The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

I maybe able to explain REY's "overly" powers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> I maybe able to explain REY's "overly" powers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject: I maybe able to explain REY's "overly" powers Reply with quote

Rey is a force "mimic"
She has the ability to siphon the knowledge of others as well her self.
Once Kylo began his affect mind power, she first fought it, then she "siphoned" the knowledge and thus how to beat it and did.

Is there a name for a force mimic/siphon? and is it a power that allows you to basically be a spunge, suck up the power by teaching and by watchin, interacting with others.

It seems to me this is actually the "main" power or rather ability of Rey
Barbarossa41
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the best explanation of this conundrum I have ever heard. Shocked
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always figured it was because of the writers... snicke snicker. Laughing
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I'm not a big fan of the sequels in general, their novelizations have at least spelled this out:

Rey's already innately talented/strong in the Force (albeit latent ability), but the bond with Kylo in TFA allows her to access his training. SW author (and TLJ novelization writer) Jason Fry explained it pretty well:

"Rey's unexpected connection with Kylo threw open a lot of doors in her mind, allowing her to grasp on some level how he was able to use the Force and access those abilities herself. Rey was clearly born strong with the Force, but obviously hadn't been trained... but that literal meeting of minds let her do those things instinctively... she accesses his training, not his power. Parallels are hard, but imagine the muscle memory and environmental awareness for being, say, an archer... It's a shortcut, yes, but to powers within Rey's capabilities. "

Source: https://twitter.com/jasoncfry/status/1222338168734744576

And Rise of Skywalker Spoiler Alert: Tangential, but still related: I love Palps, but tying Rey's bloodline to Palpatine in TRoS
was really a cop-out in my opinion, just to justify her "power levels" to us fanboys. That she was innately strong in the Force,
coupled with this "mind-meld" access/bond, was more than explanation enough, imho. Would have much preferred that she
had remained "Rey Nobody / Rey From Nowhere" — much more interesting character arc that way.

OBSCURE CHARACTER ARCHIVE INDEX

TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything in SW that doesn't make sense to me I file under being "From a certain point of view" and move on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: