The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Seasons and climates on a planet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Planets, Locations, Eras, and Settings -> Seasons and climates on a planet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:32 am    Post subject: Seasons and climates on a planet Reply with quote

Over in another thread, the issue of seasons on individual planets came up (direct links to relevant posts in the discussion below).

https://rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=192629#192629

https://rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=192704#192704

While looking up mounts for some SpecForce wilderness fighters, I came across this on the Legends article for tauntauns at Wookipedia:

Wookipedia wrote:

Some years after the Galactic Civil War had ended, tauntauns were exported from Hoth to the cold-climate regions of other worlds such as Coruscant. They were used as mounts, beasts of burden and tourist attractions. However, they longed for their old home and became surly and stubborn because of this homesickness.

In the films, we don't get any looks at things changing on any one planet, but rather, the characteristics of each entire planet seem to be assumed to match the places that are shown in the films. We do get some references to "seasons" such as the dialogue between Luke and Owen about why he can't go to the academy this season/year, etc.

What examples of seasons are there in the films (that I may have missed) or in the EU (which I'm not really familiar with)?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Tatooine's water agriculture season (with mention of a harvest) are about it for the films. Planets aren't revisited much, and when they are there doesn't seem to be much difference in temperature or weather. The first example that comes to mind of a film planet with seasons referenced in the EU is the forest moon of Endor has cold winters with snow according to the Ewok cartoon (in the area of the filmic Ewok village). I'm sure there are some other EU references, but overall I think the franchise tends to make planets without seasons in the same way that one climate/terrain seems to dominate the entire planet. It's not very realistic for habitable planets to have only one climate/terrain throughout the entire planet, just like it is implausible that all of these planets would have no axial tilt, but Star Wars story writers rarely concern themselves with that.

Every single planet I create for my game has multiple terrains, climates, and seasons because that helps me with disbelief suspension. I made one somewhat habitable dessert planet with no axial tilt, but it has seas and comfortable temperatures at the poles. A large zone surrounding the equator is uninhabitable due to the heat so there are regions north and south of those that are habitable but not as comfortable as the polar regions. Even without axial tilt, there are still seasons with somewhat predictable windstorm patterns that are tied to life cycles of the planet's few remaining indigenous inhabitants.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Planet/environment creation is far, far away from my main interest in RPGs, so I'm not that well versed in what has been published/portrayed in canon.

I wanted to use tauntauns as a "typical" mount, but it seems they are only able to survive in frigid, snowy environments.

I'm mostly looking for fast moving animals, and came across the kybuck, which looks like a great option for more temperate areas.
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cracian thumper sees a lot of use in my game. They can travel at 35 kph (Move 12). They're also very stealthy (sneak 4D+2).

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I just recently skimmed past those guys in the RoE. Been meaning to go back to that section, actually. I've just gotten carried away exploring Wookipedia, TBH... Embarassed
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In game and setting design, one thing that keeps coming back to me is the usefulness of a physical and environmental geography class I took as a Freshman, 23 years ago. Taught me a lot about weather and landscapes and such.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Planets, Locations, Eras, and Settings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: