The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Campaign Hooks That Tie Into Canon Questions
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Campaign Hooks That Tie Into Canon Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stan Shinn
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:10 pm    Post subject: Campaign Hooks That Tie Into Canon Questions Reply with quote

I love how Rogue One answered the question of 'where did they get the plans for the Death Star?' I love how The Mandalorian is beginning to answer questions like 'what is Yoda's species' and 'who are the Mandalorians?'

What are some campaign hooks that can tie into canon that answer other similar interesting questions in the Star Wars universe? In particular, ones that would work well for the Rebellion era (circa 4 ABY) in the Minos Cluster from Galaxy Guide 6?

I'd love to hear your ideas!
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: Campaign Hooks That Tie Into Canon Questions Reply with quote

Stan Shinn wrote:
I love how Rogue One answered the question of 'where did they get the plans for the Death Star?' I love how The Mandalorian is beginning to answer questions like 'what is Yoda's species' and 'who are the Mandalorians?'

What are some campaign hooks that can tie into canon that answer other similar interesting questions in the Star Wars universe? In particular, ones that would work well for the Rebellion era (circa 4 ABY) in the Minos Cluster from Galaxy Guide 6?

I'm planning a campaign that will be based mostly on the Minos Cluster Campaign, but will also include a lot of adventures based on the Elrood Sector adventure hooks in Planets of the Galaxy 3, some of the other adventure modules, and some original adventures.

In the first adventure that takes place before ANH, the Force PC will meet Ben Kenobi on Tatooine (but not know who he really is), and Kenobi will help the PC take his his first steps into a larger world of Force-sensitivity. The Force PC will later find Kenobi's lightsaber in Vader's quarters on the first Death Star's wreckage in the Scavenger Hunt adventure. The Force PC will have the power of postcognition so can receive some pointers here and there in the form of seeing the past exploits and hearing snippets of conversations Kenobi had with his ligthsaber present. The PCs will also play the Graveyard of Alderaan adventure.

The Force PC will have a handful of Force trainers here and there over the years. The Crisis on Cloud City adventure will take place during TESB and at the end when Lando and his men come in, they arrest the PCs and put them in the security tower (right as Vader's ship enters the system). Then they will be let out of jail to make room for the stormtroopers that Lobot locks up, and the PCs will have to escape Cloudy City when everyone else tried to during the film. One PC and an astromech droid will escape in Luke X-Wing that he left behind. Princess Leia will later use that X-Wing to escape the Minos Cluster after her part in the campaign (and Luke will get his original X-Wing back).

Towards the end of the campaign, the Force PC will get trained by an old former Jedi Knight Kane Starkiller who will eventually hide out on Eliad. Kane Starkiller looks like Sabastian Shaw (and he was the first padawan of Qui-Gon Jinn). Kane Starkiller is the son of a Knight noble in the Tapani House Pelagia (known for Jedi bloodlines) who had officially left the Jedi Order and reclaimed his birthright (before AotC), to fight in a Tapani Sector civil war that the Republic and the Jedi Order could not officially get involved in - This conflict is a precursor to the Separatist War. Kane Starkiller will also train Luke Skywalker some after TESB to help explain Luke's increased abilities in RotJ. Kane Starkiller learns that Vader set a trap for Luke and will enlist the aid of the PCs to take him to Luke. Kane Starkiller will give his life in confronting Vader in place of Luke (without the PCs coming into direct contact with Luke or Vader).

The PC's final trainer will be Yoda who he finds on Dagobah not long before RotJ. Yoda is not doing well so can't train him much. Perhaps the PC will have his own vision in the Dark Cave.

The final adventure of the campaign will take place during the Battle of Endor at the actual shield generator itself (the ground battle shown in the movie was at the shield bunker a ways away from the generator). Some of the main villains of the campaign will be the generator and it turns out that the generator has some redundancy built in that the Rebels didn't know about, so something special has to be done or Solo's destruction of the shield bunker will not lead to the chain reaction that destroys the generator. After the battle is won, the PCs will journey to Bright Tree Village to meet up with the celebrating heroes and Ewoks, where the Force PC will see four Force Ghosts looking at Luke: Yoda, Kenobi, Kane Starkiller, and Kenobi's padawan which he recognizes from the postcognition visions he got from Kenobi's lightsaber. The campaign will end with the PCs meeting the film heroes.

Is that what you mean? Tying the campaign into stuff like the Empire coming to Cloud City and leaving in his X-Wing he left there? Getting trained by a Jedi Knight that later appears as the original "Grandpa Skywalker" ghost in RotJ? Going to Dagobah and getting minimal training from Yoda before he dies? Being instrumental in the Battle of Endor without taking anything away from the film heroes? Stuff like that?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Stan Shinn
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is exactly what I had in mind and these notes are perfect -- thanks so much!

Other suggestions and ideas I've gotten elsewhere include:

"What happened to Luke's hand?" (I'm wondering if someone could graft it onto their newly amputated arm in a perhaps vain attempt to gain force sensitivity)

"Searches for items in either Death Star wreckages. If a Sith Wayfinder could be found, no telling what else Palpatine or Vader had on the station." I'm thinking maybe clues to Palpatine's plan to clone or otherwise keep himself alive.

Smile
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Campaign Hooks That Tie Into Canon Questions Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Stan Shinn wrote:

I'm planning a campaign that will be based mostly on the Minos Cluster Campaign, but will also include a lot of adventures based on the Elrood Sector adventure hooks in Planets of the Galaxy 3, some of the other adventure modules, and some original adventures.

In the first adventure that takes place before ANH, the Force PC will meet Ben Kenobi on Tatooine (but not know who he really is), and Kenobi will help the PC take his his first steps into a larger world of Force-sensitivity. The Force PC will later find Kenobi's lightsaber in Vader's quarters on the first Death Star's wreckage in the Scavenger Hunt adventure. The Force PC will have the power of postcognition so can receive some pointers here and there in the form of seeing the past exploits and hearing snippets of conversations Kenobi had with his ligthsaber present. The PCs will also play the Graveyard of Alderaan adventure.

The Force PC will have a handful of Force trainers here and there over the years. The Crisis on Cloud City adventure will take place during TESB and at the end when Lando and his men come in, they arrest the PCs and put them in the security tower (right as Vader's ship enters the system). Then they will be let out of jail to make room for the stormtroopers that Lobot locks up, and the PCs will have to escape Cloudy City when everyone else tried to during the film. One PC and an astromech droid will escape in Luke X-Wing that he left behind. Princess Leia will later use that X-Wing to escape the Minos Cluster after her part in the campaign (and Luke will get his original X-Wing back).

Towards the end of the campaign, the Force PC will get trained by an old former Jedi Knight Kane Starkiller who will eventually hide out on Eliad. Kane Starkiller looks like Sabastian Shaw (and he was the first padawan of Qui-Gon Jinn). Kane Starkiller is the son of a Knight noble in the Tapani House Pelagia (known for Jedi bloodlines) who had officially left the Jedi Order and reclaimed his birthright (before AotC), to fight in a Tapani Sector civil war that the Republic and the Jedi Order could not officially get involved in - This conflict is a precursor to the Separatist War. Kane Starkiller will also train Luke Skywalker some after TESB to help explain Luke's increased abilities in RotJ. Kane Starkiller learns that Vader set a trap for Luke and will enlist the aid of the PCs to take him to Luke. Kane Starkiller will give his life in confronting Vader in place of Luke (without the PCs coming into direct contact with Luke or Vader).

The PC's final trainer will be Yoda who he finds on Dagobah not long before RotJ. Yoda is not doing well so can't train him much. Perhaps the PC will have his own vision in the Dark Cave.

The final adventure of the campaign will take place during the Battle of Endor at the actual shield generator itself (the ground battle shown in the movie was at the shield bunker a ways away from the generator). Some of the main villains of the campaign will be the generator and it turns out that the generator has some redundancy built in that the Rebels didn't know about, so something special has to be done or Solo's destruction of the shield bunker will not lead to the chain reaction that destroys the generator. After the battle is won, the PCs will journey to Bright Tree Village to meet up with the celebrating heroes and Ewoks, where the Force PC will see four Force Ghosts looking at Luke: Yoda, Kenobi, Kane Starkiller, and Kenobi's padawan which he recognizes from the postcognition visions he got from Kenobi's lightsaber. The campaign will end with the PCs meeting the film heroes.

Is that what you mean? Tying the campaign into stuff like the Empire coming to Cloud City and leaving in his X-Wing he left there? Getting trained by a Jedi Knight that later appears as the original "Grandpa Skywalker" ghost in RotJ? Going to Dagobah and getting minimal training from Yoda before he dies? Being instrumental in the Battle of Endor without taking anything away from the film heroes? Stuff like that?

Wow Whill!

That sounds like a fantastic ride!
But...knowing players, it'll have to be on durasteel rails to actually turn out like that. lol.
Voltron64
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I'm a firm adherent in the belief that there were loads of important heroes beside the main trio out there in the galaxy hitting the Imperials left and right.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Campaign Hooks That Tie Into Canon Questions Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
Whill wrote:

Wow Whill!

That sounds like a fantastic ride!
But...knowing players, it'll have to be on durasteel rails to actually turn out like that. lol.

Some adventures have more rails than others.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltron64 wrote:
Honestly, I'm a firm adherent in the belief that there were loads of important heroes beside the main trio out there in the galaxy hitting the Imperials left and right.

Oh, absolutely. The Heroes of Yavin were "only" attached to the HQ unit of the Rebellion, but there must have been thousands of Rebel cells all across the galaxy for the Rebellion to have been effective enough to finally overthrow the Empire (or at the very least, put up a serious fight). That's alot of story potential.
Voltron64
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Voltron64 wrote:

Oh, absolutely. The Heroes of Yavin were "only" attached to the HQ unit of the Rebellion, but there must have been thousands of Rebel cells all across the galaxy for the Rebellion to have been effective enough to finally overthrow the Empire (or at the very least, put up a serious fight). That's a lot of story potential.

Yep, like your force-sensitive PCs probably may not be the First of the New Jedi, but nothing says they can't be the Second or Third.

Wink

(After all, I seem to recall 1e implying that any Force-sensitive player characters might potentially end up becoming Luke's very first students.)
Straxus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be a bit on the side, but I've been using fluff in the description of ships and equipment as a starting point for adventures. For instance, the hyperdrive booster (Galladiniums Fantastic Tech p 93). In my universe it isn't available, but the PC's met the guy who developed the prototype, an eccentric Bith engineer. At the end of the adventure the PCs got to keep it but it's a temperamental device to say the least.

Another time the PCs were hired to steal the plans for the Lancer Frigate, which was developed ABY, as a collaboration between KDY and Sienar. So I sent them to Lianna to spy on a meeting between the two manufacturers and the Empire.

They managed to get the plans out, which means that the Rebellion will sooner have a countermeasure ready (it says in the fluff that the lancer isn't very effective).

Now they are trying to get some info on the whereabouts of a Dreadnought Cruiser, that the Rebels sometimes gets hold of and rebuilds into the Assault Frigate.

So I try to find things that will have an effect on the war, but don't mess with the movie timeline/plot too much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: