The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

A Theory on Ewoks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> A Theory on Ewoks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject: A Theory on Ewoks Reply with quote

From a friend of a friend named Theron Bretz, a theory about Endor and the Ewoks:

So, here's the deal. Everyone sees the Ewoks as these primitives who take on the might of the Empire and yeah, Lucas claims he was inspired by the Viet Cong, yadda, yadda, yadda.

The problem is, these "primitives" manage pretty well with a few pieces of Imperial tech, notably a speeder bike and an AT-ST. Better than some illiterates randomly pushing buttons, IMO. And then there's the matter of Leia's makeover at the end of RotJ. That was not the work of people unfamiliar with humans and I don't mean from cooking them.

So, this is my theory: Ewoks are a fairly advanced people, most space weeks out of the galactic year. They aren't even from the Forest Moon of Endor. Their homeworld is heavily urbanized, and the aforementioned Forest Moon is basically a primitive campground they use for getaways, and -- most important to my theory -- historical re-enactment weekends. You see, the Ewoks, aware of their accomplishments and technical prowess, nonetheless look back with a certain fondness on an earlier, more innocent time. Some of them go so far as to try to recreate that primitive culture for fun and education. A place like the Forest Moon of Endor is ideal for their re-enactment events.

So, what you have in RotJ is a situation where the Empire, unaware of the Forest Moon's tourist trade, shows up during what amounts to Pennsic War, and DOESN'T LEAVE. The Ewoks have a choice: reveal themselves to the notably racist Empire and get enslaved or worse, or hide out in the woods, using the skills they've learned playing primitives on the weekend. Given that accountants and programmers make lousy manual laborers, I think their path was clear.

It was the first time in months that Ch’ippi was able to use his hairdressing skills.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this, it fall into my own "ewoks are mini wookies" theory.
While I never had them form elsewhere and I had them as primitive in technology, however with a good maybe great instictual affinity for techinology.

I was to give it a special ability it would be "Technologiacally curious."
Iwould basically have this reduce any difficulty with one step Aka easy tec/mec skill.
To wicket seems to be "chaking out" and being curiously "explorative" in his speeder interaction.

If we look to the wookies, they have tech........to me it seems low tech comapered to corellia, coruscant etc.
we see them with the bow casters mostly, a primitve but effective weapon.

so to me the tech of wookies and ewoks would not be far appart.......as well as their strenght score, with the wookie being 6D II would rate the ewok above human 4D and less than 6D landing me on a 5D.

But gods hi tech urban furrballs is even more dangerous.....
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: A Theory on Ewoks Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
...Lucas claims he was inspired by the Viet Cong, yadda, yadda, yadda.

The problem is, these "primitives" manage pretty well with a few pieces of Imperial tech, notably a speeder bike and an AT-ST. Better than some illiterates randomly pushing buttons, IMO. And then there's the matter of Leia's makeover at the end of RotJ. That was not the work of people unfamiliar with humans and I don't mean from cooking them...

But a fire was lit under Han. They were going to eat cook humans and eat them until the golden god starting floating through the air. That's taking reenactment to quite an extreme!

Lucas wasn't just inspired by the Viet Cong. There is inherent symbolism in the Ewoks that is a reoccurring theme running through Star Wars. Don't rely on technology too much. Technology won't save you. Vader expressed it to the Death Star officers. Vader, who was revealed to be a cyborg. Luke turned off his targeting computer and destroyed a technological terror. The Ewoks defeated a technologically superior enemy. The Ewoks were intentionally primitives to help illustrate the message. They were originally Wookiees but Chewbacca had developed into a technologically adept character so that wouldn't be as meaningful as a fully primitive species. Taking the primitiveness away from the Ewoks is removing some very important symbolism from the film. I highly recommend everyone watch The Power of Myth or read a Joseph Campbell book.

Remember that The Empire could have been there for years and Ewoks may have picked up some very basics with the tech by watching the humans. Paploo didn't do that well with the speeder bike. Repulsorlift tech keeps it above the ground, and he didn't control it very well at all. He had to abandon it pretty soon. The Ewoks in the AT-ST looked like they had immediately just started pressing buttons and pulling levels at random. It had barely just started it moving before Chewbacca took over control. And Leia's hair was all tied up before so she just let it out. Anything else done to it could have been done herself. And as far as the dress, she could have just taken some animal hides the Ewoks let her use and sewed it all together herself to make the dress. I've spent a lot of time thinking about it over the years and I do not have any issues with the Ewoks being a primitive species and doing what they did in the film.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: