The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Hyperspace & Astrogation Project
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Hyperspace & Astrogation Project Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, in Robotech, within the first couple of episode, the giant aliens attack and the human try to make a spacefold beyond the moon to get the battle fortress away from the alien. However, they do something that shocks the aliens... they execute their spacefold in the atmosphere (not just the gravity well) of Earth, and they wind up slamming themselves out past Pluto, along with a chunk of the ocean, a small island, and, one assumes, a spherical chunk of Earth's atmosphere. No one goes into spacefold from an atmosphere; it's a mad thing to do.

But humans, being completely ignorant, do it anyway.

I do not have a conceptual problem with someone trying a hyperspace jump into or out of a gravity well... I think that can work fine as an incredibly risky thing to try, so most people don't bother (kind of like the Holdo maneuver... the things that need to align for it to work are rare enough that no one tries). Hyperspace skipping, as seen in TRoS, doesn't work, though, with any standing concept of hyperspace.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebertran wrote:
Is Astrogation still relevant in your games now that the new sequels basically took a dump on it?
CRMcNeill wrote:
Scots Dragon wrote:
We're not actually under any obligation to consider the new films part of our home canon.

Indeed.
Grimace wrote:
Yeah, no one is FORCING you to follow all of the things in the movies, be they newer or older movies.

ebertran, in 2008 George Lucas pointed out there is a Star Was multiverse: His personal universe, the EU, and each fan's universe. Disney can't change that. Disney only added yet another universe to the multiverse (the so-called "canon" universe). No continuity from any source, including films, should overrule a GM's head canon for his own game. It's a basic premise of the Rancor Pit.

GMs have been disregarding unwanted SW continuity since Dark Empire in 1991. Many of us have run alternate universe campaigns that diverge from film canon. A GM once said that TESB and RotJ were not even in his personal SWU - The original Star Wars was the only film!

MrNexx wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
At this point, my personal version of the sequel trilogy ends with Luke waking up in bed next to Mara Jade saying "Honey, wake up, you won't believe the dream I just had" (and if you get that reference, you are O. L. D.).

I thought I got the reference, so I asked my brother Darryl to be sure. He asked our other brother Darryl to see if he got it. I think I have it figured out.

Nexx, you beat me to this joke. I don't remember watching that show much, but I did see it more than once, including the final episode. At the time I didn't get that ending with him waking up with a different wife and I asked my mom about it. She explained to me that was his wife from an older show Bob Newhart was in (which I've never seen). It really boggles my mind that I even remember this show at all. There is so much of my life since then which I have forgotten so why do I remember the guy with two brothers named Darryl and the last scene of the series finale? The brain works in mysterious ways.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimace wrote:
...I don't have hyperspace skipping.
CRMcNeill wrote:
Same. I refuse to see RoS, and looked up lightspeed skipping on YouTube. I made it fifteen seconds into the clip and closed the window in disgust.

I just noticed something about that scene. In the 0:28 mark of that video, there are two Falcons, one above the other, one appearing to be a mirror image of the other. And here I had thought that sequence couldn't get any dumber!

Scots Dragon wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
I have a vague premise for "hyper-skipping" as a method of rapid in-system travel, but it bears no resemblance to what I just watched.

There is something like that in Star Wars already, called a micro-jump or precision hyperspace jump, used for tactical purposes.

Yep. Micro-jumps do exist in my SWU. Shark jumps do not. The "lightspeed skipping" in TRoS is stupid for multiple reasons. Not only is the Falcon coming out of lightspeed in the middle of masses of solid structures, but the TIE fighters chasing them all have "lightspeed tracking" tech and follow it through each jump except the last jump when I guess the Falcon finally lost them. In TLJ they made such a big deal about the lightspeed tracking tech only being located in the single giant flagship of the FO fleet, and now only a year later every little TIE has lightspeed tracking. I like lightspeed tracking not existing, where you can only estimate probable destinations from the last known trajectory (as mentioned in TESB).

Lightspeed skipping, lightspeed skipping, hmmm. OK, I'm just spitballing here, but an idea for that term which is more sensible than TRoS might be.

Let's say a ship is being pursued closely by another ship. The pursued ship jumps to lightspeed towards a gravity well in the same system so that trajectory might appear to the pursuer that the pursued ship is only doing an intra-system micro-jump and depending on the failsafe cut-out to stop them from colliding with the planet or whatever is the source of the gravity well. The astrogator of the pursued ship tries to hit the edge of the gravity well at a fairly obtuse angle just to "bounce" off of it and change course a bit without dropping out of lightspeed. This involves manipulating the hyperdrive failsafe cut-off to not be completely on or off, using the failsafe's cut-off to only redirect the ship slightly away from the gravity well instead of dropping to realspace.

So the goal is to stay at "lightspeed" throughout the maneuver, and what you are "skipping" is a gravity well. Ideally the pursuing ship will just drop out of lightspeed and the pursued ship is no where to be found. This would require a high astrogation roll. Failure could mean the dropping out of lightspeed or veering wildly off course. Of course ships can slowly change course in hyperspace because nothing in the universe really moves in a straight line, but they can't change direction on a dime (in the space of a micro-jump), so this could have some uses in throwing a pursuer off. So this is used to trick someone chasing you into thinking you are going somewhere close that you are not, and by the time they come out of lightspeed in the gravity well, you are on your way out of the system in a different direction.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
There is so much of my life since then which I have forgotten so why do I remember the guy with two brothers named Darryl and the last scene of the series finale? The brain works in mysterious ways.

Considering that the Larry, Darryl and Darryl gag was featured in pretty much every episode of that show, it's not surprising that it stuck. I remember very little else about that series, but I can instantly recall the sound of Larry's voice.

Whill wrote:
Let's say a ship is being pursued closely by another ship. The pursued ship jumps to lightspeed towards a gravity well in the same system so that trajectory might appear to the pursuer that the pursued ship is only doing an intra-system micro-jump and depending on the failsafe cut-out to stop them from colliding with the planet or whatever is the source of the gravity well. The astrogator of the pursued ship tries to hit the edge of the gravity well at a fairly obtuse angle just to "bounce" off of it and change course a bit without dropping out of lightspeed. This involves manipulating the hyperdrive failsafe cut-off to not be completely on or off, using the failsafe's cut-off to only redirect the ship slightly away from the gravity well instead of dropping to realspace.

So the goal is to stay at "lightspeed" throughout the maneuver, and what you are "skipping" is a gravity well. Ideally the pursuing ship will just drop out of lightspeed and the pursued ship is no where to be found. This would require a high astrogation roll. Failure could mean the dropping out of lightspeed or veering wildly off course. Of course ships can slowly change course in hyperspace because nothing in the universe really moves in a straight line, but they can't change direction on a dime (in the space of a micro-jump), so this could have some uses in throwing a pursuer off. So this is used to trick someone chasing you into thinking you are going somewhere close that you are not, and by the time they come out of lightspeed in the gravity well, you are on your way out of the system in a different direction.

Oooh. I like this very much. It immediately brings to mind the concept of gravity assist in astrodynamics, but with a very cool Star Wars twist to it. I can see Han pulling something like this in the Falcon to throw off pursuit. A few maneuvers, indeed.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Nexx, you beat me to this joke. I don't remember watching that show much, but I did see it more than once, including the final episode. At the time I didn't get that ending with him waking up with a different wife and I asked my mom about it. She explained to me that was his wife from an older show Bob Newhart was in (which I've never seen). It really boggles my mind that I even remember this show at all. There is so much of my life since then which I have forgotten so why do I remember the guy with two brothers named Darryl and the last scene of the series finale? The brain works in mysterious ways.

I largely know it because it gets referenced for either Larry, Darryl, and Darryl, or for that ending. I probably saw parts of episodes when I was younger, but it certainly wasn't anything I was interested in then... after all, it had nothing to do with Star Wars (or GI Joe, or anything else Hasbro and Mattel were feeding me)
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some additional thoughts...
Whill wrote:
I like lightspeed tracking not existing, where you can only estimate probable destinations from the last known trajectory (as mentioned in TESB).

I have to disagree here; because of the layout of hyperdrive routes in the WEG system, hyperdrive tracking pretty much has to exist in some form or another, in order for ships to be able to pursue other ships through hyperspace to their destination. I've previously discussed my thoughts on the matter here. It has even been shown in action in the Black Fleet Trilogy, where an Imperial patrol ship (a Strike Cruiser, IIRC) followed the Teljkon Vagabond through hyperspace, and was able to detect when it had dropped out of hyperspace by its "soliton wave" emissions.

However, that doesn't mean there shouldn't be limits placed on it.

Quote:
So this is used to trick someone chasing you into thinking you are going somewhere close that you are not, and by the time they come out of lightspeed in the gravity well, you are on your way out of the system in a different direction.

I could also see it operating on a larger scale, as a counter to the Pursuit/Recon Line tracking procedure described in the Imperial Sourcebook. As described, a Pursuit Line (likely Carrack Cruisers) would tail escaping ships until they jumped into hyperspace, then use their Hyperspace Signal Interceptors to get a read on the target's course. They would then follow the target to its destination, at which point Recon ships would be called in to scout out the destination system.

However, what you're suggesting offers an obvious counter, in that a ship trying to evade being tracked could plot a course that takes it very close to a destination in one system, shoots straight through the system and takes off on an alternate course. The "skipping" aspect could be either "skipping" off the gravity well of a planetary or stellar body in the system, or it could be the metaphorical "skipping" of a stop in-system.

It would still greatly increase the jump's Astrogation Difficulty, but would also make the ship much harder to track.

Whill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
<Whill's Lightspeed Skipping idea>

Oooh. I like this very much.

Shocked ...Cool. Thanks.

CRMcNeill wrote:
It immediately brings to mind the concept of gravity assist in astrodynamics, but with a very cool Star Wars twist to it. I can see Han pulling something like this in the Falcon to throw off pursuit. A few maneuvers, indeed.
Some additional thoughts...
Whill wrote:
I like lightspeed tracking not existing, where you can only estimate probable destinations from the last known trajectory (as mentioned in TESB).

I have to disagree here; because of the layout of hyperdrive routes in the WEG system, hyperdrive tracking pretty much has to exist in some form or another, in order for ships to be able to pursue other ships through hyperspace to their destination. I've previously discussed my thoughts on the matter here. ...However, that doesn't mean there shouldn't be limits placed on it.

Well, "lightspeed tracking not existing" was a poor choice of words on my part. My lightspeed skipping idea is to throw off someone trying to track you, so lightspeed tracking does exist to some extent or there would be no point to the maneuver. Vader's star destroyer did successfully follow Leia's ship from Scarif to Tatooine. What I was referring to was lightspeed tracking as shown in the DT, where it is an automatic success if the pursuer has it and you absolutely cannot escape from it as long as it is activated. So whatever explanation is involved in Vader's TESB quote "Calculate every possible destination along their last known trajectory" does exist. But it is not a gimme like in the DT. Even though TRoS ridiculously miniaturized and mass produced it, it is the same tech in TLJ. In the lightspeed skipping scene of TRoS, the Falcon didn't lose any TIEs by them miscalculating and not following the Falcon. The tech was fool-proof. He lost them by them colliding with the obstructions that he was flying through. I like that 'no-limits' tech not existing. I like the DT not existing in my head canon. The rest of the films do.

CRMcNeill wrote:
Quote:
So this is used to trick someone chasing you into thinking you are going somewhere close that you are not, and by the time they come out of lightspeed in the gravity well, you are on your way out of the system in a different direction.

I could also see it operating on a larger scale...

However, what you're suggesting offers an obvious counter, in that a ship trying to evade being tracked could plot a course that takes it very close to a destination in one system, shoots straight through the system and takes off on an alternate course. The "skipping" aspect could be either "skipping" off the gravity well of a planetary or stellar body in the system, or it could be the metaphorical "skipping" of a stop in-system.

What I was envisioning was skipping off a gravity well by the failsafe without dropping out of hyperspace, to change course. On a larger scale (going through a system on the way to another system), my idea isn't really needed because ships can more easily change course in hyperspace on a larger scale (even if it all had to planned with the initial jump). The way I see it, the larger the scale, the less effective tracking is going anyway because they are an exponentially increasing the amount of "possible destinations".

What I envisioned is mainly to trick a close pursuer into thinking you are doing a quick micro-jump and relying on the failsafe to stop you, but then when they follow you, not only are you not there because you never dropped out of hyperspace, and not only are you on a different course now, but they are in a gravity well so can't immediately re-jump (without added difficulty) even if they had an idea where you might really be going.

Jumping from one system and going through another system but changing course in hyperspace to yet another system seems pretty mundane so doesn't seem like it would need a special term. Now since realspace mass does cast a gravity shadow into hyperspace, I think this idea definitely could apply the real-world gravity assist concept because navicomputers should know the positions of stars or gas giants of known systems at any given moment so could use them to "slingshot" the starship to a different direction from when it entered the system. Hyperspace journeys really already have to consider this because the galaxy as a whole is moving, and plotting a safe course hyperspace is navigating around massive bodies as needed.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
The tech was fool-proof. He lost them by them colliding with the obstructions that he was flying through. I like that 'no-limits' tech not existing.

That makes sense. Even in my own version, the pursuing ship's Astrogation section still has to do their jobs to make the tracking course happen, not simply sit back and let the computers do all the work.

CRMcNeill wrote:
What I was envisioning was skipping off a gravity well by the failsafe without dropping out of hyperspace, to change course. On a larger scale (going through a system on the way to another system), my idea isn't really needed because ships can more easily change course in hyperspace on a larger scale (even if it all had to planned with the initial jump). The way I see it, the larger the scale, the less effective tracking is going anyway because they are an exponentially increasing the amount of "possible destinations".

My take is that, in order to generate an accurate tracking solution, the pursuing ship must be close enough to get a good sensor read on the target ship's initial trajectory when jumping to hyperspace. This then is used as a starting point for soliton wave tracking to follow the twists and turns of the target's course through to its destination.

If the pursuing ship doesn't get a good read on the target's jump trajectory (as in the case of the Avenger in ESB, where there was no good read because there wasn't a jump in the first place), the pursuer has to make an educated guess and extrapolate possible destinations based on the last known trajectory.

One possible advantage I could see to the interstellar variant of this would be to handwave that passing that close to a gravity well louses up soliton wave tracking, so while the actual calculation itself isn't easy, if you pull it off, any potential pursuers will lose your trail because of the "skip".

Quote:
What I envisioned is mainly to trick a close pursuer into thinking you are doing a quick micro-jump and relying on the failsafe to stop you, but then when they follow you, not only are you not there because you never dropped out of hyperspace, and not only are you on a different course now, but they are in a gravity well so can't immediately re-jump (without added difficulty) even if they had an idea where you might really be going.

I think both ideas are usable, but I would want to hammer out the game rules for in-system micro-jumps, and then extrapolate from that to flesh this out.

Quote:
Jumping from one system and going through another system but changing course in hyperspace to yet another system seems pretty mundane so doesn't seem like it would need a special term. Now since realspace mass does cast a gravity shadow into hyperspace, I think this idea definitely could apply the real-world gravity assist concept because navicomputers should know the positions of stars or gas giants of known systems at any given moment so could use them to "slingshot" the starship to a different direction from when it entered the system. Hyperspace journeys really already have to consider this because the galaxy as a whole is moving, and plotting a safe course hyperspace is navigating around massive bodies as needed.

Theoretically, though, gravity can throw a ship off course in hyperspace, even if just by a fraction of a degree, and the navcomputer's inertial guidance isn't equipped to adjust for it (represented by increased Astrogation Difficulty due to proximity to a gravity well). As such, I think ships avoid stellar and planetary bodies as much as possible unless they have a specific purpose for going to a system, such as business in that system, or (as we are discussing here) accepting the trade-off of a much more difficult Astrogation skill roll in order to lose a pursuer. It's even possible that a ship captain could accept the potential for an off-course result just to lose a pursuer; he's practically guaranteed to end up in deep space somewhere at random, but once there, he can take his time to calculate a new course.

Here's a theory: recall Han's quote from ANH ("Without precise calculations, we could fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova, and that would end your trip real quick, wouldn't it.") Suppose Han was deliberately plotting a course that had him "skipping" one or more stellar bodies in order to throw off his soliton wake

Whill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah my idea was indeed for close pursuit where the ship has good sensor information on the jump, and it appears to be a simply micro-jump in system but turns out not to be if the pursued ship was successful in the maneuver.

On the interstellar scale, I can see using massive bodies in some way could to throw off pursuers, I just wouldn't call that "lightspeed skipping".
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Yeah my idea was indeed for close pursuit where the ship has good sensor information on the jump, and it appears to be a simply micro-jump in system but turns out not to be if the pursued ship was successful in the maneuver.

On the interstellar scale, I can see using massive bodies in some way could to throw off pursuers, I just wouldn't call that "lightspeed skipping".

Definitely not. I think "hyper-skipping" rolls off the tongue more cleanly. And I don't see anything technically impossible about the micro or macro version; the main difference seems to be in what sort of jump constitutes the first leg of the skip, in-system micro-jump or a more normal trans-stellar jump.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A thought on this came up in a private discussion. tl;dr version is that a couple very sharp minds agree that in-system micro-jumps are definitely a thing in the SWU, and further postulated that in-system ships that don't list hyperdrives on their stats may actually be equipped with slow hyperdrives (as in, similar multipliers to backup hyperdrives).

It makes me wonder if the concept of a backup hyperdrive might be too narrow; a secondary drive used to move from planet to planet within a system (possibly with lower Astrogation Difficulties and Consumables usage) seems like a useful device for most ships.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill, with regard to intra-system hyperspace jumps, how do you handle Astrogation and travel times? I'm partial to reconfiguring my stats for Hyperdrive Backups as something more general (such as having in-system travel times be measured in minutes, then multiplied by the backup modifier to result in travel times of 20-30 minutes between planets. Navigation, on the other hand, should be absurdly simple, seeing as how even in systems without navigation assistance, there would be more than enough real-time sensor data to approximate course data with relative ease.

Whill

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not using the primary hyperdrive for microjumps makes some sense. Hyperdrives move ships thousands of times the speed of light. For a real world sense of scale, Earth's moon is 1.3 light seconds away from Earth, and Neptune is over 4 light hours away at any given time of the planet's years. Most in-system microjumps aren't even going to be as far as Earth to Neptune because it will normally be between planets in close orbit or gas giant moon to moon. Traveling thousands of times the speed of light is so fast that an in-system microjump could be virtually instantaneous. I disagree that navigation would be simple, because the main Astrogation difficulty would be in programming the microjump to not overshoot your target. Using a slower hyperdrive would only help a little though because even backup hyperdrives are still extremely fast on an in-system scale, so the jumps would still be near instantaneous.

In my concept of hyperspace, the dimension itself is "fast". I find that I am resistant to the idea of upgrading the backup hyperdrive to a general slower hyperdrive (or adding a third hyperdrive to ships) for in-system microjumps. It seems like there wouldn't be much use for them because the majority of known star systems in the SW galaxy are portrayed as having a single planet or moon of interest in every system. You can safely enter and exit hyperspace relatively close to these points of interest. In most situations in most star systems, microjumps just wouldn't be necessary. So at this point I'm thinking that the secondary hyperdrive should remain a "backup" unit and thus only designed for emergency use, so it needs refurbished after each use. If so, then the primary hyperdrive would still normally be the one used for microjumps with the difficulty being a little higher than standard due to the ship having to exit hyperspace within milliseconds to seconds of entering it.

But I'm open to considering more of the discussion about it here.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That might be the case in a good portion of worlds, but a lot of others are going to have at least some form of colonization or industry on other planets, even if just something like zero-g mining in asteroid fields and the like. There's all kinds of reasons why ships might need to move quickly in-system, even if there's only one "planet of note." The System Patrol Ship, for example, would find a lot of utility in being able to use a x12 or x15 hyperdrive to rapidly move from point to point in a system, chasing intruders and other incidents, and the in-system travel times posited by WEG make a lot more sense if there's some sort of "low-end" FTL drive involved.

MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, something to consider, from KOTOR 2...

When you're leaving Peragus, there's some asteroid drift charts you need to get onto your ship's computer, so you can navigate the massive asteroid field in the system. This is fairly simply done, but it still raises the question... if I am in an inhabited system (say, Tattooine or Naboo...a presence, but not necessarily a metropolis like Coruscant or Corellia), what are the chances that the astrogation for in-system jumps would actually be really, really low, simply because practically every cubic centimeter of the system is mapped? Like, if I need to jump from Kashyyyk to Trandosha, that space is under constant monitoring, and I would imagine it would be a lot easier to make that trip... just because its a trip so many people have made.

Conversely, if I'm in some backwater system that's never heard of the BoSS, such a jump might be a bit hazardous, because jumping from the habitable third planet to the big gas giant that's fifth, you might miss a patch of Trojans or something because no-one has properly mapped the system.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: