The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

[film] The last star-fighter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea -> [film] The last star-fighter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject: [film] The last star-fighter Reply with quote

Did a recent re-watch of this good 1980s sci-fi film, and was wondering. As per several sites back last year, they ARE looking at either remaking it, or doing a follow up sequel like film. IF they do...
Would you be ok with them bringing the same actors back to reprise their role?
If not and they went with newer folk, who would you like to see in the key roles?
Would you prefer it be as CGI'ed as the original was, or go with more stop motion/miniature like effects for the ships?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now i know the actor who portrayed Grig, and a few others, have passed, so THOSE can't come back. But the kid who played the lead, the girl friend, and his younger brother, iirc, are still alive.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, that's one of those films that has really stood the test of time. You could very easily just do a digital re-touching of the space combat scenes to make the ships look less computer-animated, and leave the rest of it.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Honestly, that's one of those films that has really stood the test of time. You could very easily just do a digital re-touching of the space combat scenes to make the ships look less computer-animated, and leave the rest of it.

I agree. Great film, and remains great, if dated of graphics.

To the original question? I could see it going either way. A reboot, I think, would be a bit less "cool" for old farts than a sequel, but I think it would be easier... why do we need THIS person? Why do we need a random human on a backwater world, when we have had a generation to rebuild the Star League? With the reboot, you have the same premise, you update a couple parts, and you move on.

In either case, I think they should have the original actors come back for cameos, where possible. Because that's what you do in both sequels and reboots.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone mentioned elsewhere, Perhaps for a sequel, they could hav alex as being the new head marshal, training a group to go OUT beyond the 'protective dome' INTO the ko-dan armada's area.. bring the war to them, so to speak.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
As someone mentioned elsewhere, Perhaps for a sequel, they could have alex as being the new head marshal, training a group to go OUT beyond the 'protective dome' INTO the ko-dan armada's area.. bring the war to them, so to speak.

Sounds great in theory, but based on the quality level of modern script-writing, I don't want to get my hopes up.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe, but i'd LOVE to see how new graphics would handle the Gun-stars!
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure they can pull off the same 80's boy-from-the-trailer-park-saves-the-galaxy shtick. The sequel/reboot would definitely need a solid director -- possibly someone outside the genre. Too many fanboy hack directors running around these days (I'm looking at you, JJ).

The gunstar was one of the best, dare I say it, quasi-realistic on-screen starfighters.

If they wanted to use the modern era, the new Centauri has tons of gamers to choose from. Heck, the gunstars could be drones flown by gamers around the world, which, now that I think of it, sounds rather lame.

Better to let this one alone.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would they need to go that route?? Why not just start out on that planet he went to with Maggie, have it be 20 years in the future, where he's the new sky marshal, and his kid is a pilot...
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Why would they need to go that route?? Why not just start out on that planet he went to with Maggie, have it be 20 years in the future, where he's the new sky marshal, and his kid is a pilot...

I'm just looking at it from the negative perspective of a lot of disappointing franchises' "re-imagining," reboots and sequels. I've been burned a lot.

While Alex as Sky Marshal would be cool to us fans of the original, would it have the draw for audiences of today? I worry that it would be too close to Independence Day: Resurgence, though I'd love to see Lance Guest and Catherine Mary Stewart together again. Sadly Robert Preston and Dan O'Herlihy passed some time ago, so Centauri and Grig would need recast, old footage re-purposed, or they would have passed on off-screen between movies.

Also, if the entire movie took place in space (which I think would be really cool thematically), would it lack grounding from not having some moment on Earth? I know one of my peeves with the Masters of the Universe film -- aside from the acting, characters, plot and whatnot -- was the fact that a good chunk of the movie was on Earth rather than Eternia. Would Earth have been drawn into the Star League between movies, or would it still be a backwater world? Perhaps the Ko-Dans and/or Xur could have conquered Earth or at least abducted some humans to fight for them. This could create some drama for our heroes.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, here's where I go with this.

Alex is Sky Marshall. He and Maggie live in space; their children have gone back to Earth, for the most part, and have their grandchildren. We're not talking 20 years at this point, people, we're looking at 36 years.

The Kodan are resurgent, but instead of attacking the Star League, they've started going over "resource" planets... place with sub-Star League technology that they can invade and exploit.

Enter Earth.

Alex and Maggie have visited from time to time. Their kids live on Earth, but have ways to communicate. When the Kodan show up, the kids call Mom and Dad. One of the grandchildren is an 18-year-old wunderkind pilot who becomes the titular Last Starfighter, defending Earth from the Kodan Armada, with the help of his wacky alien friends and his grandfather, the Sky marshall
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

For my part, I wouldn't mind seeing Alex, Maggie and Louis as characters in the new Starfighter movie (having the same actors is optional). My main thing is to see how Alex reacts when he finds out that Louis also has "the gift" enabling him to become a Starfighter and realizing that he has to send his little brother into harm's way because...there are so few Starfighters in the Star League that Louis is desperately needed in a cockpit. Seeing Mrs. Rogan's reaction to both her sons fighting in an intergalactic war would also serve some decent drama.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe in the interceeding years, Alex could have brought a transport back to earth and grabbed his mother and brother?
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Maybe in the interceeding years, Alex could have brought a transport back to earth and grabbed his mother and brother?

For that matter, Alex could have brought Granny as well to Rylos so she wouldn't miss Maggie. Hell, how many of the people at Starlite/Starbrite would be willing to leave their trailer park and see what life is like in the rest of the Star League? There's something to be said for the call of adventure, even in the golden years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: