The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Encumbrance Rules
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Encumbrance Rules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested as part of the larger issue, but I'm having trouble picturing how it will bear on the larger concept of what happens when a character or vehicle is overloaded...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say being over encumbered,
A) reduces your move (no going all out)
B) imposes a -1 to -2d penalty on dex checks
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I'd say being over encumbered,
A) reduces your move (no going all out)
B) imposes a -1 to -2d penalty on dex checks

That's a starting point, but what I'm looking for is a graduated system, where overencumbering any moving thing causes penalties that slope up. I did something similar when making up the Cargo Increment rule, but what I'm struggling with is a rule for both humans and vehicles that can be ported over towards a weaponized effect.

Specifically, I'm looking at a conversion for Graviton Guns from WH40K, which decreased a target's Move by boosting their effective mass. I'm picturing graviton weapons as a sort of "poor man's gravity well projector", in that when they hit a target, they increase its effective mass, which in turn slows it down (and increases its Astrogation Difficulty, if any).

For ships, it'd be as simple as just weaponizing the Cargo Increment rule, but the original Graviton Guns were handheld, for use against character-sized targets.

MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

For ships, it'd be as simple as just weaponizing the Cargo Increment rule, but the original Graviton Guns were handheld, for use against character-sized targets.

Well, then, what if we work out a human's Cargo Increment?

Lifting provides us with

VE 10kg
E 50kg
M 100kg
D 200kg
VD 500kg
H 750kg

and the standard difficulties are

VE 1D
E 2D
M 3-4D
D 5-6D
VD 7-8D
H 9D

Now, what if we cut this in half, and call it "Cargo increment?" You can carry up to your cargo increment without a problem; multiples of your cargo increment inflict penalties, just like you were an overloaded ship?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming back around to this, I'm wondering if the best way to represent this would be in Dice penalties, similar to Ionization Damage. Basically, an object beyond a certain size inflicts an Encumbrance penalty applied to various Movement skills.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the beginning of my discussion on this, my goal has been to create a uniform Encumbrance rule for ships, vehicles and characters. In addition, I'm looking for a rule that can be weaponized for when I write up stats for Graviton weaponry from the WH40K universe.

Trying to puzzle out more accurate penalties for armor got me thinking along the lines of using dice penalties, and the idea shows enough promise that I think I'm going to fold it into a larger Encumbrance rule, which will cover the weight of all carried/worn pieces of equipment, including armor. Any additional penalties due to armor placement interfering with movement will be handled as a separate penalty.

It will also require a partial re-write of my Cargo Increment rules for Tramp Freighters, but that's not a problem if it results in a workable, uniform rule.

The short version I'm thinking is, every piece of equipment beyond a certain size (including lots of cargo carried in a ship's cargo bay) will have an Encumbrance penalty rated in Dice, which will, in turn, penalize Strength and Movement skills. This will function in a similar manner to Ionization Damage, but will only roll off if the character sets the equipment down or if they have some form of counter-augmentation to offset the penalty (anti-grav suspensors, a power suit, etc).

For characters, they'll be able to ignore Encumbrance penalties up to 1/2 of either their Strength or Lifting dice. So, a character with 2D Strength may ignore 1D of Encumbrance penalty, but if they increase their Lifting skill to 4D, they may ignore 2D, and so on and so forth.

That's the simplest method I could think of to incorporate natural physical strength, but it will offset some of my initial thoughts on what should count as Encumbrance, and what shouldn't.

Anyway, that's where I am with this at the moment. Thoughts?

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been tossing this around as well while shopping for camping/hunting gear IRL.

For people (and, to my understanding, vehicles, as well), the way the weight is distributed is a major factor in how it affects encumbrance.

"Wearing" 50 pounds of gear (such as armor and kit) is a lot different than carrying it in the hands which is also much different than in a back pack.

If you want this to matter in your rule, the best way I can think to integrate it would be to allow different kinds of packs/armor set ups to "count as" a certain amount of lifting. For example, a rugged back pack designed for camping might "count as" (adding) 1D in lifting, while an infantry ruck sack might count as (adding) 2D to lifting. Armor might "count as" (adding) 3D to lifting.

Nevertheless: while the character may be able to physically move around with all that gear (due to the bonuses), their stamina roll should not gain the same bonus.

Depending on how you envision the scale of this system, you may want to adjust the "counts as" modifiers down to pips rather than whole dice.

In the case of vehicles, cargo loaded into the "back seat" (closer to the vehicle's center of mass) might have a lesser effect than than if loaded into the trunk, which in turn is less than if strapped to the roof, etc.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not going to be something that can be addressed by a single, linear rule. I'd be more inclined to address a "hand" system (as summarized here), which can then be used to stat out personal carrying equipment, like ALICE harnesses, plate carriers or rucksacks.

I certainly agree that how something is carried affects how difficult it is to carry it; IMO, that's one of the big advantages of something like the Smartgun Harness from Aliens, in that it allows a heavy weapon's weight to be carried on the gunner's core while leaving the arms free to aim and fire it.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually had come up with a similar idea for making sense of how a character might carry "all their stuff."

For example, if we reduced equipment to only weapons, I might say that a character can carry "5 hands' worth of weapons" no matter how strong they are (this is kinda video-game like, but serviceable in a pinch, I think). A pistol is 1-hand, a knife, 1-hand, a sword 2-hands (even if wielded in one hand), a shoulder fired weapon, 2 hands, etc.

Take another look at my suggestion above. The "linear rule" you want could fit perfectly in (if I'm understanding it correctly) because it allows everything to still be based on the character's strength or lifting skill. This just makes gear selection (including packs and pouches and such; and cargo configuration/volume for vehicles one additional dimension for consideration). In other words, having a giant duffel bag full of crap versus having an organized orienteering pack and tackle vest.

If the rule is too simple, a character could "by the rules" just have a jar strapped to his head with all his stuff in it.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would have to be a particularly inattentive GM to allow something as silly as that.

As I've said elsewhere, I'm not interested in a system that dwells too heavily on the minutiae of exactly how much equipment a character can carry. I want a system that will allow characters to ignore Encumbrance until it actually becomes an issue. If I understand what you describe correctly, were a PC to load themselves down with a ridiculous amount of loot, the GM could simply assign an appropriate Encumbrance penalty, as well as stipulating that said character must have some practical method of carrying it all.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you at least got a laugh out of the jar on the head remark...

Anyway, I'll have to chew on it some more if my previous idea doesn't fit into what you want to do.
Argentsaber
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThrorII wrote:
As a 1E fan, I'd love to hear how they handle it.

Sorry to be so long in responding, learning to do wire edm at work so precious little free time for gaming lately. I'm thinking it might be better as a seperate post in the houserules section, but when I get it ready I'll link it here for you.

https://rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7971

Still obviously in progress, but please let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somehow I missed this over the years. Challenge Magazine had an article in Episode #62 on Encumbrance (Link). It's a short read, but my initial takeaway is that treating Encumbrance similar to Ionization may work, with the main difference being that the Encumbrance penalty has to exceed the character's Strength to being to take effect. So, say something has an Encumbrance rating of -3D; a character with 4D Strength can carry it without difficulty, but a character with 2D Strength suffers a -1D Penalty to Movement actions. Obviously, the example isn't perfect, but the basic concept is there.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would you figure out what 'encumbrance' rating items of gear are then?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
How would you figure out what 'encumbrance' rating items of gear are then?

There's a helpful chart in the Link I provided above. Under that system, the character's Strength is used to convert to a Encumbrance (a 3D Strength = 18), and any Encumbrance going over that cap starts to impose penalties.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: