The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Non force user blocking blaster bolts with blade
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Non force user blocking blaster bolts with blade Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, the Force is ubiquitous enough that even those who are not Force-sensitive have ways of interacting with it; beyond just spending Force Points and Character Points.

So, for me, I don't see a problem with it being an advanced skill very few people have access to, with a high Melee Parry prereq. This is your one way of sensing the Force; if you're not sensitive, you don't have another.

So, let's say it has Melee Parry 6D. Once you learn it at 1D, you have 1D worth of ability to parry incoming blaster bolts. You're going to want 2D to have a chance, and 3D to have a hope, and 4D to have a reasonable likelihood of blocking blaster bolts... which is a load of CPs on just buffing your Melee Parry.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
I have argued many times that "dodge" is not a measure of how fast you move out of the path of a flying blaster bolt, but rather it is your ability to make yourself difficult to acquire as a target in the first place.

FWIW, dodge works against firearms/slugthrowers per RAW.

Your interpretation is in line with 2e Dodge rules where a dodge applies to all attacks that round. Clearly this is making yourself harder to be hit in general. Otherwise it would be one roll to move out of the way of multiple blaster bolts the rest fo the round, which really doesn't make sense.

CRMcNeill wrote:
Another reason I'm glad I folded Dodge and Running into an Agility skill: avoiding semantical arguments over the meaning of "Dodge."

Indeed. There's not much to argue against in 2e (see above), but yeah.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
For me, the Force is ubiquitous enough that even those who are not Force-sensitive have ways of interacting with it; beyond just spending Force Points and Character Points.

So, for me, I don't see a problem with it being an advanced skill very few people have access to, with a high Melee Parry prereq. This is your one way of sensing the Force; if you're not sensitive, you don't have another.

So, let's say it has Melee Parry 6D. Once you learn it at 1D, you have 1D worth of ability to parry incoming blaster bolts. You're going to want 2D to have a chance, and 3D to have a hope, and 4D to have a reasonable likelihood of blocking blaster bolts... which is a load of CPs on just buffing your Melee Parry.

Would you have the parry being just needing to equal the shot's to hit to deflect it? Or would the diff be higher? Say inverse of range mods, + the to hit?
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzhs1Z8Rwnk
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Would you have the parry being just needing to equal the shot's to hit to deflect it? Or would the diff be higher? Say inverse of range mods, + the to hit?

I don't see any reason for it to be different than normal defenses... your Blaster Parry skill would either replace the to-hit number, or add to it (for full defense)
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzhs1Z8Rwnk

WOW!
Argentsaber
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have allowed characters to use martial arts advanced skill in place of sense to block ranged attacks, but I always drew the line at reflecting them back. When doing this, I wave the usual way a defense works against all attacks that phase as well. We have been experimenting with "talents" (essentially tricks following the same sort of rules as force powers for advanced skills), and this is one of them.. the basic version blocking missiles, and the advanced one working for projectiles. We have discussed a "gunslinger" advanced skill allowing the "shoot a bullet out of the air" tricks from the old westerns too..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: