The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

1E Character Advancement
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG -> 1E Character Advancement
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThrorII
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:10 pm    Post subject: 1E Character Advancement Reply with quote

Hey all, I'm looking for some experienced feedback on character advancement in the 1E rules set.

Specifically, the Core Book suggests characters get 3-10 skill points per adventure, and up to 15 bonus skill points at the end of an adventure. That seems slow.

I was considering running the following: 10 skill points per session, with 15 points for completion of the adventure (normally 3 sessions). So each character would get 45 skill points every 3 sessions. We play every 2 weeks for 4-5 hours at a time.

Now, looking at the 1E Galaxy Guides as an imperfect guideline, I see that of following:

For NPCs built on 18D worth of abilities:

Minor named NPCs (such as Rebel pilots Dak and Janson) average 17D or 100 points worth of skills (not counting the 7D worth of starting skills).

Experienced NPCs (such as Biggs and Wedge, Admiral Motti, General Tagge, and General Rieekan) average 20D or 115 points worth of skills;

Major named NPCs (such as General Dodonna, General Veers, named Bounty Hunters) average 30D or 280 points worth of skills;

Only the 'Big Bads' and 'Big Damn Heroes' are way over that (from a low of 60D for Ep. IV Luke, Leia, and GM Tarkin; to a high of 120D-150D for Han, Chewie, Ben, Boba Fett, and Vader).

Anyway, using the 45 skill points per adventure/per 3 sessions idea, an entry level 1E character will be equal to:

Dak or Janson in 7 sessions
Biggs or Wedge in 9 sessions
General Dodonna, General Veers, or Bounty Hunter Dengar in 19 sessions.

It would probably take 40-50 sessions to reach 65D worth of skills, putting them in the bottom of the 'Big Damn Hero' catagory, which really isn't my goal or even necessary.

I THINK 19 sessions (9-10 months as we play every 2 weeks) to reach a point when you can have your core skill at 8D-9D, and a couple secondary skills at 6D, and a few tertiary at 5D, puts most PCs in the near-legendary category, where you can go toe to toe with named bounty hunters, major villains, and even hold your own against the BIG BADS long enough to run away is a good goal for a campaign.

Any thoughts on my math, advancement rate, or skill rating goals?
ThrorII
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eh, never mind. I just realized (after all this time) that SWRPG 1E assumes most adventures are 2 sessions, meaning that characters can get up to 25 skill points per every 2 sessions. This is not too far off from what I was looking into (45 skill points every 3 sessions).

I guess RAW was ok all along....

As the Desert Trooper said to Luke and Ben, "Move along."
Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: