The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Miniatures Vehicle Rules Conversion
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games -> Miniatures Vehicle Rules Conversion Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. Sliding difficulties would make certain terrains virtually impassable except to really great speeder bike pilots and stuff. And I guess a GM should have the wherewithal to realize that regardless of rolls, an AT-ST can't go across a wide pit but a snowspeeder can.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
True. Sliding difficulties would make certain terrains virtually impassable except to really great speeder bike pilots and stuff. And I guess a GM should have the wherewithal to realize that regardless of rolls, an AT-ST can't go across a wide pit but a snowspeeder can.

Aerial vehicles are going to have their own sets of problems. Obviously, an airspeeder can clear a wide pit that would stop an AT-ST cold, but an airspeeder is going to have much greater trouble navigating through even a sparse forest...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here’s a thought... what if Terrain and Obstacles inflicted Damage, with different types of vehicles being able to ignore damage from certain kinds of Terrain. That could be the basis of the distinction between Terrain and Obstacles, too; with Obstacles able to be maneuvered around, while with Terrain, the damage pretty much comes with the territory.

Say, for instance, an X-Wing is flying through a combination asteroid field / gas cloud. Being in the gas cloud inflicts a constant 1D damage per round while moving through it (modified by Speed), while the asteroids must be maneuvered around...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a related note, I started this topic a while back, which also pertains to this discussion.

TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I think that's why speeders treated woods of varying densities as impassable. Like why a lot of games simply don't allow you to fire into close combat at all.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
Yeah I think that's why speeders treated woods of varying densities as impassable. Like why a lot of games simply don't allow you to fire into close combat at all.

In fact, there was another idea that might tie into this, too. I can't locate the topic in question, but I mused about the idea of terrain or obstacles being sufficiently clustered that a large enough vehicle would be able unable to move through them, but would be able to smash through them, taking little or no damage in the process. A speeder, for example, might be able to maneuver through a forest where an AT-AT could not, but the AT-AT would have the option of simply plowing through the forest, knocking over everything in its path.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: