The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars: The High Republic (Project Luminous)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Star Wars: The High Republic (Project Luminous) Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aelwe
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:43 am    Post subject: Star Wars: The High Republic (Project Luminous) Reply with quote

So, apparently that's the next big thing in Star Wars it's some kind of initiative that will take place across books/comics: The High Republic, a coordinated effort after the Skywalker Saga to expand the galaxy.
They have coined the "High Republic" term to describe the era a couple of centuries or so before the Episode I.
It looks like they picked this era because it's removed enough from the canon timeline and also doesn't go as far back as The Old Republic, and it allows them to pick and choose and incorporate elements from the old canon as they see fit.
I'm not completely on board with the concept so far, some of the things they say seem a bit contradictory and it also seems to retcon some things from the previous canon, but at least is something new, we'll see.
It kind or reminds me of "Shadows of the Empire". They haven't said anything yet about videogames or other media beyond the books and comics, but I'm sure that if the books are successful we'll see something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCat5fXRyyU
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The High Republic Reply with quote

Aelwe wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCat5fXRyyU

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-the-high-republic

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_The_High_Republic

Thanks for sharing this. I watched the video earlier today. It looks like a publishing campaign for the franchise "downtime" in between films. Personally I'm not that excited about the setting but I really like the approach they did to bring all the authors in to brainstorm and plan out major plot points together as a group. They are trying to have a cohesive planned metaplot, something I wish the Disney Trio had. I'm not one for novels that much anymore (especial kid/youth prose books), but I'll probably get the #1 issue of the comic book and check it out.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
boccione2k
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read the bios published so far, and I'm not impressed.
All the characters seems too much stereotyped and underwhelming. I do hope that this project will be good, but judging from the bios, I'm not so hopeful.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.starwars.com/news/inside-star-wars-the-high-republic-meet-the-jedi-knights-and-masters
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is kind of the thing, with the volume of Star Wars material that they're going to be producing, whether it's comics, live action TV, movies, etc., it's kind of like what the novels were in the 1990's. Some of it is going to be great, a lot of it is going to be mediocre, and then there's going to be some stuff that just doesn't fly.

I'm prepared to like what I like, not indulge in the rest, and not spend my mental energy dwelling on why I don't like this or that.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
This is kind of the thing, with the volume of Star Wars material that they're going to be producing, whether it's comics, live action TV, movies, etc., it's kind of like what the novels were in the 1990's. Some of it is going to be great, a lot of it is going to be mediocre, and then there's going to be some stuff that just doesn't fly.

I'm prepared to like what I like, not indulge in the rest, and not spend my mental energy dwelling on why I don't like this or that.

Yeah, Star Wars has been a mixed bag ever since 1978. Are you speaking completely generally or do you intend on checking out The High Republic stuff specifically? If so, please share what you think here. Even if you don't like it, maybe just a brief statement would not take too much mental energy or dwell?

I'm committing to the first comic book, and I'll go from there. If I'm not drawn into it further I'm not going to spend any more time and money on it than that.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly think I'll be looking at it at my convenience. I don't plan on avoiding it. I don't plan on going out and getting the content the first day.

When I get around to it, I'll make sure that I post some reactions. It's not too much mental energy to say "I don't like this," or "I do like that." Or even to have mixed reactions. I think things deserve an honest review, and I'm prepared to do that.
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this was supposed to start in August, but due to the coronavirus, they're pushed back to January. However, I have these books on my cart on Amazon. And as of this moment, the High Republic novel Into The Dark is still scheduled for release in October. Is this still the case, or is the decision to delay the release of said novel sill undecided.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forceally wrote:
I know this was supposed to start in August, but due to the coronavirus, they're pushed back to January. However, I have these books on my cart on Amazon. And as of this moment, the High Republic novel Into The Dark is still scheduled for release in October. Is this still the case, or is the decision to delay the release of said novel sill undecided.

"Claudia Gray’s young adult novel Star Wars: The High Republic: Into the Dark has moved to a new release date of February 2, 2021."

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-the-high-republic-sees-revised-release-dates

That's straight from the dewback's mouth.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Forceally wrote:

"Claudia Gray’s young adult novel Star Wars: The High Republic: Into the Dark has moved to a new release date of February 2, 2021."

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-the-high-republic-sees-revised-release-dates

That's straight from the dewback's mouth.

I did a search, and I found the article as well. However, Amazon still has the October release listed. So the dewback and Amazon aren't talking to each other. Still in my cart as saved for later. Will wait until September before dealing with this
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I run into that with Amazon too. I'm sure they'll update the release date by September.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First Chapter of Star Wars: The High Republic - Light of the Jedi by Charles Soule

Link to text and introductory video
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:24 pm    Post subject: High Republic Reply with quote

Younger Yoda Concept Art

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: High Republic Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Younger Yoda Concept Art

I guess I shouldn't have been surprised by this. After his depiction in the Prequels, Yoda seemed to have had his little green nose in more galactic affairs than he let on in the Original Trilogy. He definitely looks like the "Great Warrior" Luke was looking for.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: High Republic Reply with quote

RyanDarkstar wrote:
Whill wrote:
Younger Yoda Concept Art

I guess I shouldn't have been surprised by this. After his depiction in the Prequels, Yoda seemed to have had his little green nose in more galactic affairs than he let on in the Original Trilogy. He definitely looks like the "Great Warrior" Luke was looking for.
Always figured that losing The Clone Wars, by his "own side" no less, is what taught Yoda that "Wars not make one great."

The betrayal on Kashyyyk and defeat at the Senate Building both seemed to be exceptionally humbling moments to even one that has lived that long. Feeling all the Jedi being killed, and betrayed by their own troops, all at once seemed to age him a century in one moment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: