The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Disruptor Weapons
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Disruptor Weapons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akumakaji
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Disruptor Weapons Reply with quote

Hello everyone, today I want to talk about Disruptor weapons.

In the lore of Star Wars, on older technology predating the blaster, was the Disruptor. The Disuptor breaks the target down on a molecular level and leaves quite nasty wounds and an especially painful way to die. They also use much more blast gas and would have a much more reduced ammunition counter, rate of fire and range. The lore around them makes them somewhat more powerful and the preferred tool of assassins or brutal and though crime syndicate thugs, but mechanically speaking, not a lot of this translates into the actual game.

There are only a handful of Disruptor weapons in the game, and most of them deal +2 pip or +1D more damage then a comparable blaster and many have indeed a very small range and ammo counter, but not every one has a reduced RoF.

I would like to somewhat brainstorm rules for Disruptors and maybe device some rules that you could simply add on to a normal blaster, to make it into a Disruptor.

Something like "reduce Rate of Fire to 2, reduce range to 0-3/5/7, increase damage by +2".

I am toying with letting them ignore 1D of protection, or maybe damaging and reducing armor, as they would besically disolve it. It should be noted that the use of a Disruptor is illegal on nearly every world and looked down upon by everyone, so my aim isnt to min-max the damage, but to somehow make the appearance of a Disruptor in the story somewhat special and maybe even hated.

In something like DnD I would let them also inflict pain or maybe a fear effect, but in d6 we dont have this kind of added effects. Just toying with ideas, there could be a Willpower roll if someone on your team gets wounded or even dies by a Disruptor, to reflect the demoralizing effect (10 for a wound, 15 for incapacitated, 25 for being killed) or suffer -1D demoralization.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An Ignore Protection rule is best reserved for dedicated armor piercing weapons, as it will actually reduce effectiveness against unarmored targets. Personally, I’m okay with disrupters being powerful, short-ranged hand cannon with limited ammunition. Something like a personal anti-matter cannon.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: