilian life won't need any rolls at all...so one could easily get by on a 0D+1 Willpower.

This is the 'typical' response of walking past someone being attacked and not wanting to get involved for example.

If it were typical behaviour to step in and help at the risk of personal damage, those people wouldn't consistently be called 'heroes'.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another possibility would be to come up with narrow-focus Advanced Skills based on a particular MOS. Infantry might get Blaster, Grenade, and Stamina as prerequisites (others as appropriate), and the character can then increase that specific Advanced Skill only when they train with and are an active member of a military with that specialty (can still improve the individual skills on their own).

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
In respect to Willpower;
Don't forget that you would only actually need to roll in extraordinary circumstances.
Most challenges in a typical civilian life won't need any rolls at all...so one could easily get by on a 0D+1 Willpower.

This is the 'typical' response of walking past someone being attacked and not wanting to get involved for example.

If it were typical behaviour to step in and help at the risk of personal damage, those people wouldn't consistently be called 'heroes'.

While I agree, we see the minimum is set at 2D, meaning I have yet to find any character with a 0D+1, let alone how if any roll they would be able to make.

and no, we can not count the occational lucky 6 on the wild dice, we have to think the average of the total, and most if not any will succeed in an easy roll, like not falling for temptation and drinking up the soda before you come home, even if they roll very rarely .

so to me a solder should get a +X to his willpower at least if this is at the standard 2D.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
This would depend on what YOU mean by "basic" training.

In the US army, "basic" training includes HMMWV training (and all equipment, including vehicles, includes user-level maintenance training).

So, I could see adding repulsorlift operation and repulsorlift repair to the list.

Radio communication is also "basic." So, let's add communications.

Most people ("average Joes") would also gain a significant amount of stamina and willpower by completing basic training (especially in D6, the way that willpower and stamina interact is particularly interesting).

An argument could easily be made that it is impossible to complete basic training without a certain amount of willpower to overcome the limits of both physical and emotional fatigue.

In fact, the most desirable quality in a soldier is steadfastness. You could say that willpower is the most basic of all soldier skills (I know this flies in the face of typical "gaming" archetypes, but, it's true).

Then cause of all the obstacle course training, add in climbing/jumping, then from their survival training, in escape and evasion, Search and sneaking..
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha! It's true. A lot of tactics depend on (or work best) when the element of surprise is retained.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Then cause of all the obstacle course training, add in climbing/jumping, then from their survival training, in escape and evasion, Search and sneaking..
BAsed on the Clone Wars movies and TV shows search and sneak aren't part of the standard training/programming for either the Clones or their droid enemies. Most of those battle scenes make Pickett's Charge look kind of stealthy.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
BAsed on the Clone Wars movies and TV shows search and sneak aren't part of the standard training/programming for either the Clones or their droid enemies. Most of those battle scenes make Pickett's Charge look kind of stealthy.

Indeed. If the TV Show is any indicator, the bar for "tactical genius" is set very low, to the level of "not being quite as stupid as your opponent."

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
If the TV Show is any indicator, the bar for "tactical genius" is set very low, to the level of "not being quite as stupid as your opponent."

As a bit of fun hyperbole, someone once said that in TCW, even the Jedi make tactical mistakes their cat wouldn't make.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you think i don't put any faith IN those cartoons!
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
garhkal wrote:

The clones are not the only "military" in the SWU, though.

I do find it laughable that merely by being a "Jedi" a person is entitled to the rank of "commander" as a Padawan and "general" as a Knight... 14-year old Ahsoka giving orders to hardened troops really made me cringe, TBH...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Why do you think i don't put any faith IN those cartoons!

Exactly. The cartoons are great as idea mines - Clone Wars ships and vehicles are awesome w/r/t fleshing our Alliance units in the Classic Era, but the plot lines themselves are a joke.

Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My take is that with a tech level that is overlapping, even with "only" about 7 million clones, these clones were bread for war, despite their rapid aging they would have much more training than the conscripted stormtrooper.

And while neither the coles nor the stormtroopers are the full military force of their respective factions, they are the fist and the branches best compared.

I would argue that at least on a one to one basis a republic clone trooper that is basically enginnered to be a weapons/soldier and with several years of training is a much better soldier than any coscripted stormtrooper of the empire with what is described in scources as at the longest 3 years of training including stormtrooper training, basic training, and youth academies.

And I refuse to accept that clone war technoloy is in any significan matter obsolete even by 0BBY/ABY

I would even go as far as to as they are the same.

If we compare to earth, the battleships od the early 1900s, ww1 and ww2 were in servive up to and including desert shiled in the 90s

The M16 was developed in the years leading up to and the first years of the vitetnam conflict. Same with most of the active service aircraft.

US Military is currently adotion a "new" weapon system that has been used by the rangers for about a decade. that system the 84mm carl gustav was develoedd in the early 60s.

now with the cone wars only 19 years in the past, where TIE fighters and Star Destroyers werre used, I would saay that there is little to no difference in thechnology and that if a empire victory it would be due to numbers only, not tech, not tactics and absolutely not quality of troops
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your estimate of 7 million clones is likely low by several orders of magnitude. 7 million isn’t even enough to garrison one Earth-type planet.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: