The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Idle CP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Idle CP
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:19 pm    Post subject: Idle CP Reply with quote

The only way I can reason someone like Luke, or any other, lets take a spec nav trooper, or a stom commando, or even ezra bridger.

he is what 17-18 when the series ends, he born in 19bby, same as Luke.
His RPG stats though Fan made is huge........

or better yet look at the 3-5 cp pr mission average and then lets try and become a jenserai defender.....or a jedi knight, they are roghly the same.

Jenserai PC template
Type: Jensaarai Apprentice
DEXTERITY 3D+1
KNOWLEDGE 2D
MECHANICAL 2D
PERCEPTION 3D+1
STRENGTH 3D+1
TECHNICAL 2D
Special Abilities:
Force Skills:
Control 1 D,
Sense 1D
Force Powes:
Control Powers: Concentration
Sense Powers: Magnify Senses
Move: 10
Force Sensitive: Yes
Force Points: 2
Character Points: 5
Equipment: Lightsaber (4D), civilian clothes, comlink
Background:

Clalled Jeseraai Apprentice. 16 D Attributes, 2D to Force Skills, and can Add 7D to skills.

Now lets look at a typical jenseraai Apprentice.
to me "typical" indicate something quite standard

DEXTERITY 3D+2
Dodge 4D+2,
lightsaber 5D+2,
melee parry 4D+1,
running 4D
KNOWLEDGE 2D+2
Alien species 3D,
cultures 3D,
intimidation 3D+1,
scholar: Jensaarai History 4D,
streetwise: Susevfi 4D+1,
surival 3D+2,
willpower 3D+1
MECHANICAL 2D+1
Communications 3D
PERCEPTION 3D+2
Hide 4D+2, search 4D,
sneak 4D+2
STRENGTH 3D+2
Brawling 5D,
stamina 4D+1
TECHNICAL 2D
First aid 3D,
ightsaber repair 4D
Special Abilities:
Force Skills:
Control 3D,
Sense 3D,
Alter 2D
Force Powers (these are the known powers a typical Jensaaria apprentice possesses and it is believed that they have access to other powers as well): Control Powers: Concentration, Control Pain, Enhance Attribute, Resist Stun Sense Powers: Danger Sense, Life Detection, Magnify Senses Alter Powers: Telekinesis Control and Sense: Lightsaber Combat Force Points: 2 Character Points: 8
Move: 10
Equipment: Lightsaber (4D), civilian clothes, comlink

From the first one to this one, giving 3-5 cp pr mission after the 7D allowed for cration is Hmmm takes a while of playing every single day twice.
the latter also have +2D to attributes, inaddtion to the skills .
then comes the last added force skill and the cost of 10cp alone there.

Now if then look at the written NPCs both the epic ones and the less epic ones. lets look at a royal guard, they are according to most scourses given about 4 years of training, including basic training academy and finally being selectd and trained as guards.

We can not in 3 years, game time or RL due to RL even come close to at least 120CP on raising dex alone, then every other skills they have iin the 5D+ range for quite a cost. even if the 7D at creation is calculated.

Not to mention shadow guards, add all the force in addtion.

etc etc....

in short, is there and should there be some for of earning CP between game sessions.

I can imagine there is time between missions, maybe moths even.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree.

When ever I do a time-jump in the narrative I usually give out some bonus CPs to account for regular progression that would have been done in that time.

Typically a couple per month.

But it's flexible.

I recently gave a lump sum of 80 for a 10-year stretch. I thought 240 would be excessive!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see 1cp/mo for long down times..
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what is meant by "down time" but as I was reading the OP, I felt that 1 CP per day of relevant activity was reasonable.

Alternatively, when awarding idle CP, it could also be ruled that they must be spent on "accumulating knowledge."

In other words, we look at someone like Yoda with a Scholar: Jedi Lore skill at, let's say, 15D.

Does he really need to "adventure" to increase this skill? I don't think so. Similarly, a professor at an academy (who isn't Indiana Jones) isn't going to be living the kind of life that will yield CP for raising all of his knowledge skills. Mostly he sits around reading and doing lab experiments, etc.

Other skills could reasonably develop with incidental use as well: if a character spends a lot of time in a boring factory job moving crates, for example, the following skills would increase without the need to "earn" CP through adventuring:

Scholar: Logistics
Value
Repulsorlift Operation and/or Ground Vehicle Operation (fork lifts, etc)
Search (or some skill that governs solving inventory sorting problems)
Lifting
Stamina (to some extent)

It would seem to me that skills which do not require an opposed roll should be able to be raised without "earning" CP, but merely by using the skill on a daily basis.

Skills that require an opposed roll must be developed either by specifically training them or by using them in opposotion.

Lastly, I would say that idle CP should only be able to raise a skill up to 4D (professional level) OR 1D (maybe 2D) over the attribute, whichever is higher.

This would account for many characters having a bunch of "little" incidental skills (such as Obi Wan's piloting skills or beast riding skills) that they don't actually "train on" but "picked up along the way."
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
I don't know what is meant by "down time" but as I was reading the OP, I felt that 1 CP per day of relevant activity was reasonable.

Alternatively, when awarding idle CP, it could also be ruled that they must be spent on "accumulating knowledge."

In other words, we look at someone like Yoda with a Scholar: Jedi Lore skill at, let's say, 15D.

Does he really need to "adventure" to increase this skill? I don't think so. Similarly, a professor at an academy (who isn't Indiana Jones) isn't going to be living the kind of life that will yield CP for raising all of his knowledge skills. Mostly he sits around reading and doing lab experiments, etc.

Other skills could reasonably develop with incidental use as well: if a character spends a lot of time in a boring factory job moving crates, for example, the following skills would increase without the need to "earn" CP through adventuring:

Scholar: Logistics
Value
Repulsorlift Operation and/or Ground Vehicle Operation (fork lifts, etc)
Search (or some skill that governs solving inventory sorting problems)
Lifting
Stamina (to some extent)

It would seem to me that skills which do not require an opposed roll should be able to be raised without "earning" CP, but merely by using the skill on a daily basis.

Skills that require an opposed roll must be developed either by specifically training them or by using them in opposotion.

Lastly, I would say that idle CP should only be able to raise a skill up to 4D (professional level) OR 1D (maybe 2D) over the attribute, whichever is higher.

This would account for many characters having a bunch of "little" incidental skills (such as Obi Wan's piloting skills or beast riding skills) that they don't actually "train on" but "picked up along the way."

Wow I love this
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ars Magica had some similar ideas... you got a certain amount of XP every season, which could be applied to whatever you were reasonably doing that season, up to certain limits.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding to what I posted earlier, I was thinking that even opposed skills should benefit from "idle CP." The opposed skills can be raised up to 1D over the attribute using idle CP.

Non opposed skills can be raised to 4D or 1D over, whichever is higher. And non-opposed specializations can be raised indefinitely (such as Yoda's Scholar: Jedi Lore).

Or perhaps instead of non opposed skills, it could be skills that do not have a risk associated with failure. For example, blaster repair is not an opposed skill, but a failure may ruin the blaster or parts of it. In order to master such a skill, a character will have to buy parts (introducing a risk of loss).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: