The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Force Power: Phase
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Force Power: Phase Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject: Force Power: Phase Reply with quote

I really dislike this Force skill and would probably not allow it in one of my games because 1. it does not feel appropriate to the SWU; and 2. open to rampant abuse. Thoughts?

PHASE
Control Difficulty: Very Difficult (25)
Alter Difficulty: Heroic (30)
Time to Use: Action
Required Powers: Telekinesis
Effect: You can move through the spaces of your enemies, as well as through walls, vehicles, large objects, and other obstructions at Cautious speed, but must end your movement in an unoccupied space.
Special: You can maintain the phase power from round to round, extending the normal duration. Maintaining this power is a move action, and whenever you maintain the phase power you can only move at cautious speed. If you take damage while maintaining this power, you must make a Control check (Difficulty = 15 + damage taken) to maintain the power. If the rolls fails, the character takes 10D damage and is moved to closest clear area outside the solid object. If the character dies from the damage their body is stuck partially in the solid object.
Special Note: This power is exceptionally rare, requiring intense study and insight. When attempting to learn this power the character must study and meditate for several months to a year or more. At the end of this intense time of reflection and study they make a Difficult insight check (Perception) to see if they learn the power.
Source: Clone Wars Campaign Guide (p.51), D6 mechanics by +Oliver Queen
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter

Last edited by shootingwomprats on Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I’ve been considering a slate of powers focusing on space/time manipulation, mostly teleportation but some temporal manipulation as well (no time travel, but some manipulation). Phasing powers would be a decent fit under that, as well.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Interesting. I’ve been considering a slate of powers focusing on space/time manipulation, mostly teleportation but some temporal manipulation as well (no time travel, but some manipulation). Phasing powers would be a decent fit under that, as well.

Hopefully it helps or inspires creation for you. As an aside, I was thinking of allowing the skill to be used as a reactive defense as well as action. Also, as a balancing mechanic requiring a Force point to use. Though I think the high Force skill activation difficulties and making the skill a long and arduous journey to learn may be balance enough.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does one shoot someone phased??
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
How does one shoot someone phased??

I envisioned this as a move actions. So the Force user would change the tension of a surface, move through, tension surface restored. As this is a part of a move action, it happens so quickly as to not give protection. Also, the person is not the target and therefore is not what is intangible, its the material that becomes intangible.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D&D would be a useful source for game rules on phasing in combat.

Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
D&D would be a useful source for game rules on phasing in combat.

Phase Mystics from Phase World source book from Rifts
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, this doesn't seem very much like a Jedi power, it's a little too D&D I feel. It would be cool as a power for some weird other Force tradition though, along the lines of those Kathol Rift guys.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xain Arke wrote:
To me, this doesn't seem very much like a Jedi power, it's a little too D&D I feel. It would be cool as a power for some weird other Force tradition though, along the lines of those Kathol Rift guys.

I agree its not a well-known Force power and one that is difficult to use. At first I really did not like this power, but now that I have gotten my head around, I like more than I did.

First off was trying to figure out how the power worked. At first I thought it was the actual character was becoming intangible but that didn't really fit in my view of the SWU. Then I saw a the picture in Clone Wars Campaign Guide p.51.

You will notice that the wall is ripping. Which to me looks like the wall is being intangible not the character. So what is happening is the character is using the Force to move the molecules to change the tensile surface of the solid object so that they can pass through.

Now that, that sounds like Star Wars to me!
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
...You will notice that the wall is ripping. Which to me looks like the wall is being intangible not the character. So what is happening is the character is using the Force to move the molecules to change the tensile surface of the solid object so that they can pass through.

Now that, that sounds like Star Wars to me!

As a comic book fan, this sounds too comic-booky for Star Wars, in my opinion. In the spirit of CRM, I'll say that maybe it shouldn't be outright impossible, but the difficulty of rearranging billions of molecules throughout the process of a sentient animal and wall-sized objects to completely move through each other in just the right way so that they don't merge or disastrously rearrange the matter would be very high. Maybe sense and alter difficulties of 1000, with failure being very, very, very bad. So the player better have a trick wild die that always rolls sixes.

I honestly feel a Force-user opening a mini-wormhole on one side of the wall and walking through it to come out on the other side of the wall would be less difficult than phasing, and that still shouldn't be easy.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which to me sounds more like adnd, with dimension dooring..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D6 Powers has a version of this power where the Difficulty to Phase is based on the density of the object being phased through.

While it doesn't mention defensive use in combat, based on the above combined with how Intangibility is treated in D&D, I'd suggest treating it like an Armor effect, where the Phase provides a degree of protection against attacks based on how well the character rolled, with the protection reduced by 1D/2D for energy attacks.

EDIT: IMO, there's also room for two separate powers: a Control power that only works on the user, and a Control/Alter power that works on other characters / objects.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xain Arke wrote:

I tend to agree. I'm looking at a few other disciplines that Jedi don't appear to have access to, but are options under other Force traditions. The Sith Illusion Discipline and the Fallanassi White Current suggest that they are creating semi-real illusions instead of mental effects, and the space/time manipulation stuff would be primarily for the Aing-Tii monks.

shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh I am starting to dislike this power again. Only because of the ability to pass through people. GRRRRR. Stupid Saga Edition, damn my OCD.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Scots Dragon
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Ugh I am starting to dislike this power again. Only because of the ability to pass through people. GRRRRR. Stupid Saga Edition, damn my OCD.

To be fair, this isn't Saga Edition's fault.

This is the fault of the Dark Horse comics writers, who included the power in their ongoing Star Wars: Republic title as something Anya Kuro could do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: