The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Allowing more than 18D to attributes variant....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Allowing more than 18D to attributes variant....
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Allowing more than 18D to attributes variant.... Reply with quote

I want to throw something out there.

Allowing characters to trade in their 7D skills for added Dice to attributes.

Example:
D 3D
K 3D
P 3D
M 3D
S 3D
T 3D

+7D skills

Vs.
D 3D
K 3D
P 3D
M 3D
S 3D
T 3D

+0D skills +1D Attribute

Allowing

D 4D
K 3D
P 3D
M 3D
S 3D
T 3D

this trade will allow a more powerful attribute character, but one with no actual skill training, and thus having to rely on his natural abilies to stay alive.

Despite having 19D attributes, and maybe the trade is 2D for 2D attributes, he still has "only" his base attributes to rely on and when he do begin to train and advance he does so at the normal cost.

The question is how much is the 7D in skills worth, compared to a tred off like this?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being it costs 20cp, to even raise a 2d attribute to 2d+1, vice only 2cp to raise a Skill up at that level, i say allowing a 1d skill to 1d attribute trade is VERY VERY Generous... It should be at least 3d to 1d..
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Being it costs 20cp, to even raise a 2d attribute to 2d+1, vice only 2cp to raise a Skill up at that level, i say allowing a 1d skill to 1d attribute trade is VERY VERY Generous... It should be at least 3d to 1d..

I am thinking maybe all 7D for 1D attribute, but yes 3D is still generous and imo not at all too generous
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also noticed I was giving a 2D skill for 2D attribute in my example this was wrong, will edit this.

"2D for 2D attributes"

Should be upto 7D for upto 2D attributes, with what Imagined was a 2D Skill dice for 1D attribute
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would have to be a case-by-case, I think.

The GM should decide what is most appropriate. Some attributes are inherently more valuable than others (unfortunately).

For example, when looking at attributes, there are only two that actually matter throughout the entire campaign with respect to having to make dice rolls.

Strength determines melee and brawling damage as well as resistance to damage. And perception determines initiative as well as general "awareness" checks (depending on the GM... some designate search as the general awareness skill). Perception also resists force power effects.

Other attributes only matter when using an untrained skill, and don't really have an independent game function.

If you don't care about all that, however, I'd say you should make up a few templates of various character concepts (and really try to "min max" the heck out of them as you do) in order to find any weaknesses in this optional rule that can potentially throw beginning characters off balance. The one that immediately comes to mind is the wookiee brawler. Per RAW, a wookiee maxes out at 6D strength and can put up to 2D into brawling, making a starting character with 8D in brawling (and dealing 6D damage... that's worse than being shot with a blaster rifle). If you add the berserker rage to this, the wookiee has a brawling skill of 8D and deals 8D damage.... Then, you can specialize in Brawling: Martial Arts and get a skill level of 9D upon starting the game Shocked

And that's under RAW....

The trade-off would be that the wookiee, having maxed out his strength, would have that many fewer dice to allocate to other attributes. Under your suggested rule, if the wookiee had 2D of skill dice left over to allocate to skills, he could max out his strength and brawling skill, as well as adding a +1D to another attribute (of course he's giving up skills, but then again, if his secondary attribute gets the +1D, then it's better than having skill dice, since all the skills under that attribute are effectively getting bumped by +1D.

Now, humans, on the other hand, max out at 4D, so there is very little room for "abuse" when it comes to maxing out an attribute and a skill. A human can theoretically start out with a single specialization of 7D. Even if that was Brawling: Martial Arts, he's still only rolling 4D for damage, so it's not anywhere near as potent as the starting wookiee with maxed out brawling.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sort had the wookie brawler in mind, not so much for this but for the skill cpa and that, for the other thread.

To me the 9D being the one stand out in a solar system or a sector makes little sense espcieally given the number of named NPCs with 8D+ and even 12D+ to skills, and the fact that a wookie brawler can exist pr raw and yes with a 9D skill

I maybe just do something more siple for this though, even though I love the suggestions and ideas given.

I am thinking allowing a palyer the opetion to choose between the normal 18D/7D or a 19D/3D skill pack, This prevents the +1D to more than one attribute, it leaves room for allocating skills, and will in many ways be a trade off people can think of.

Again maybe best used on a case by case basis, but I am thinking the guy growing up on a frontier world, needing to have high strength to survive, have high perception for both intiative and for being alert enough to stay alive and maybe even be nimble and mobile enough to effectively traverse somehat difficult terrain.
So I can see this easy done on a 4D dex, 4D, str, 4D Per, with a "D on the rest, allowing the nromal 7D in skills.

However I also see where the less skills and maybe a higher mechanical, giving a 4 4 4 3 2 2 set of attributes, this due to how skills connect to attributes.

I pickture a "mowgli" type, low tech but with chigh strenght, dex and perception, sort of feral, and with the animal handling/riding skill, as well and basic ground mobility even fairly low tech I see the Mechanical 3D value.

The character now has 4 4 4 3 2 2 (19D) to attributes, but "only" 3 D to skills, and could be given a disadvantage like needing to pay the cost of specialization, in any "hi tech" skill to be allowed to advance in it.

so due to his lack of education and exposure to"any" tech, he must pay 3CP
in order to "get" blaster Reapir skill, he gets the skill to 2D+1 (his tech is 2D) and he now advances this skill normally.

Some make sense skill synergy should apply here if needed.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Allowing more than 18D to attributes variant.... Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Being it costs 20cp, to even raise a 2d attribute to 2d+1

Not actually. Per RAW there is a variable number of CPs to improve attributes because of the dice roll and having to lose half the CPs for no gain if the roll fails. And of course your comparison to the attribute improvement rule of RAW is only applicable if the attribute improvement rule is balanced with the RAW character creation rules in the first place. It isn't.

Mamatried wrote:
I want to throw something out there.

Allowing characters to trade in their 7D skills for added Dice to attributes.

Example:
D 3D
K 3D
P 3D
M 3D
S 3D
T 3D

+7D skills

Vs.
D 3D
K 3D
P 3D
M 3D
S 3D
T 3D

+0D skills +1D Attribute

Allowing

D 4D
K 3D
P 3D
M 3D
S 3D
T 3D

this trade will allow a more powerful attribute character, but one with no actual skill training, and thus having to rely on his natural abilies to stay alive.

I do think 7D in skill dice for 1D in attributes is definitely better than D6 Space's 4D in skill dice, but I still feel it is best if attribute and skill dice are not equated to each other through any formula.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: