The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The singular force: the force as an attribute
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> The singular force: the force as an attribute Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject: The singular force: the force as an attribute Reply with quote

With this article I have a question about natural aptitude Force powers.

Would it make sense if one wanted a NA for a power that required a prerequisite power, you would need to make the prerequisite powers NA also?

I have Force 3D
I want Instinctive Navigation: Sense as a NA.
I would need to take Magnify Senses as a NA first?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think about it when writing the article, but that's a fair rule. It also keeps characters from NA'ing something high-end like TK Kill.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the article it limits the player character to 3D Force.

I was wondering about the intentions of that limitation?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savar wrote:

The intention is to maintain the uniqueness of film-character Force Sensitive NPCs like Luke, Anakin, Yoda, etc, by giving them a much higher natural aptitude to justify in part why they can do things PCs can’t.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Savar wrote:

The intention is to maintain the uniqueness of film-character Force Sensitive NPCs like Luke, Anakin, Yoda, etc, by giving them a much higher natural aptitude to justify in part why they can do things PCs can’t.

Makes sense. With PC's having max of 3D, it also works out that for the standard 18D attribute PC, all the RAW Force PC templates can still work out to have the same # of dice allocated to non-Force attributes because none of them have less than 15D.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question on how this works.

Falied Jedi

Force 2D

Control
Sense

Sp doe this mean that the now Force Atribute works just like Strength?

Strenght: 3D
Brawling: 3D
Climbing 3D
etc

meaning that both Contol and sense are 2D

If you have force 3D, you than have 3D to any of the three skills or ?

Basically I have a young jedi force 3D, with all three skills. however what is each skill rated as 3D, or 1D (x3 for 3D total)
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which article are you on about?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

It's the article I wrote for Issue 4 of the Adventurer's Journal, for treating the Force as an Attribute, and not as individual skills. You can find the pdf on the Downloads page, or in the topic where we fleshed out the details.

Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Adventurer's journal issue 4 in the tools archive.

it has a small article there about the singular force concept
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
I have a question on how this works.

Yes, it works just like an Attribute, so if you have 2D, you have 2D in Control and Sense. The main (optional) difference is that the GM can limit which skills a character has access to, such as requiring that a character be trained in a skill to learn it, or apply prerequisites, such as requiring that characters must have at least 3D in their Force Attribute to be able to learn and use Alter.

Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what happens then if I choose to raise lets say contol over a few quests, attaining 2D in it. with 1D in alter and sense.

do I now still have 3D force?
and do thise skills now work as specilalities force +control=total dice rolled
or does this simply help me unlock and better apply and use cotrol based powers?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
what happens then if I choose to raise lets say contol over a few quests, attaining 2D in it. with 1D in alter and sense.

Yes. Your Force Attribute is still at 3D, even though you have improved your Force skills above the Attribute. The only way to increase the Force Attribute is to use the RAW method for improving an Attribute (assuming you allow that to happen at all).

Quote:
and do thise skills now work as specilalities force +control=total dice rolled

Why would they do that? They're still listed as skills, and I'm unaware of any way for characters to specialize in them.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Mamatried wrote:
...what happens then if I choose to raise lets say contol over a few quests, attaining 2D in it. with 1D in alter and sense.

Yes. Your Force Attribute is still at 3D, even though you have improved your Force skills above the Attribute. The only way to increase the Force Attribute is to use the RAW method for improving an Attribute (assuming you allow that to happen at all)...

Mamatried, in your examples you have Force skills below the attribute. I think that is the source of your confusion. If you have 3D in Dexterity, then you automatically have 3D in Blaster and 3D in Dodge, even without allocating any skill dice to them or improving them. Likewise, if you have 3D in Force then you automatically have 3D in Control and Sense. The Force skills default to the attribute. The only way you could have 1D in Force skills is if you only had 1D in the Force attribute.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using this system, or trying to at least. It makes sense to a degree, even with some maybe silly questions still lingering.

I was wondering about power and the difference between a force 3D character and a force 1D character

lets say both have all three sorce skills raised to 6D, so 6D in Alter, control and sense.

who is the stronger force user?
Both have 6D in the force skills and for this example they know the smae force powers.

lets say they are asoiring sith who like to ZAP things with their zappy zap power, what is the difference in their power strenght, is the actual force attribute here irellevant and everything depends on skill, in that case having anuything above 1D issilly and a waste as it will give nothing extra.

Or is it maybe so that if a force attribute 1D character uses his zappety zap which is alter+control both rolling with 6D, deal LESS damage than the one with 3D in force attribute and rolling his 6D for the Zappy Zap.

After all what makes Palpatine's 4D or something in force dice worth it if any odd force adept can increase their control and alter to get pwerful zappy zaps too, delaing just as much damage in theory with the samel level of skill.

All I can see is that the 1D force user here gains something from him having 2D more to attribute and default skills.

I am inclined to remove the force attribute completely, and let the skills be skills, however at the intial 10cp cost for the first 1D.

any template with 1D to alter, control and sense, I would add 3D to attributes but reduce the startin skill dice by the manout spent on force skills.

To me this make much more sense given that about 9/10 write ups of any force user has all 18D to attibutes in addition to their force skills , most above 1D. and given then the costof raising no less than 3D to attibutes at a x10 cpcost, makes it strange that characters at all can have this.

Again I am back to seeing a skill as that with no addedrule regarding it, any one force sensitive will like anyone else be born with 18D to attributes, have 7D to skills, but becuse if a set path of training, 3 of the 7D was spent on the three force skills, leaving now "only" 4

Again I finfd this more in tuen with the spirit of star wars and whart we actually see, Ican not picture anakin as a weakiling, born less dexterous than others, less strong or smart, jsut becuse he has the force......the was was and should IMO always be a BOON, not somethng to be really be balanced out other than by the very narrow path chosen in gmae style to pevent the 6 (and game over) accumulated DSPS.

How is loosing 3D to attributes, worth upto 100+ if not several 100cps, traded for somenting worth 30 cp (10 pr skill for 1d) and then having to send additional cp to boost this, and then some how this is balanced?

I am not getting how by making the Force ability, we balance things out, since the actual amount of attribute dice in your force attributee had zeo meaaning other than you maybe start oout with slightly higher skill dice in the foce skill, something all can get to, dpending on the choises made.

Who is more powerful at 6D in alter and Control, in Zappy Zapping if one has
Force: 1D
Control 6D
Alter 6D
-Force Lightning

or

Force 3D
Control 6D
Alter 6D
-Force Lighting

whois stronger, and if only the skill of 6D decides, then why would anyone ever want to have more than 1D to the force attribute, given the extrmemcost this can be, upt severla 100s of cp balanceing between 15D and 18D to attributes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: