The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Origin of Kyber Crystals
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Origin of Kyber Crystals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Origin of Kyber Crystals Reply with quote

Does anyone know when these became a thing? Like, I know that crystals have long been involved in lightsaber construction, and as early as Knights of the Old Republic, there were special crystals you got that altered the function of your light saber, but does anyone remember when kyber crystals became THE crystals of lightsabers? And that evil-force users forced them and turned them red, instead of a color matching their personal aura?
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea of the (or a) "K" crystal (the spelling has varied) goes back to the early drafts of A New Hope. The Death Star used such a crystal as its power source and Luke focused his mind to destroy it.

They've turned up in numerous iterations since. I'm not sure when they evolved into the crystals inside lightsabers but it was relatively early. I remember knowing that lightsabers worked off of crystals inside them back in the late 80's to mid 90's. I have a specific memory of it coming up in a 90's comic where a bunch of people are sitting around learning to make lightsabers. A Jedi trainee says they think they ruined a crystal and asked the master for another one.

It might have come up in Splinter of the Mind's Eye but it's been decades since I read that.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Origin of Kyber Crystals Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Does anyone know when these became a thing? Like, I know that crystals have long been involved in lightsaber construction, and as early as Knights of the Old Republic, there were special crystals you got that altered the function of your light saber, but does anyone remember when kyber crystals became THE crystals of lightsabers? And that evil-force users forced them and turned them red, instead of a color matching their personal aura?
TauntaunScout wrote:
The idea of the (or a) "K" crystal (the spelling has varied) goes back to the early drafts of A New Hope. The Death Star used such a crystal as its power source and Luke focused his mind to destroy it.

They've turned up in numerous iterations since. I'm not sure when they evolved into the crystals inside lightsabers but it was relatively early. I remember knowing that lightsabers worked off of crystals inside them back in the late 80's to mid 90's. I have a specific memory of it coming up in a 90's comic where a bunch of people are sitting around learning to make lightsabers. A Jedi trainee says they think they ruined a crystal and asked the master for another one.

It might have come up in Splinter of the Mind's Eye but it's been decades since I read that.

Kaiburr crystal - Behind the scenes
Lightsaber crystal - Behind the scenes

Yes, the Splinter of the Mind's Eye novel used the Star Wars draft idea of a "Kaiburr Crystal" that amplified Force powers, but the crystals weren't in lightsabers.

I believe the first reference to lightsaber crystals was WEG's The Star Wars Sourcebook (1987) except they are called jewels (p.101). One to three jewels were used in the construction of lightsabers.

KotOR may have been the first source to mention "kyber crystals" as one type of lightsaber crystal. According to Wookieepedia, "kyber" specifically did not become the crystals of lightsabers until Disney Canon in or after 2014.

Back in 1983, I hadn't read Splinter of the Mind's Eye yet but a couple of my friends had and told me about it (I don't think I read it until the early 90s). In 1988-89, I was inspired by the "magic Force crystal" idea of early drafts of Star Wars or Splinter of the Mind's Eye, and the SWSb to devise that the lightsaber jewel inside of my campaign's Force PC's lightsaber was (unbeknownst to the PCs) "one of the lost Kaiburr Crystal shards" which had some unexpected properties. So I had a "Kaiburr Crystal" in a lightsaber in 1989.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Potroclo
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, on Splinter of the Mind's Eye novelization, lightsabers had gems on the outside as control thingies, just behind the disc that originally represented the lightsaber's emitter. But somehow WEG read it as the crystals being inside the emitter.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Potroclo wrote:
Apparently, on Splinter of the Mind's Eye novelization, lightsabers had gems on the outside as control thingies, just behind the disc that originally represented the lightsaber's emitter. But somehow WEG read it as the crystals being inside the emitter.

No, I do not think that WEG somehow misread that as crystals being inside of it. It looks like an intentional lightsaber design element for the fluff in the Lightsaber chapter.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: