The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Mandalorian [Spoilers Allowed]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> The Mandalorian [Spoilers Allowed] Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Officer Dude was a full-on "The Empire Are Nazis" character.

That's a redemption move on his part, even if it made things more difficult.

As for blowing up the whole facility, it prevented more mass bombings of civilians (and their own troops!), and might even be worth a Force Point.
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:

As for blowing up the whole facility, it prevented more mass bombings of civilians (and their own troops!), and might even be worth a Force Point.

Yes, this qualifies as "Destiny fulfilled" (d20 rule).
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:24 pm    Post subject: The Mandalorian spinoff Reply with quote

It was announced today that The Book of Boba Fett is set to start streaming on Disney+ on Dec. 29th.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
I would actually be ok with this show replacing The Mandalorian, in theory. That "Lone Wolf & Cub" story is all neatly wrapped up, no need to keep going. I don't see a sprawling 10+ season show working well for Star Wars but a bunch of one to three season stories could be great.

The Mandalorian season 2 very explicitly set-up the next season being about about the throne of Mandalore. Yes, the Grogu story was wrapped up, but the very title of the series is very apropos to the direction the story is going now. And right now, only one more season was announced so the series continuation is still far away from 10 season sprawl.

TauntaunScout wrote:
I foresee these shows as basically becoming the "real"l post-ROTJ history of the SWU with the ST being politely ignored.

Maybe. The whole reason Moff Gideon wanted Grogu was to use his blood to help bring Palpatine back to life, but the DT reference was not overt. Still not the same thing as it being completely ignored.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean, if they start at 9 ABY, and move forward a story-year every year or two, by the time they reach ST range, it will be the 100th anniversary of ANH.
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:
Just curious: Mayfeld's action in ep. 15 regarding the Imperial officer was a kind of redemption, setting the things right with his past? Or did he deserve a DSP?

Mayfield shooting the Officer? Fine. Him shooting the poor Trooper who only wanted coffee? DSP. Mayfield gave a speech on how he realized why the Empire was wrong so how many did he kill in there that was just like him?
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cara Dune is not being suppressed.

Fact 1: With WEG Star Wars as the basis, the SW EU was officially forged by the unholy shotgun marriage of The Thrawn Trilogy and The Dark Empire, as the official expansion expansion of the film universe.

Fact 2: The massive EU became rife with unresolved continuity conflicts despite having a continuity department to prevent them. Some (but not all) of the continuities were caused by Lucas himself by some top-down mandates about the EU, retconning older EU for the sake of newer films, and later retconning older EU and films for the sake of TCW.

Fact 3: Disney rebooted continuity, with only the six films and TCW surviving in the new canon. They said the reboot was to allow new story creators to have less restrictions and thus more creative freedom. They established the Story Group which was really the same department that "managed" continuity in George's franchise. This time, on paper all continuity would have equal status, so there wouldn't be any canon levels where some things automatically overrode other things. And there was no autocratic creative ruler with George gone. It was said they would have a greater focus on continuity, and it seemed at the time to be a genuine intention based on their experience with the EU.

Fact 4: The supposed focus on continuity was quickly proven to be a lie or an utter failure of mission. Disney Trio films contradicted Lucas films, TRoS contradicted TFA and TLJ, and they contradicted their own film-supporting publishing (such as Poe and Snoke's backstories), showing that Abrams gets what Abrams wants (canon be damned), like he was George Jr. or something. Lucasfilm and the Story Group blew their chance to be different than the EU.

Fact 5: This is a big one. I own a lot of Legends and Canon works, and there is a painfully obvious major difference in the non-story fluff resources for the EU and the Canon Universe. As a general practice, there is drastically less fluff text in the body of Canon works than there was in the EU works. This is achieved in two main ways. (1) The older youth/adult-oriented canon works simply have less fluff than the EU ones did. (2) There are much more 'less mature' works. The more child-oriented books have larger text and less text, which means they have less fluff. And less fluff means less continuity.

It was previously posited in this thread that the cancellation of The Mandalorian: The Ultimate Visual Guide was because the character of Cara Dune was in it. For my birthday I received two new canon resource books...

The first one, The Mandalorian Handbook, is clearly the replacement for The Ultimate Visual Guide. It covers both seasons, but this kiddie book was not fluffed up at all. There aren't any tidbits of information that are not explicit in the TV show itself, so there is no publishing continuity for future seasons of the show to possibly contradict. Cara Dune has the same two-page spread entry that all characters get, including even Grogu and Mando himself. The second new book, Star Wars: Character Encyclopedia, Updated and Expanded Edition, is the fourth edition of the book (third by Disney), and this is the first one that includes entries for characters from TRoS and The Mandalorian. Cara Dune is given the same-size entry that Luke Skywalker gets in this book.

There clearly is no effort being made by Lucasfilm to pretend Cara Dune doesn't exist, or to avoid publishing books that have her in them. There seems to be an intentional publication strategy to have less continuity to manage and thus less author restriction and less discontinuity, so it is baffling how they have so much discontinuity already. Maybe it was wise to cancel the Visual Guide if they were just going to contradict it later.

Although both books were designed for younger readers, they both turned out to be a bit better than I was expecting. I appreciate them for what they are.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Although both books were designed for younger readers, they both turned out to be a bit better than I was expecting. I appreciate them for what they are.

Reminds me of Maurice Sendak being asked why he chose to write for children. He replied "I write books. Then when other people see it they say "That's for children!".
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
Reminds me of Maurice Sendak being asked why he chose to write for children. He replied "I write books. Then when other people see it they say "That's for children!".

Yes, sometimes I can enjoy things that seem to be made for children. But what the quoted author describes is the opposite of one of my points being made here (from "Fact 5" down). I possess a lot of evidence that Disney implemented an intentional marketing strategy of skewing more publications toward younger readers. Kid books have less fluff and less continuity.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I possess a lot of evidence that Disney implemented an intentional marketing strategy of skewing more publications toward younger readers.

Well yeah, it's Disney, their name is slang for "kiddy level stuff". Just reminds of Sendak's quote is all.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/mandalorian-season-3-casts-christopher-lloyd-1235112715/

Say the wrong thing, porg!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/mandalorian-season-3-casts-christopher-lloyd-1235112715/

Say the wrong thing, porg!

Great Sco...sorry, news!

He could be an independent scientist:

Quote:
when this baby hits 0,5 past light speed you're gonna see some serious(...)

or a leader of anti-carbonite movement:

Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the season 2 ended and us all anticipating the continuation I am thinking in RPG terms with what will change in rules if any with Grogu now being a Yoda species, mandalotian since that is a culture and he is part of the clan mudhorn.

Now we have a yoda species, force user of unknown skill and potential, I say unknow skill becuse it seems the skill displayed are skill that comes back into memory, and with us not knowing the species and how early they can be trained, we can actually assume maybe a decade of training, making not really yougling level but closer to that of a padawan and thus slightly stronger.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odnRRZKhNPk

Season 3 trailer
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
ThrorII
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odnRRZKhNPk

Season 3 trailer

I'll be honest, after Book of Boba Fett and Obi-Wan Kenobi, I'm not excited about Mandolorian Season 3.

I feel that the entire arc of season 2 was crapped away with the final two episodes of BoBF. Working to get Grogu to a Jedi, only to have Luke Freaking Skywalker give him the 'pick me or your dad' choice, and Grogu immediately coming back, killed the weight of season 2's finally. Disney just couldn't let their little green money maker go, even if it served the plot. I know now that it is just content, and nothing can change.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 29 of 33

Jump to: