The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Jump Packs & Flight Packs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Jump Packs & Flight Packs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Whill wrote:
Raven Redstar wrote:
I think the flight packs should be able to match speed with your basic speeders. Whenever I've seen them used, they were able to keep pace with skiffs and speeders.

That brought back cringey memories of watching TCW and seeing exactly that. I feel that's ridiculous because if you had that much thrust, the fuel would be used up very quickly. So even if you could travel the same speed as speeders, you could not sustain it for very long so you wouldn't be able to 'keep pace'. In the cartoons, flight packs and small astromech droids have seemingly unlimited fuel for high speed and fancy maneuvers. What are they using for fuel? Anti-matter?

TBH, one of the things in TLJ that threw me was talking about fuel... it never seemed to be an issue anywhere I could recall, before. Sure, you'd have damaged ships, non-functioning engines, all sorts of things, but never really out of gas.

I sort of set up a headcanoned dichotomy... In Star Wars, you had infinite energy, which got you things like hyperdrive and lightsabers. In Star Trek, you had pretty much infinite matter, due to replicators and the like.

Aside from WEG, TLJ is the first place I saw mention of refuelling as opposed to maintenance being the concern for SW ships.

I have to agree. All speeders in the game don't have a consumables rating, which means that for all purposes they have infinite fuel. I think that risk of imminent death in a crash is enough of a drawback to give the jet packs speed and enough power to get someone wherever. I also think that because they're small portable conveyance systems, they should be expensive, and require additional gear to keep the pilot from being ripped to shreds by airborne particles or wind shear.

Maybe a flight pack doesn't work that way in your games, and that's fine. My inner child and I are fine with backpack conveyance that can keep up with speeders and keep going for more than 30 seconds or so: YMMV.

Something else to consider is that flight packs should have maximum weight capacities. You don't want 4 people all grabbing onto someone with a jetpack and it's able to fly. Could you imagine a party of PCs who end up having to hitch a ride on the Bounty Hunter because their speeder was destroyed? Laughing
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Could you imagine a party of PCs who end up having to hitch a ride on the Bounty Hunter because their speeder was destroyed? Laughing

Actually, I recall something like that in Iron Man 3. What makes it awesome is that he had to carry 13 people, not just a party of 4.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giving this a bump on account of wanting to incorporate a Jump Pack function into Spacetrooper Armor. While I’m generally satisfied with the stats in the above link, I’ve come to the conclusion that having separate Ranges for Lateral, Ascending and Descending jumps is just too clunky. However, there should be some rule to account for the fact that, when jumping in a gravity field, going with the field (down) will be easier than going against it (up).

I’m thinking of just having one Range, and applying a Difficulty modifier of +5 when Ascending, and -5 when Descending (which is which will be up to the GM).

EDIT: Okay, made the above changes to the Jump Pack post, and added it to the Index.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thought: how would you handle a character making a Ramming attack with a Jump/Flight Pack? As in, say the character with the jump pack decided he wanted to try to either slam into a target or land on them when jumping. How would you handle the To Hit Difficulty and Damage (to both parties)?

Can totally see armored Mandalorians using something like this...

Also, I'm working on rules for the Flight Pack, and I'd like your input on what would be a good base Speed.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the to hit, it would be his jet/rocket pack ops vs the opponent's dodge. As for damage, something like str+2d i'd say is good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: