The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Need help running roll20
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Need help running roll20
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:44 pm    Post subject: Need help running roll20 Reply with quote

Hey friends. I've been asked to run a roll20 game. I finished the tutorial, and it looks like a great set of tools. Though there are a few things that aren't apparent to me.

First, I've set up the game selecting the Star Wars D6 Character sheet. Thank you OuttaWindu, you're amazing.

I have the Wild Die box selected, but when I run the editor, I run the line to roll 2D6+2, and none of the times I rolled six for either of the dice did the 6 explode. What is the command line to roll using a Wild Die, showing the result if a 1, and explode if a 6?

Thanks for the help.
OuttaWindu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help running roll20 Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
I have the Wild Die box selected, but when I run the editor, I run the line to roll 2D6+2, and none of the times I rolled six for either of the dice did the 6 explode. What is the command line to roll using a Wild Die, showing the result if a 1, and explode if a 6?

Glad you like the sheet!
I haven't have time to touch the sheet in a while, so it still have parts, such as the vehicle sheet that isn't too great.

I'm unsure what you mean with "the editor", but in roll20, the wild die is a specific case of an "exploding dice", and to roll a wild die is: "/roll 1d6!".
If you have "3D+2" in a skill, you'd do "/roll 2d6 + 2 +1d6!".

There is a Roll20 wiki page that details some basics around playing SWD6 on Roll20, and the page has links to other useful resources.

See also:
* SWD6 Character Sheet guide(Roll20)
* 30th Anniversary Edition Character Sheet guide(Roll20)
udat
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I am trying to set up Roll20 for the first time because my RPG group are all "social distancing" for the forseeable future.

I found you character sheet, and it looks great. I had a question about armour though - some Bounty Hunter armour adds to Str, but does not compromise Dex (e.g. Jodo Kast's armour in Tatooine Manhunt). Is there a way to handle this with the Character sheet?

cheers,
udat
OuttaWindu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

udat wrote:
some Bounty Hunter armour adds to Str, but does not compromise Dex (e.g. Jodo Kast's armour in Tatooine Manhunt). Is there a way to handle this with the Character sheet?

Are you using the white and simple character sheet, or the sheet with the black background? On the black sheet, armor shouldn't automatically impact dex nor str, and can't really be mad to do so. If you use it, you'd manually need to remember to change the rolls.

If you use the white sheet, the functions are hard-coded and I hightly doubt you can make changes how it works, it's much more simple in customizability than the black sheet. The black sheet can be set to play 1E games without the Wild Die from the settings.
udat
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OuttaWindu wrote:

Are you using the white and simple character sheet, or the sheet with the black background? On the black sheet, armor shouldn't automatically impact dex nor str, and can't really be mad to do so. If you use it, you'd manually need to remember to change the rolls.

If you use the white sheet, the functions are hard-coded and I hightly doubt you can make changes how it works, it's much more simple in customizability than the black sheet. The black sheet can be set to play 1E games without the Wild Die from the settings.

Thanks for your help, and thanks for making the sheets! Smile

I selected the Star Wars 30th Anniversary Edition sheet, which is black text on a white background. I might go back and redo everyone's characters with the other sheet, but it's not a big deal - I can manually make up for it.

Do you know if there's a way to make "generic mook" character sheets, e.g. Stormtroopers, and then when you drag one onto the play area, it creates a new "instance" from that template? Right now when I do it, they all seem linked, so if I wound one, it wounds every copy.
Urban Spaceman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also looking to use roll20 to keep my campaign going.
Never used anything like it before, so it's all new to me.

One thing I wondered is if there's any way to apply a multiple action penalty to dice rolls?

udat, I haven't even worked out how to create stormtroopers yet, so you are really ahead of me on all this!
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're making a roll off of your character sheet, what would happen if you plugged that in as a -1D modifier? Would that work?
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone has apparently dropped a mound of tokens and maps in the FFG forums. They look really helpful:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xLLPlDGTqviGnHATIitBZO1GXJWmOA1n/view

And here are a few links with a TON of tokens.

http://kndr.io/ts/swt1/

https://www.patreon.com/posts/29088308

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B4jGVbP4GkcbdlZMdW1YUUJOc0U
OuttaWindu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
If you're making a roll off of your character sheet, what would happen if you plugged that in as a -1D modifier? Would that work?

To clarify, this is possible with the "Star Wars D6 WEG" sheet, not with the 30th Anniversary sheet.

More info on the sheet with more options can be found here: https://wiki.roll20.net/Star_Wars_WEG_D6_character_sheet
Urban Spaceman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That link is really helpful, OuttaWindu. Thank you.

I'm going to put some time in to trying to make online play work for my group, and this could be the way to make that happen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: