The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Mandalorian [Spoilers Allowed]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> The Mandalorian [Spoilers Allowed] Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject: The Mandalorian [Spoilers Allowed] Reply with quote

I have Disney plus and watched the 1st episode. I liked it.

This is the only thread where spoilers for The Mandalorian may be discussed and shared without restriction. Everywhere else on the forum, please follow the Rancor Pit Spoiler Policy. Thank you.

Jump ahead to the Season 2 discussion.

Jump ahead to the Season 3 discussion.

EDIT: Three announced spin-off shows:

The Book of Boba Fett
Ahsoka
Rangers of the New Republic
(this one has been shelved)

EDIT: The Old Rancor Pit Spoiler Policy
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my snag at the moment is that my TV and Blu-ray player are both old enough that I can't download new apps, so the only thing I can get Disney+ on is my Roku... which I allowed to get turned off because I never used it anyway...

Oh, well. I have some time off coming next week, so this will all probably have to be delayed until then.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched the first episode. Loved it. It joins Rogue One as proof that New Wars can be done well. Who knows how long it will stay this good.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can watch through a web browser McNeill, I'm finally watching Star Wars Resistance after seeing Chapter 1. I enjoyed the first episode, it wasn't mind blowing, but it felt like a good introduction.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
You can watch through a web browser McNeill, I'm finally watching Star Wars Resistance after seeing Chapter 1. I enjoyed the first episode, it wasn't mind blowing, but it felt like a good introduction.

Yeah I watched it on a browser too. Then I managed to get it figured out for the firestick.

The first 40 minutes of this television show was better than Episodes 1, 2, 3, 7, and 8 combined. Though it's tv, it can go horribly wrong, it's off to a strong start even to harsh critic like myself.
Potroclo
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
I don't have Disney+, so, those of you who like it, what do you like about it? I'm interested even if I can't watch.

If you're asking specifically about the Mandalorian, well IMO it's some of the best Star Wars made since RotJ. That pretty much sums it up Laughing

We'll see in the next chapters but the premiere has been very good. I wonder if Filoni and Favreau ever played the WEG rpg or any rpgs. The plot of this first one reverberates with the pacing of an rpg adventure. I've read others have mentioned videogames in pretty much the same feeling across different more mainstream forums. It definitely has a Rebels/Resistance/Clone Wars rythm to it; you can see Filoni's influence. It's a departure from the films but it actually works very well.
I can't say much more without entering into spoilers but the use of the universe is impecable. You can see the creators have deep enough knowledge, love and respect for the SW universe so as to reuse and expand on old elements and tropes without it feeling like fan service and introducing new really cool ones.
The music didn't do it for me (and many others). I like the idea of new musical genres, and during some parts it was well executed but I think this new guy Olafson or whatever his name is has yet to find a balance. But it's promising.

Just go watch it! Very Happy
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Potroclo wrote:
cheshire wrote:
I don't have Disney+, so, those of you who like it, what do you like about it? I'm interested even if I can't watch.

If you're asking specifically about the Mandalorian, well IMO it's some of the best Star Wars made since RotJ. That pretty much sums it up Laughing

We'll see in the next chapters but the premiere has been very good. I wonder if Filoni and Favreau ever played the WEG rpg or any rpgs. The plot of this first one reverberates with the pacing of an rpg adventure. I've read others have mentioned videogames in pretty much the same feeling across different more mainstream forums. It definitely has a Rebels/Resistance/Clone Wars rythm to it; you can see Filoni's influence. It's a departure from the films but it actually works very well.
I can't say much more without entering into spoilers but the use of the universe is impecable. You can see the creators have deep enough knowledge, love and respect for the SW universe so as to reuse and expand on old elements and tropes without it feeling like fan service and introducing new really cool ones.
The music didn't do it for me (and many others). I like the idea of new musical genres, and during some parts it was well executed but I think this new guy Olafson or whatever his name is has yet to find a balance. But it's promising.

Just go watch it! Very Happy

Yeah. In my opinion this, and R1, are the only good SW since ROTJ. Though I am a harsh critic with controversial opinions.

That's not counting low-stakes stuff like cartoons and comics, I don't really care how good or bad those are.

The interview with Werner Herzog is pure gold. That guy. He is all outta effs to give, if he ever even had any.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/werner-herzog-the-mandalorian-star-wars-jon-favreau-disney-plus-1203400810/
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My family watched both episodes tonight.

Raven Redstar wrote:
I enjoyed the first episode, it wasn't mind blowing, but it felt like a good introduction.

Yeah. The shows seems like it will be better than any animated Star Wars TV series.

I don't care for carbonite freezing being portrayed as the standard way hunters contain their quarries and the ship having a mini-carbonite freezing... nook? Vader was a master of technology and he said it had to be tested on Solo before he would freeze Luke. So a few years later everyone is freezing people left and right without a big carbonite freeze chamber?

The special effects were mostly great. I really like the Ugnaught character but a couple times the animatronic facial expressions were so obvious it seemed like I could almost hear the machinery moving. The Trandoshans were great. The Jawa sequence was cool. It is interesting that Jawas now inhabit another planet.

The ship is way cooler than Slave One. Mando is the Jango of this era (a Boba Fett the fans always wanted). But always wearing armor is an affront to my disbelief suspension.

From the first two episodes I can say that it is StarWarsy enough to be entertaining to Star Wars fans but certainly nothing spectacular. My son and wife liked it a bit more than I did. My son said maybe there will be a 'Han Solo' story arc of scoundrel-turned-hero. I hope so. I found the bounty hunter profession in Star Wars to be more interesting than I thought it would be. I'm intrigued enough to be interested in finding out what happens next.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like that the baby yoda is (apparently) automatically force-capable. I also don't much like him never removing his helmet, or understand the Jawas trading so much for an egg meant to eat. Maybe partaking of it had religious significance.

My opinions are controversial in the order I rank the things, basically.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't care for carbonite freezing being portrayed as the standard way hunters contain their quarries and the ship having a mini-carbonite freezing... nook? Vader was a master of technology and he said it had to be tested on Solo before he would freeze Luke. So a few years later everyone is freezing people left and right without a big carbonite freeze chamber?

The Carbonite chamber on Bespin was an industrial chamber, not meant for organic life. It's possible that's why it needed to be tested first. I've seen (in other Star Wars media) carbonite used for many prisoners prior to ESB. But, those should be taken with a grain of salt. I didn't find this to be a big issue for me.

Quote:
From the first two episodes I can say that it is StarWarsy enough to be entertaining to Star Wars fans but certainly nothing spectacular. My son and wife liked it a bit more than I did. My son said maybe there will be a 'Han Solo' story arc of scoundrel-turned-hero. I hope so. I found the bounty hunter profession in Star Wars to be more interesting than I thought it would be. I'm intrigued enough to be interested in finding out what happens next

My biggest issue with the way that these guys portray bounty hunters: with those "Sensor Tags", it makes it almost too easy, aside from the fact that you have to take out large numbers of enemies to claim someone.

Totally not how I ever portrayed bounty hunting in the RPG, nor will I ever. Easy mode is deactivated in my games!
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Quote:

The Carbonite chamber on Bespin was an industrial chamber, not meant for organic life. It's possible that's why it needed to be tested first. I've seen (in other Star Wars media) carbonite used for many prisoners prior to ESB. But, those should be taken with a grain of salt. I didn't find this to be a big issue for me.

Quote:
From the first two episodes I can say that it is StarWarsy enough to be entertaining to Star Wars fans but certainly nothing spectacular. My son and wife liked it a bit more than I did. My son said maybe there will be a 'Han Solo' story arc of scoundrel-turned-hero. I hope so. I found the bounty hunter profession in Star Wars to be more interesting than I thought it would be. I'm intrigued enough to be interested in finding out what happens next

My biggest issue with the way that these guys portray bounty hunters: with those "Sensor Tags", it makes it almost too easy, aside from the fact that you have to take out large numbers of enemies to claim someone.

Totally not how I ever portrayed bounty hunting in the RPG, nor will I ever. Easy mode is deactivated in my games!

I agree completely.
If we think this is 6 years after han was frozen on Bespin, it would not at all be a far stretch to put the "small " carbonite chamber as develpoed technology.

though it can be argued that as a master of technology Vader knew that Han would "survive" being frozen in an industrial chamber.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I was worried about the carbonite when I saw the trailer. Didn't find it annoying when I watched the show for some reason.

The tracking fobs make no sense. Do they track by magic? It took me a couple re-watches to be bothered by it so I guess it "worked" though.
Potroclo
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, tracking fobs was also annoying to me... I hope they give an explanation later on, like mandatory tracking ID chips under Empire rule that everybody has or whatever... But meh, if it suits the story, why not? I'm not integrating that technology in my games so it's ok.
Also it seems they need the fob and a "chain code" to make it work, which by the way, it wasn't explained how the mando got the other digits if Herzog only gave him the last 4... or is it that he just went to the "last known location" and he simply finds it thanks to Nick Nolte's ugnaught version?
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the chain code is like a long barcode that gives you a ton of info on the mark. If the last 4 digits are his age (50) the rest of it probably tells you height, weight, species, gender, name, known aliases, etc.

Only thing I can think is, the fobs scan based on a DNA sample? Or scan for a life form that matches the height, weight, etc.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
LANDO: Lord Vader, we only use this facility for carbon freezing. You put him in there, it might kill him!
VADER: I do not want the Emperor's prize damaged. We will test it... on Captain Solo.

Mamatried wrote:
it can be argued that as a master of technology Vader knew that Han would "survive" being frozen in an industrial chamber.

That doesn't check out with the film. Vader wanted to freeze Luke, not Han. Lando points out to Vader that it may kill Luke. The only reason for freezing Han is to test it, before using it on Luke.

Raven Redstar wrote:
I've seen (in other Star Wars media) carbonite used for many prisoners prior to ESB. But, those should be taken with a grain of salt.

Those media are equally suspect as The Mandalorian for the same reason. The media that portrays carbonite freezing living beings chronologically before TESB were all released after TESB. The mere fact that they take place before TESB don't really help it make any more sense with respect to the film.

Raven Redstar wrote:
Quote:

The Carbonite chamber on Bespin was an industrial chamber, not meant for organic life. It's possible that's why it needed to be tested first.

I guess. I didn't say it was impossible. I just personal don't care for it. While admittedly not explicit, it is strongly suggested by the film that freezing living beings is almost unheard of. If freezing living beings are so common but Cloud City just didn't have the right kind of facility for living beings, Lando probably would have said something along the lines of, "Lord Vader, this is an industrial freezing facility. We don't have a biological freezing facility here. This one could kill him."

After successfully suspending disbelief for carbonite freezing as portrayed in TESB since the 80s, I just don't care for this drastic difference in it (much smaller unit, living beings are now the norm). Galactic civilization in SW is thousands of years old, so for the most part, technology advances very slowly (except super weapons). Since it is a vital part of Cloud City business to freeze tibanna gas, I wouldn't think that their carbonite technology is that antiquated. The Mandalorian is set only a few years after TESB.

But it is just a minor point, not a deal breaker. I just don't like it. I'm not letting it ruin the show for me.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 1 of 33

Jump to: