The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Rise of Skywalker (original post-release thread)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> The Rise of Skywalker (original post-release thread) Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:29 pm    Post subject: The Rise of Skywalker (original post-release thread) Reply with quote

This is the original SPOILER discussion thread for The Rise of Skywalker.

PLEASE NOTE: If you do not care about being spoiled on TRoS, please keep in mind that posting in this thread during the TRoS spoiler observance period is meant for those who have actually seen the film. Thanks.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:38 pm; edited 6 times in total
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Rise of Skywalker (SPOILERS HERE ONLY) Reply with quote

If you haven't seen the movie and you are reading this, that means you may have failed your willpower check. Spend some CPs and try again!

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:11 am    Post subject: opening crawl Reply with quote

STAR
WARS

EPISODE IX
THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

The dead speak! The galaxy has heard a mysterious broadcast, a threat of REVENGE in the sinister voice of the late EMPEROR PALPATINE.

GENERAL LEIA ORGANA dispatches secret agents to gather intelligence, while REY, the last hope of the Jedi, trains for battle against the diabolical FIRST ORDER.

Meanwhile, Supreme Leader KYLO REN rages in search of the phantom Emperor, determined to destroy any threat to his power.

some TRoS music
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:38 am; edited 2 times in total
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
nuclearwookiee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That good, huh?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard from several folk who've already seen it, it is not just a train wreck, but it even makes Jar-jar look awesome..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I intend to be thoroughly and utterly Spoiled on this movie before I set foot in the theater, for a multitude of reasons, and assuming I go see it at all, it will be either an Early Bird Matinee or I’ll wait for it to hit the $1 theater.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
*** FILM RANT GUIDE 2019 ***

There will be a lot of complaining about The Rise of Skywalker. As a friendly reminder, above are the most relevant forum guidelines. Before the bloodbath begins, I thought it would be important to have a handy quick reference guide. I am willing to slightly relax my usual standard about film bashing (extreme negativity) but only with the following strict stipulations:

1. If you haven't seen the movie, your opinions about it are unwanted during the spoiler restriction period. (This is a no-brainer and should go without saying, but the worst bashing that Solo got here was from someone who was just going by what his cousin had told him about it.)
    2. Be as positive as you want about anything, no limitations there! Please share any positivity you can!
    3. Do not even mention race, gender, sexual orientation, SJW pandering, political agendas, etc. Just don't go there.
    4. Your subjective opinions about the films are not facts.
    5. Do not criticize other fans for liking something more than you do. Talk about the films, not each other. Do not make it personal. Rejoice for those who's fandom is more powerful than yours. If someone else enjoys a Star Wars film you don't, let them.
    6. There's still no need to be melodramatic about it. Your childhood still has not actually been ruined.

Please be advised that I may just edit the posts of others if needed, but repeat offenders will get warnings. Temporary bans are always on the table if need be, but I am hoping that won't be necessary.

Please apply the same guidelines to the content of webpages that links are shared for. This is your chance to vent your frustrations about the films so please don't ruin it. Thank you.

I feel it is important for us to be able to vent about the film and the DT. This will allow us to eventually put the DT behind us and move on.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:39 pm; edited 4 times in total
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from the theater, and I really liked it for the most part. The hyperdrive skipping into planet's atmospheres I could have done without.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

griff wrote:
Just got back from the theater, and I really liked it for the most part. The hyperdrive skipping into planet's atmospheres I could have done without.

Yeah, the atmo skipping was kind of a weird shark jump that I didn't need. In TFA it was a big deal that they were coming out of lightspeed in atmo. Now, you just go in and out as you want. But if that's the biggest critique, then we'll call this a win.

I was really surprised that Palpatine wasn't a Force ghost. Since it is now cannon that no one dies from falling from a terrific height, I want an external shot of Couruscant Central Hospital, coma wing. We see the camera pan over the chart of a John Doe, missing a right hand. As the camera pans up we see an elderly Samuel Jackson wake with a start and say, "What'd I miss?"

But, I can live with that. I had a really good time at the theater with my family. We've been watching all the Star Wars Saga films in the weeks preceeding the release of Rise of the Skywalker. I enjoyed the film, and I'm going to go see it again with my brother-in-law next week. The film isn't high art, I never expected it to be evocative of the wonder I experienced with the OT, but knowing that going in, I enjoyed the movie.

I actually thought that Daisey Ridley showed a struggle with anger far better than her predecessors. And I was also really impressed with how they used Carie Fisher's old footage in the film. I was expecting to see her shoehorned into the movie in a few places, but I felt like it was really a part of the narrative.
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

griff wrote:
The hyperdrive skipping into planet's atmospheres I could have done without.

Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy! Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it?

Yeah, right. TIEs (they had hyperdrives - I am ok with that) with an immediate tracking with an instant follow up? (I am not sure about it)"

Falcon's malfunction of landing claps = crash landing with a long landing mark in the ground? It could hover on antigravity and gently descent.

From Force Vision to Force Teleport - a new and pracitcal application of a "life bond".

What was the idea for Palpli to have an offspring? The creation of "Kwisatz Haderach" (just as vessel)?

"Transfer essence" now official (with slight modifications) - or just maybe from Papli point of view?

Thousands of Sith live in Palpi? As a knowledge and tradition, metaphorically so to speak?

So one fleet so vast to pose a threat to every inhabitet planet in the galaxy at the same time? There's to many planets (unregistered colonies, settlements, possibly millions).

Just for a sec I was hoping that Rey will die at the end and Ben will continue Jedi legacy.

Force Lighting on a new level (fortunately only ion damage). Flexible power use. I was just reading new Force Rules for my campaign based on a simplified d6 Space: determine range, determine area, determine effect, add the tolal difficulty and roll. Now I am sure that's the way.

Force Heal another: Too bad other Jedi had no access to it Wink

Ion cannons = green turbolasers.

Force ghost can interact with physical realm.

Using the Force may kill you (it was present in d20 rpg as a balance mechanism to avoid Force overuse). I do not see this in the movies (PT and OT), nor in the d6.

I had an impession that the movie was so packed with the content, it would be enough for at least 2 movies.

More soon...
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'd read ahead of time that Palpatine was alive/clone transferred (or something) Rey was Palpy's grandchild, I think I would have thought, "this is going to be so stupid." But I think it really worked in the narrative.
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This transfer essence would only have worked if Rey had kill Palpi in rage and surrender herself to the Dark Side.

Ion engines should not produce smoke from the exhaust (in space too)
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What still irks me is that all three movies of ST weren't planned out (or at the very least outlined) ahead of time before they were scripted and filmed. More than a few people (myself included) have referred to this as "chain mail writing" and enough (virtual) ink has already been (metaphorically) spilled on that topic. This fact couldn't help but contribute to many people's opinion (mine included) that TROS felt like a tacked-on ending to the ST.

That being said, in my opinion TROS did feel like a sufficiently epic ending to the Skywalker Saga. Yes, had the ST story been planned out ahead of time, TROS could have been even more awesome than it was. But I still thoroughly enjoyed myself while watching this movie, despite its flaws. The ending of the saga could have been better, but it was still a worthy and great end. And the themes of the movie (only your choices, not your bloodline, define who you are; your family of choice matters more than the family you were born to) are ones that I found heartwarming and especially appropriate for Star Wars and the ST in particular. That more than made up for the tacked-on feel of TROS to the ST.

My $0.02.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

griff, cheshire, and Sutehp, I'm happy to see that you all found some enjoyment watching the film.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: