The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Does hyperspace have any rules anymore?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Does hyperspace have any rules anymore?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maximum7
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:37 pm    Post subject: Does hyperspace have any rules anymore? Reply with quote

Disney seems to have made hyperspace a free for all.

So is it possible to just sit in hyperspace like stationary to hide or habitat?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Does hyperspace have any rules anymore? Reply with quote

Maximum7 wrote:

Yes. Yes it has.

Maximum7 wrote:

In my concept of hyperspace, no. I feel there has to be a downside to being able to travel thousands of times the speed of light. That downside is that it is impossible to go slow (or stop). In my concept, hyperspace is high pressure. Jumping to lightspeed is opening a portal to hyperspace, and then the very nature of hyperspace pulls you into it, accelerating you up to FTL speed. Dropping out of lightspeed is like dropping an anchor from hyperspace into real space that drags open a portal, and when the ship falls out, the hyperspace behind you as the portal closes pulls on you and decelerates you to normal space speeds.

Others here feel differently and think you can sink into hyperspace like a submarine. I feel that is more appropriate for a different dimension, like subspace maybe. There have been long discussions in threads about hyperspace. Search them out.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why i totally ignore what disney's done to bork over hyperspace..
ThrorII
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
That's why i totally ignore what disney's done

You can end your statement right there...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: Does hyperspace have any rules anymore? Reply with quote

Maximum7 wrote:

Depends. There is precedent in the EU for objects to be stationary in hyperspace (see stasis probes in Black Fleet Crisis #3), and my personal theory about the Holonet is that the satellites making up the network are actually in hyperspace (only dropping into real space for maintenance and repairs and such).

Hyperspace is sufficiently mysterious that this aspect can certainly be left up to individual interpretation. While I don’t ascribe to Whill’s view, I do think that stationary objects in hyperspace should be a niche application for unmanned platforms only, perhaps something to do with time dilation / compression issues for objects “at rest” in hyperspace.

As to the larger question, I consider Disney canon to be optional; if I can’t find a plausible way to fit it in with the EU, I ignore it. There’s very little I haven’t been able to fit in; I’ve even explained the Holdo Ram to my own satisfaction.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it does. You can find them in your West End roleplaying game books. All else is "Legends".

But there are some people who would accept a Wookie who speaks Basic or Force Wielding Rancor Witches. So for a very large segment of the population nothing has ever had any rules.

The three film trilogies are so different they may as well be different genres, I see no need to reconcile them to one another. It feels like people trying to explain "in universe" why James Bond looks different in the assorted movies.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
The three film trilogies are so different they may as well be different genres, I see no need to reconcile them to one another. It feels like people trying to explain "in universe" why James Bond looks different in the assorted movies.

Right. I see it as a James Bond multiverse where each Bond actor defines a different universe. When the same actors for other characters appear in multiple Bond incarnations, they are biologically identical to their counterparts in other universes. Each new Bond may have had some past adventures that were similar to the prior incarnation's films, but not exactly the same and taking place closer to the present.

The PT has much fewer discrepancies with the CT than the ST does. Sure, there is no need to reconcile the trilogies, but the PT wasn't too hard to reconcile and I quite enjoyed the process and outcome of having a unified two-film-trilogy-based personal Star Wars Universe.

The ST purposefully resets the ST universe to have a new Republic civil war and new rebellion against a new empire with a new Jedi order destroyed by a new Skywalker who turned to the Dark Side, with a new Jedi protagonist who is also descended from a Sith Lord. And the ST big baddie is supposedly the same big baddie who died in the OT. The ST feels like a reboot more than a sequel, and it works slightly better as a separate universe (with a separate hyperspace).
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Does hyperspace have any rules anymore? Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Maximum7 wrote:

Yes. Yes it has.

Maximum7 wrote:

In my concept of hyperspace, no. I feel there has to be a downside to being able to travel thousands of times the speed of light. That downside is that it is impossible to go slow (or stop). In my concept, hyperspace is high pressure. Jumping to lightspeed is opening a portal to hyperspace, and then the very nature of hyperspace pulls you into it, accelerating you up to FTL speed. Dropping out of lightspeed is like dropping an anchor from hyperspace into real space that drags open a portal, and when the ship falls out, the hyperspace behind you as the portal closes pulls on you and decelerates you to normal space speeds.

Reminds me of FTL-planets in the Lensman series... but they used those as projectiles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: