The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Species: Mauteuli (in progress)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Species: Mauteuli (in progress)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:38 pm    Post subject: Species: Mauteuli (in progress) Reply with quote

I am working on a custom species and would like input from the community on how best to emulate their special ability. Which is sensing energy fields. This allows them to sense the flow of energy and makes it easier to diagnose and possibly repair an item, vehicle, ship, etc. Below are two ideas: 1. a special innate special ability giving a blanket modifier, and 2. a skill based mechanic that if successful lowers the difficulty of a repair. Thoughts?

Quote:
Mauteuli
Personality:
Physical Description:
Homeworld: Mauteuli, located near the Unknown Regions is known for its massive, boiling clouds and upper atmosphere electrical storms. The highly energized atmosphere can also be seen at the planetary poles where there are magnificent ion curtains.
Languages: Mauteuli speak, read, and write Krixsee and Basic.
Example Names: Maas, Kerr, Tiigoraa, Plentii.
Adventurers:

MAUTEULI
Homeworld: Mauteuli
Attribute Dice: 12D
DEXTERITY 2D/4D
KNOWLEDGE 2D/4D
MECHANICAL 2D/4D
PERCEPTION 2D/4D
STRENGTH 2D/4D
TECHNICAL 2D/4D
Special Ability:

-- Sense Energy Patterns: Mauteuli can sense the passage of energy, especially energy patterns within a closed system, such as equipment, vehicles, etc. This allows the species to quickly see where an issue is and sometimes an exploit. +1D modifier to Technical skill checks to diagnose and repair.
Move: 10
Size: 1.7-1.8 meters

or

Quote:
Special Skills:
Perception skills:
Sense Energy
Difficulty: Variable depending on the complexity of the item.
Time to use: One round to several minutes.
Effect: Mauteuli can sense the passage of energy, especially energy patterns within a closed system, such as equipment, vehicles, etc. This allows the species to quickly see where an issue is and sometimes an exploit. When sensing an energy field the character rolls their skill pool, if successful, the difficulty of the repair roll goes down one level.

http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of a check, even if it could slow the game down.

Rather then lowering the difficulty level have the sense energy check count

As a coordination bonus? Don't know what that would be, don't have my books on me.

Or take the amount rolled over the difficulty as a bonus to the repair roll?

I could see this being used for tracking down security wiring, to bypass the security system.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savar wrote:
Or take the amount rolled over the difficulty as a bonus to the repair roll?

I actually thought of this. I came up with two versions.

1. Difference between the difficulty level and the roll is the modifier for..
2. Difference between the difficulty level and the roll is the number of pips to calculate the modifier for...

a. ... diagnosis skill check.
b. ... repair skill check

Savar wrote:
I could see this being used for tracking down security wiring, to bypass the security system.

I was thinking the same thing, which is why I included, "...sometimes an exploit" I did not want to give a specific modifier for security because its not the main focus of the character, but I could easily see it being why players choose the species.

This is why I thought about the skill roll and set a difficulty for different things.

Example: Security door, the GM sets the difficulty for Sense Energy at Moderate. The players rolls 18, so they get a +3 or +1D to their security roll to get past the door.

Example: An old landspeeder is having maneuvering issues, the GM sets the difficulty for Sense Energy at Easy. The player again rolls 18, so they get a +8 or +2D+2 to fix the maneuvering rotors.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: