The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Ship design guide for GMs?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Ship design guide for GMs? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheEvilDM
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: Ship design guide for GMs? Reply with quote

Has anyone designed up some house rules for designing their own ships? I was curious to see what others have come up with. Normally I just kind of look at other ships, and base it off that when I make new ships.

is there anything official I've missed all these years?

Note: I really don't dive into R&E much, I tend to stick to 1e to 2e vanilla rules.

Edit: of course after I ask this question a book literally falls into my lap from the shelf. Galaxy Guide 6. But still I'd like to hear what others have come up with.
thanks!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are various home-brewed ship design rules out there, but the closest thing to an official system would be the ship design rules in the D6 Space supplement, D6 Ships.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
TheEvilDM
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
There are various home-brewed ship design rules out there, but the closest thing to an official system would be the ship design rules in the D6 Space supplement, D6 Ships.

could you throw me a place to find some? I would like to see what others have come up with. Maybe a person who did it that I can google?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Ship design guide for GMs? Reply with quote

TheEvilDM wrote:
Has anyone designed up some house rules for designing their own ships? I was curious to see what others have come up with. Normally I just kind of look at other ships, and base it off that when I make new ships.

is there anything official I've missed all these years?

Note: I really don't dive into R&E much, I tend to stick to 1e to 2e vanilla rules.

There isn't anything official in any edition of the WEG Star Wars line, as far as I can recall. There certainly could be some house rules out there. Dredwulf60 might have some because he has rules for almost everything.

TheEvilDM wrote:
Edit: of course after I ask this question a book literally falls into my lap from the shelf. Galaxy Guide 6. But still I'd like to hear what others have come up with.

GG6 has rules for modifying ships, not designing them (although it certainly can help with design).

CRMcNeill wrote:

And D6 Space Ships is available here. Check it out.

EvilDM, there is always the freehand design method, which I used to create the MC-13v2 Freighter stats and deckplan. I would suggest starting with an existing Star Wars ship as a basis, and make changes to it to suit your needs. Without a design system, the ultimate "balancing factor" is the sticker price. Since I thought that a lot of people would say my ship is too OP, I made it extremely expensive, double the price of the ship it was based on. No one's said the ship was too OP, but one person has told me they thought the price was too high. Star Wars has a completely fictional economy and I do not think that any resource, including the RPG, based pricing on any system with their published ships. I'm convinced that the pricing of things in the RPG, including spaceships, is largely arbitrary. But you can ballpark it to similar ships.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Stan Shinn
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking for Traveller-style crunchy rules, Cepheus Engine (OGL Traveller Retroclone) as well as Cepheus Light (spinoff game, simpler) have Traveller style rules you could adapt. Would probably be a bit of work though to make it compatible with Galaxy Guide 6 upgrade rules.
TheEvilDM
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Ship design guide for GMs? Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

EvilDM, there is always the freehand design method, which I used to create the MC-13v2 Freighter stats and deckplan. I would suggest starting with an existing Star Wars ship as a basis, and make changes to it to suit your needs. Without a design system, the ultimate "balancing factor" is the sticker price. Since I thought that a lot of people would say my ship is too OP, I made it extremely expensive, double the price of the ship it was based on. No one's said the ship was too OP, but one person has told me they thought the price was too high. Star Wars has a completely fictional economy and I do not think that any resource, including the RPG, based pricing on any system with their published ships. I'm convinced that the pricing of things in the RPG, including spaceships, is largely arbitrary. But you can ballpark it to similar ships.

Yeah, I have been doing it that way myself and was never able to find anything official. Was just curious. Thanks!
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also Fallon Kell's Starship Pricing System

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yK2j1KE0k4IRayRCwHN_JEVegcTAfdLq

He's pretty thorough, and I've been told that the system can get you in the ballpark price-wise on a lot of WEG official ships. Which is saying something since they didn't have a consistent system for generating ships.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
There's also Fallon Kell's Starship Pricing System

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yK2j1KE0k4IRayRCwHN_JEVegcTAfdLq

He's pretty thorough, and I've been told that the system can get you in the ballpark price-wise on a lot of WEG official ships. Which is saying something since they didn't have a consistent system for generating ships.

Whoa, cool. I need to add that to the RP Library. And I may just run the MC-13v2 through it and see what it comes up with. Thank you.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also the problem of in game ships having next to no concistency.
Over the years I've owned a few sci fi rpg:s with starship design rules, from original Traveller to Spacemaster. And some later I can't remember.

I have also over the years at least three times created D6 SW rules for ship design. Started out with GG6 and built energy management (with power core rules) and then assuming the gg6 system was for a 'standard light freighter' which could be extrapolated.

In the end don't expect any system to create existing ships..
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
There is also the problem of in game ships having next to no consistency.

That's certainly true of WEG SW.

And welcome back, ZzaphodD!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm glad he included the little bit on the third page, since he almost copied verbatim from what Krapou and I came up with way back when.

I was going to link my original, but since the above is so close you can just go with that. I also have this that someone else threw together back in the day. Not mine, but I saved it back in 2005.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vgFCK_GwyUlcBNAL4OJ06QVyzt2A6BmB/view?usp=sharing
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.rancorpit.com/forums/downloads/Other%20Fan-Made%20Supplements/Fallon_Kell_Complete_Starship_Pricing_System_2013.pdf

P.3 wrote:
The complete Starship Construction System by Fallon Kell 2011, based off of Star Wars Starship Pricing by Krapou 2011, in
turn based on original Starship Generation created by Grimace 2002, weapon construction module adapted from original
system by atgxtg 2011. Starship systems are based loosely on the format originally listed in WOTC’s Starships of the Galaxy.
Weapons systems based loosely on WEG’s Galaxy Guide 6: Tramp Freighters
Grimace wrote:
Well, I'm glad he included the little bit on the third page, since he almost copied verbatim from what Krapou and I came up with way back when.

I was going to link my original, but since the above is so close you can just go with that. I also have this that someone else threw together back in the day. Not mine, but I saved it back in 2005.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vgFCK_GwyUlcBNAL4OJ06QVyzt2A6BmB/view?usp=sharing

Thank you all for your contributions, and for sharing this too!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan Shinn wrote:
If you're looking for Traveller-style crunchy rules, Cepheus Engine (OGL Traveller Retroclone) as well as Cepheus Light (spinoff game, simpler) have Traveller style rules you could adapt. Would probably be a bit of work though to make it compatible with Galaxy Guide 6 upgrade rules.

And if you're looking for a "crunchy" rules for starships that isn't shackled by Star Wars (but still uses the D6 system), I have a much more thorough Starship construction system that handles a wide variety of ship types and technology levels.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:03 am    Post subject: Starship construction system Reply with quote

Grimace wrote:
And if you're looking for a "crunchy" rules for starships that isn't shackled by Star Wars (but still uses the D6 system), I have a much more thorough Starship construction system that handles a wide variety of ship types and technology levels.

So this is something different than the ship design system that's in D6 Space Ships? I'm sure some people might be interested in seeing it even if it is not Star Wars.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this is different than what was done in D6 Space Ships.

It utilizes the ship construction system that is based on the system used by WOTC starships book.

Here is the link to the generic starship construction PDF: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eyqqIjsKTAS1J3tkm4On7gwtFO68b-LJ/view?usp=sharing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: