The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Anti-Security Blades
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Anti-Security Blades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:43 pm    Post subject: Anti-Security Blades Reply with quote

Not that happy with this, but posting it anyway in hopes of getting some suggestions from others.

Quote:
ANTI-SECURITY BLADES
Anti-security blades are sophisticated devices that can defeat fence fields and tune out security cameras and other security systems. It functions by emitting intense harmonic interference waves that cause devices and systems to malfunction. When they are set on a higher level, anti-security blades can erase magnetic locks and allow the operator to gain access to nearly any door. When set to the proper frequency they could also be used to jam comlinks.

Anti-security Blades
Type: Anti-security device
Scale: Character
Skill: Security
Cost: 5,000
Availability: 4, X
Game Notes: This device has 10 charges and when used gives a +1D modifier to security skill checks to disable devices (i.e. magnetic locks, electronic doors, harmonic fences). The device can also be used to scramble security camera and associated systems, as well as com frequencies. This uses one charge per round.
Source: Threats to the Galaxy (p.19), wookieepedia, d6 mechanics by +Oliver Queen

Revised 2020-Feb-11

http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter

Last edited by shootingwomprats on Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:01 pm; edited 5 times in total
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems highly overpowered for just 5,000 credits.

Something that can defeat force fields, security cameras, magnetic locks and open any door as well as jam comlinks on everything out to 25 meters should probably be in the 50,000 credit range, along with the X availability.

If you want to keep it at the 5,000 credit range, choose ONE of the things it could do. Maybe one blade at 5,000 could grant the bonus vs. force fields. A different blade could disrupt security cameras. A third blade could mess with magnetic locks. A fourth could be use on non-magnetic locks. A fifth blade could be for comlink jamming. A sixth blade could disrupt security lasers, etc.

That way you don't have one blade to rule them all, and it makes is more beneficial to have the full set, but also a lot harder to acquire the full set.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, what's the size of the thing?
What happens if someone trying to use it, is near FOLKS supceptable to high frequencies??
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of sugestions:

These could require some kind of exotic power source, thus driving up the cost of use.

Higher security devices might require a greater power consumption (using up, say 10 out of 10 "charges" to defeat military grade security and 1 out of 10 charges to defeat a bike lock).

The set could also have "accessories" (sold separately, of course) which shield the user's own devices from the effects of the security blade, when they are in proximity.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here all the information sources and quotes for this item.

Star Wars Complete Visual Dictionary p.251 wrote:
Kept in Fett's shin pockets, these sophisticated electronic instruments can defeat fence fields nd tune out security cameras and other alarm systems by the use of intense harmonic interference waves. Set higher, they can erase magnetic locks and give entry to nearly any door. Boba Fett uses them individually for most purposes, using several together to create a safe anti-security field for forced entries.

Threats to the Galaxy p.19 wrote:
Antisecurity Blades: These electronic devices allow Jango Fett to bypass force fields and jam security devices with bursts of highfrequency harmonic interference waves. They function as a security kit and grant a +2 equipment bonus to Mechanics checks made to disable devices.

wookieepedia wrote:
Anti-security blades were sophisticated devices that could defeat fence fields and tune out security cameras and other security systems. They functioned by emitting intense harmonic interference waves that caused devices and systems to malfunction. When they were set on a higher level, anti-security blades could erase magnetic locks and allow the operator to gain access to nearly any door.[1] When set to the proper frequency they could also be used to jam comlinks.

The bounty hunter Boba Fett kept anti-security blades in his shin pockets.[1] Jango Fett was also known to have carried them.

Grimace wrote:

Just a number I picked out.

Grimace wrote:
Something that can defeat force fields, security cameras, magnetic locks and open any door as well as jam comlinks on everything out to 25 meters should probably be in the 50,000 credit range,...

Perhaps a better description? Also, there is a mistake. It should not be force fields but fence fields. From what I read and infer as to the function of anti-security blades:

1. A quasi-skeleton key for electronic locks
2. Move around without being recorded by electronic surveiliance
3. Block com signals over a very small area.

As I am unsure what a force fence is I cannot make a specific mechanic for it, but I think its probably not an energy barrier but is a harmonic barrier to keep animals penned in and protected from other animals. If so, then it makes sense that the device would work on it as well.

Grimace wrote:
...along with the X availability.

It is already 4, X =).

Grimace wrote:
If you want to keep it at the 5,000 credit range, choose ONE of the things it could do. Maybe one blade at 5,000 could grant the bonus vs. force fields. A different blade could disrupt security cameras. A third blade could mess with magnetic locks. A fourth could be use on non-magnetic locks. A fifth blade could be for comlink jamming. A sixth blade could disrupt security lasers, etc.

That way you don't have one blade to rule them all, and it makes is more beneficial to have the full set, but also a lot harder to acquire the full set.

I understand the progression you are suggesting, but this is not a lockpick. In fact its quite large in comparison, probably 10"x4".

Perhaps, 2,500 per pip of security bonus, up to +3D bonus (22,500)?

garhkal wrote:
Also, what's the size of the thing?

From the picture I would say from fingertip to mid-forearm.

garhkal wrote:
What happens if someone trying to use it, is near FOLKS supceptable to high frequencies??

I am not sure. In that unlikely event I would say GM discretion.

Naaman wrote:
These could require some kind of exotic power source, thus driving up the cost of use.

I like the idea, but couldn't that be inferred by its availability?

Naaman wrote:
Higher security devices might require a greater power consumption (using up, say 10 out of 10 "charges" to defeat military grade security and 1 out of 10 charges to defeat a bike lock).

I like the idea of a set number of uses, say 10. Additional charges for higher security devices seems like a clunky mechanic when its already handled mechanically by a higher difficulty to perform the action. Thoughts?

Naaman wrote:
The set could also have "accessories" (sold separately, of course) which shield the user's own devices from the effects of the security blade, when they are in proximity.

Refer to the response to Grimace above.

Made a change:

Game Notes: This device has 10 charges and when used gives a +1D modifier to security skill checks to disable devices (i.e. magnetic locks, electronic doors, harmonic fences). The device can also be used to scramble security camera and associated systems, as well as com frequencies. This uses one charge per round.
@swd6podcast, Twitter

Last edited by shootingwomprats on Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:05 pm; edited 3 times in total
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brings to mind KOTOR's Security Spikes, which could be used to do similar things... they didn't work automatically, and, in true cRPG fashion, they were consumable, but "security blades" being a permanent form of those might work.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see something that vibrates, being able to disable mag locks, fences and the like, but NOT then also kill off security cameras.. IMO they'd be an either or thing.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I can see something that vibrates, being able to disable mag locks, fences and the like, but NOT then also kill off security cameras.. IMO they'd be an either or thing.

I agree. This is not my creation and I am trying to create game mechanics to emulate how it was used in EU materials.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimace wrote:

Something that can defeat force fields, security cameras, magnetic locks and open any door as well as jam comlinks on everything out to 25 meters should probably be in the 50,000 credit range, along with the X availability.

Isn't there some kind of black market multiplier in the game? Given the X it's black market only.
One could also rule that the Empire will automatically assume you are a terrorist or rebel for wearing it.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Isn't there some kind of black market multiplier in the game? Given the X it's black market only.

Not that you mention it, seems like there is one, or at the very least, should be. Excellent point btw. I get frustrated with players (seems to happen no matter the system or genre) that thinks because its in a book they automatically have access to it.

NOTE: Found it!

CHART IMAGE https://i.imgur.com/pNZFfBu.jpg

x5 for an illegal item, taking the initial cost for this item from 5,000 to 25,000!

ZzaphodD wrote:
One could also rule that the Empire will automatically assume you are a terrorist or rebel for wearing it.

Heck yes they would! In fact so would the New Republic, Empire in Exile, Galactic Alliance, etc.

ADMIN EDIT: Replaced Image with URL tags - Please do not post images wider than 750 pixels.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
x5 for an illegal item, taking the initial cost for this item from 5,000 to 25,000!

If they were worth 25,000 credits each, would Boba Fett just put them in a loose shin pocket? It seems like they could very easily get lost in a scuffle. Especially with Boba Fett who performs slapstick comedy and got taken out by a blind guy with a boat paddle.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has actually come up before...

While I can certainly appreciate the effort you put into it, I can’t help but wonder if Anti-Security Blades should just be a tool in a Security Toolkit, which simply allows a character to make Security skill rolls unpenalized (for not having to resort to improvised tools).

Maybe there’s room for higher quality kits (Masterwork, to use the D&D term) that add bonuses to the Security roll...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:

Not that you mention it, seems like there is one, or at the very least, should be. Excellent point btw. I get frustrated with players (seems to happen no matter the system or genre) that thinks because its in a book they automatically have access to it.

NOTE: Found it!

CHART IMAGE https://i.imgur.com/pNZFfBu.jpg

I also take the standard # as an indicator of how HARD it will be to find so a 4x item looking on the blank market, would be at least a very difficult if not heroic streetwise, or business roll, to locate someone who has it to sell..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: