The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Mandalorian [Spoilers Allowed]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> The Mandalorian [Spoilers Allowed] Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off screen "removal" or "doing other things" is absolutely nothing new in movie franchises, so yeah, I am sure there is a very easy in universe reason, like the one you proposed here, she is way too busey with being a marshal, and may not be "needed" for the upcomming missions.

I did like her character though.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cara Dune was cool but not instrumental for where the show's plot is going.

We never found out what happened to Captain Panaka after the actor declined returning for AotC. What happened to Ric Olié? Sabé? Sebulba? Did General Rieekan escape Hoth? Did Lobot escape Cloud City? The story doesn't absolutely need answers to these questions.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She was pretty much my favorite character in the Mandalorian, and possibly my favorite female SW character. Too bad they couldn't give her one last episode to get killed saving some orphans or ride off into the sunset or something. Oh well.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Cara Dune was cool but not instrumental for where the show's plot is going.

We never found out what happened to Captain Panaka after the actor declined returning for AotC.

In the novel Leia, Princess of Alderaan, we do encounter Captain Panaka. He's the governor of Naboo, and finds the young princess very familiar... before he dies in a bomb attack.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Did Lobot escape Cloud City? The story doesn't absolutely need answers to these questions.

Though now that you put it in that light, I'd love a graphic novel of the Lobot Chronicals.
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While not vital to the metaplot of the films, that could be interesting. But it would be more interesting if Lobot appears in a Lando comic, maybe the story of his return to Cloud City to free it from the clutches of the Empire.

TauntaunScout wrote:
She was pretty much my favorite character in the Mandalorian, and possibly my favorite female SW character. Too bad they couldn't give her one last episode to get killed saving some orphans or ride off into the sunset or something. Oh well.
MrNexx wrote:
In the novel Leia, Princess of Alderaan, we do encounter Captain Panaka. He's the governor of Naboo, and finds the young princess very familiar... before he dies in a bomb attack.

Sure, supporting publications such as novels or comics could show us the final fate of Cara Dune. It might make an interesting side story, but it is not vital to the ongoing plot of The Mandalorian TV show to have it. I don't think Disney will recast or even refer to the character much for reasons, so why would it do what it doesn't have to. Novels and comics are niche products in the world of live action movies and shows.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the Mandalorian has kind of established a precedence of going back to helpful characters in time of need. So there really should be some sort of throw-away line to explain why she is no longer the Marshal of that place that the Mandalorian can easily get to.

A simple line from Greef Karga, like "The New Republic didn't like how she skirted the law with the escape of that Imperial sharpshooter, so she was reassigned somewhere a lot closer to the core so they can keep a tighter leash on her."

That would easily explain away why you no longer see the character.

And when you consider all of the other character's mentioned were characters in movies, not in an ongoing series, the sudden disappearance of a character might leave some people scratching their heads in dismay (if they don't keep abreast of all the social media hubbub).

I'll be interested to see who, if anyone, the Mandalorian will end up teaming up with in Season 3.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm weird, but I thought all of the plot threads of all the other characters got tied up in a nice tidy bow (with the exception of anyone tied up in the Darksaber), that I never expected to see them again after season two. I see no reason to revisit Mayfeld (whom I thought was fantastic), the woman in charge of the Tatooine docking facility, or any of those folks. I actually kind of hoped that we'd see a whole new plot line with new side characters. I don't really think they all need much of an explanation of what they're doing off screen.

But that's just me.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if rumors hold any bit of actual weight on reality, it sounds like the cast is generally supporting their fellow actor who got fired and are generally getting disgruntled and looking for other work. That include Pedro Pascal and Carl Weathers. So there's the possibility that what we saw to end Season 2 may be the last of what we see from The Mandalorian.

I guess time will tell if any of this comes to fruition or if it's just all general rumor-mill.

I've also heard that there is a notable exodus from Disney Plus by a lot of people. So I guess this is a generally fluid situation.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimace wrote:
I've also heard that there is a notable exodus from Disney Plus by a lot of people. So I guess this is a generally fluid situation.

I'm leaning that way. I stuck it out past the end of my free year from Verizon because I was interested to see how Season 2 went, but I just can't bring myself to stay interested in it.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread makes me think of my SW game, where I've made this meticulous list of NPCs my group of PCs has made contact with (a fence here, an information broker there), but I've rarely reused those characters (the friendly ones).

Much like it's fun to see recurring characters in a show (or to wonder what happened to Lobot, for instance), I think I'm going to try to revisit some of these NPCs in my campaign.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well there is no need for us to discuss the real-word Disney/actor-related reasons behind it here. But yes the character of Cara Dune will not appear in The Mandalorian or any of its spin-offs, and we can discuss that from a fictional in-universe perspective.

Grimace wrote:
Well, if rumors hold any bit of actual weight on reality, it sounds like the cast is generally supporting their fellow actor who got fired and are generally getting disgruntled and looking for other work. That include Pedro Pascal and Carl Weathers. So there's the possibility that what we saw to end Season 2 may be the last of what we see from The Mandalorian.

I guess time will tell if any of this comes to fruition or if it's just all general rumor-mill.

Since rumors were shared of this nature here, I've done a bit of research. On social media, Pedro Pascal and Carl Weathers have posted support and fellowship with fellow actor Gina Carano in the past, but never agreement with her expressed views and opinions. They both have shared their own views (without any reference to her), which, let's just say, are opposed to hers.

The "outlets" I have found that express anything remotely like the rumors referred to were only found on sites that have a lack of journalistic standards and skew heavily in certain directions, one of which I'll say here is anti-Disney. Some of them seem to be concerned about a social media post that Pascal had made which they are equating to what Carano did, but the two things are completely incomparable.

So for Weathers, everything I've been able to find indicates to me there is no reason to think any of the rumors are true. Jon Favreau is a big fan of Weathers, so although his character may not be instrumental to the plot of S3, I'm sure they will make a reason for Weathers to show up at some point in The Mandalorian S3.

Regarding Pascal, two days ago he made an official statement in response to the rumors that there was no truth to them, stating in definite terms that he will continue the show with Season 3. Some of the confusion might also come from the fact that The Mandalorian is not his primary gig. It is part of his contract with Lucasfilm that they have to work around at least one other commitment in his working schedule. Keep in mind that there are three actors that portray Mando physically on set. There were multiple entire episodes where it was never him under the helmet, and he only did the vocal performance in post production. He hadn't even met all the directors in person during principle photography. After the end of S2, maybe he will show his face more in S3, but when he has the hemet on, there is a good chance it won't be him playing Mando.

Also, Carano was not fired. She was not under contract for season 3 yet, and Disney announced that they will not be hiring her for anything in the future. She violated her Disney contract in the past and only received a warning, and it was the most recent occurrence that disqualified her from being rehired.

Last year there were rumors that Pascal had quit the show during the filming of S2, but those were all baseless. I ask that we all continue to tread carefully around rumors. Thanks.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, rumors be like whispers in a darkened theater. You never know where they really come from and a lot of them are just made up.

As I had said, they were just rumors.

However, I don't think the notable exodus from Disney + is a rumor.

Be that as it may, if they don't end up back-tracking like was done with James Gunn, I think a nice throw-away line about how her little "loss of a prisoner" got her reassigned back in the Core Region so the New Republic could keep a closer eye on her.

Heck, I could see Greef saying such a line, as he would likely know.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I stuck it out past the end of my free year from Verizon because I was interested to see how Season 2 went, but I just can't bring myself to stay interested in it.

I haven't been very interested in it from Day 1. S1 was admittedly better than I thought it would be, but S2 was disappointing in that they intersected the discontinuity of the rest of the franchise (jumping the carkoon at the end of S2 E1) and by it being one big backdoor pilot for three other live action D+ shows.

But I'm thinking that that with those other show set-ups and Grogu out of the way, S3 will actually be better. So I maintain minimal interest. My wife and son love the show, so I'l watch it with them and it will be family Star Wars time. And my family watches Disney more than Hulu so we have no reason to get rid of Disney.

DougRed4 wrote:
This thread makes me think of my SW game, where I've made this meticulous list of NPCs my group of PCs has made contact with (a fence here, an information broker there), but I've rarely reused those characters (the friendly ones).

Much like it's fun to see recurring characters in a show (or to wonder what happened to Lobot, for instance), I think I'm going to try to revisit some of these NPCs in my campaign.

Absolutely. And I even include film characters in adventures sometimes. I've had Lobot in adventures. In one campaign, Ponda Baba because a reoccurring antagonist for a PC. I even ran an adventure that had Dooku's pilot droid from AotC as an NPC.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I just canceled my Disney+ account. I think the only thing I've actually logged in to watch in recent months was the Luke Skywalker vs. Darktroopers scene. Not worth $6.99/mo.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 25 of 33

Jump to: