The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The singular force: the force as an attribute
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> The singular force: the force as an attribute Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer is, if both characters have 6D in all three Force skills, they are equal in power, but the character with 1D in the Force Attribute had to invest a lot more time and energy (aka CP) into achieving that level of power than did the character with a Force of 3D. The Attribute represents natural ability, not total power level.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using Force attribute for a long time. It works perfectly, although I'm limiting it's maximum to something around 1D+2 (All Jedi players take maximum anyways). This allows to create a sensible starting Jedi character able to use Force without being crippled (by subtracting 3D or so from other attributes).

Control, Sense and Alter are skills, but to balance the game, Force skill improvement costs twice the value before D (e.g. 3D+2 -> 4D costs 6CPs). This way I eliminated common problem of Force using players that they start very weak, but with time they overpower all non Force users.

It's possible to improve Force attribute during the game, but it's not worth of effort (it's cheaper to raise all Force skills instead).
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tupteq wrote:
Control, Sense and Alter are skills, but to balance the game, Force skill improvement costs twice the value before D (e.g. 3D+2 -> 4D costs 6CPs). This way I eliminated common problem of Force using players that they start very weak, but with time they overpower all non Force users.

AFAIC, this is as it should be. I didn't feel the need to re-write the entire Force chapter, so any changes that aren't mentioned would be as written in the rulebook, including double CP cost if improving without a trainer.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most recent thread on this, and the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of a Force attribute. Force Sensitive requires at least 1D in the Force attribute. Existing Templates take the Force Skills and translate them into the Force Attribute... the Young Jedi is stronger than the Failed Jedi, who is stronger than the Minor Jedi or Quixotic Jedi.

Actual skill dice in Control, Sense, and Alter get you powers... I'd say you roll your skill dice (not your force dice) to see how many powers you have at character creation (which indicates how many your master had). So, if you have Force 3D, and 4D in Control, you roll 1D to find out how many Control powers you have. If you also have 4D in Sense and Alter, you roll 1D for each of those. If you 3D+1 or 3D+2 in each of them, you get just 1 power for each.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: