The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Non force user blocking blaster bolts with blade
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Non force user blocking blaster bolts with blade Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:57 pm    Post subject: Non force user blocking blaster bolts with blade Reply with quote

I was imagining a "Samurai" type of character with training giving heightened enough sense for the "Samurai" to actually block blaster shots, though to a far lesser degree than force users, and he can redirect them back at the shooter.

I was alo then imaginig some special metal in the blades used, allowing to withstand blasters, maybe even have a very limited ability to block lightsbaers,
something like a Beskar blade or something similar.

any thohoughts on a non force sensitive, "samurai" type of highly trained and dicilpined warrior who can with a blade or maybe some other melee weapons, actually blaock blaster shots?
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That ability seems like something that in the Star Wars setting should only be done using the Force. After all it is the essential Jedi trait. The first thing we see Luke do with a lightsaber (aside from waving it around in Obi Wan's hut).

But if you wanted a non-Force method I'd go with one of these approaches.

1. Allow anyone with a sufficiently high skill to attempt the technique, but at an extreme difficulty. Heroic sounds about right. And failure to make the heroic roll means you can't dodge. Failing to make a Heroic roll by 20 or more points means the shot automatically hits you for +1D damage since you stepped right in the path of the shot when trying to block it.

2. Create a new Advanced skill. The earthly samurai equivalent technique would be Arrow Cutting.* I'd probably use the same name for my Star Wars not-samurai Advanced Skill since the technique seems like something that would date back to the time before blasters in whatever culture this technique is from. I'd probably make this a skill of some alien species that isn't ever Force sensitive. I'd also put a very high minimum skill level with sword or melee parry to be able to learn (A) Arrow Cutting. 10D sounds like the right requirement.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking something in the lines of the D20 Monk ability "Deflect Arrows"
Basically using the sword or staff (weapon)

An advanced skill seems maybe the way to go, maybe make it very spesific to a group/species/culture
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:

An advanced skill seems maybe the way to go, maybe make it very spesific to a group/species/culture

I could see it as an advanced skill on Melee Parry.... but I'd lean towards requiring a very high melee parry before allowing it.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, i say no, it can't be done without the force..
ZepDek
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always viewed that it could be done, the force just makes it far far easier. After all we got people dodging blaster shots, if someone was crazy enough to pick up a lightsaber and try and parry a shot without the force I'd let them. But I'd say it'd be hard as hell. Maybe like Bren suggested a heroic difficulty. Not sure they'd be able to parry it back but frantic waving yea, I could see it.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:

There are a few pop culture concepts you should look into for some insight on this.

Check out the movie Equilibrium and pay attention to the notion of "gun kata." That is one potential explanation for how someone could "predict" blaster shot trajectory and not be there (or put his sword there) in anticipation of a shot that is a fraction of a second in the future.

Also, look into a show called Alphas. There is an episode (I don't remember whic season) where a bad guy has the natural ability to "calculate" the exact outcome of situations based on all the variables at play (he accurately perceives all relevant variables).

In the end, I'd say whatever you decide, a very high perception attribute is necessary for this to be probable.

Also, look around on youtube for "samurai cuts baseball" or "samurai cuts BB."
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
For me, i say no, it can't be done without the force..

Especially since Jedi are pretty much the "space samurai" of the galaxy, I totally get that. I think I'm on board with garhkal.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say a sufficiently advanced non-FS martial artist should be able to deflect/catch muscle-driven weapons (knives, spears, etc), with simple leverage weapons (arrows, slings, etc), being much more difficult, but within the realm of possibility for the upper levels of "normal" human capability. Firearms and more advanced weaponry, however, should be limited solely to those who can use the Force.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I'd say a sufficiently advanced non-FS martial artist should be able to deflect/catch muscle-driven weapons (knives, spears, etc), with simple leverage weapons (arrows, slings, etc), being much more difficult, but within the realm of possibility for the upper levels of "normal" human capability. Firearms and more advanced weaponry, however, should be limited solely to those who can use the Force.

I agree alot, though if we do look at the the actually speed of a blaster bolt as seen then this seems to be moving slow enough to have dinner while you dodge it......

given how slow the bolts move I can't see any issue as long as skill is there and the item used to block this actually works.

I would however argue a slug thrower bullet is a million times more difficult to dodge and impossible to block, even for a jedi and even with his force.

but a blaster bolt that you can almost run away from I would argue is at leat possible to block even without the force.
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In movies that speed changes from scene to scene and it's not coherent whether in character or starship scale combat (TLJ took it to a new level).

Let's keep it simple: 3 meters, 150 km or 75 space units. Bolt still hits in the same round.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:
In movies that speed changes from scene to scene and it's not coherent whether in character or starship scale combat (TLJ took it to a new level).

Let's keep it simple: 3 meters, 150 km or 75 space units. Bolt still hits in the same round.

Yeah, I have been considering this as well.

To me however it is a litte strange that if a bolt can be actively dodged, as in active dodge, not just calculating hit or miss but an active dodge.
Now if there is time to dodge, becse you see the bolt comming towards you, then why would it not be time to raise a sword, I would argue lifting a sword or dodging would take about the same amount of time.

though one would be perhaps easier than the other I would argue that both would be possible.

While not canon, we do see royal guards use their vibro blades to among other things block balster bolts ( Kir Kanos Crimson Empire)
As far as I know they are not force sensitive, but are trained to an almost "unnatural" level of combat, this reflected by the 5D dex and high skills in 7-8 and 9D range for combat, including blocking.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have argued many times that "dodge" is not a measure of how fast you move out of the path of a flying blaster bolt, but rather it is your ability to make yourself difficult to acquire as a target in the first place.

FWIW, dodge works against firearms/slugthrowers per RAW.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
I have argued many times that "dodge" is not a measure of how fast you move out of the path of a flying blaster bolt, but rather it is your ability to make yourself difficult to acquire as a target in the first place.

FWIW, dodge works against firearms/slugthrowers per RAW.

Another reason I'm glad I folded Dodge and Running into an Agility skill: avoiding semantical arguments over the meaning of "Dodge."

As an aside, I've recently considered folding both Brawling Parry and Melee Parry into a single Defense skill, with Difficulty modifiers based on whether or not the "defending" character was armed (and with what) and whether or not they were facing an armed opponent...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:

Plus in films (or shows) its done to let US THE VIEWER see the shot happen.. Otherwise it would be like the old BSG where you see the gun go off, NOTHING on screen, then the baddie being hit, with 'nothing', almost simultaneously.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: