The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Force Power: Phase
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Force Power: Phase Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is actually some precedent for tech-based phase shifting in the EU, as well. Granted, it's in the Jedi Academy trilogy, but it is some of the least objectionable new inventions from that trilogy.
    1) The Sun Crusher's armor is Quantum-Crystalline, which makes use of phase shift laminating to (as near as I can follow) phase a second sheet of super-dense armor inside another sheet.

2) The Metal-Crystal Phase Shifter uses weaponized phase shifting to weaken the hull integrity of a target vessel.
Also, one of my list of things to do for my WH40K crossover is a Phase Field Generator used to penetrate solid objects like blast doors or ship hulls by taking a section of the hull out of phase, so that characters can pass straight through it.

I don't think this stuff should be common by any sense of the word, but I also don't object to it showing up in limited amounts, either by tech or by Force.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scots Dragon wrote:
shootingwomprats wrote:
Ugh I am starting to dislike this power again. Only because of the ability to pass through people. GRRRRR. Stupid Saga Edition, damn my OCD.

To be fair, this isn't Saga Edition's fault.

This is the fault of the Dark Horse comics writers, who included the power in their ongoing Star Wars: Republic title as something Anya Kuro could do.

It's stuff like this that makes fans think that the Force is indistinguishable from magic.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, now that I'm home, here are some tidbits from the D6 Powers write-up for Intangibility (loosely translated into WEGspeak):
    -Difficulty based on the Strength / Resistance Difficulty level of the material the character is attempting to phase through.

-If the skill roll fails, the character remains solid and cannot walk through the obstacle.

-While intangible, any Physical Damage is reduced by 1D "per Power Rank." (Under the WEG system, there'd likely be a chart that scales up Damage Reduction based on how well the character rolled Control/Alter).

-The character can make an attack by reaching an intangible limb into the target's body and solidifying it (Brawling skill roll @ +10 Difficulty). On a successful hit, roll the character's Control dice against the target's Strength dice, with loser taking Damage equal to the attacker's Control dice.

Scots Dragon
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Scots Dragon wrote:
shootingwomprats wrote:
Ugh I am starting to dislike this power again. Only because of the ability to pass through people. GRRRRR. Stupid Saga Edition, damn my OCD.

To be fair, this isn't Saga Edition's fault.

This is the fault of the Dark Horse comics writers, who included the power in their ongoing Star Wars: Republic title as something Anya Kuro could do.

It's stuff like this that makes fans think that the Force is indistinguishable from magic.

Honestly it already kind of was.

The Force was described as magical in the first film. Obi-Wan was mentioned as being a wizard by Owen, and Vader’s Sith stuff was described as ‘sorcerer’s ways’. And then you get to the Witches of Dathomir and the Sorcerers of Tund.

The Force has kind of always been space magic.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scots Dragon wrote:
Whill wrote:

Honestly it already kind of was.

The Force was described as magical in the first film. Obi-Wan was mentioned as being a wizard by Owen, and Vader’s Sith stuff was described as ‘sorcerer’s ways’. And then you get to the Witches of Dathomir and the Sorcerers of Tund.

The Force has kind of always been space magic.

Kind of. First of all, it is prudent for discussion of this topic to put a divider between films and EU. The Witches of Dathomir, the Sorcerers of Tund, the magic of Endor, and such are definitely more along the lines of fantasy magic. No dispute there. But that isn't always, because the franchise started in the films and that got added in publishing later. Also, your average fan is unfamiliar with most of that stuff.

"Always" does go back to ANH. The references to Old Ben being a crazy old wizard and Vader as having sorcerer's ways are magical references, sure. But they are referring to the magic of Star Wars, which is The Force. It is the closest thing to magic in Star Wars films. That doesn't mean that it is magic. It is like magic in some ways and different in some ways. Also, it is worth mentioning that both of those characters (Owen Lars and Admiral Motti) are skeptical and critical of The Force and Force-users, so they are insulting it by referring to it as magic. It's insulting because magic isn't real while the Force is. You can throw Han in there too by his saying the Force is "simple tricks." Han emphatically states he doesn't believe in The Force.

I took my son to the dentist sometime after seeing TRoS. The hygienist was a Star Wars fan. Her whole family (husband and kids) all went to the see the movie and talked about it afterwards. Apparently someone in her family had criticism of it and she had defended it. She asked my son how he liked it and he said he did but he said a lot of things didn't make sense. She said, ask me. He brought up the Force Bond teleporting necklace and lightsaber. She said, "Well that was the same thing that Obi-Wan did to get Qui-Gon's lightsaber when he fought Darth Maul in TPM." My son said, "No, that was telekinesis." She said, "Well, the Force is just what they call magic in that universe." To her, The Force and magic were indistinguishable from each other.

In my opinion, that's not how the Force works. 'Bamf' is not the same thing as telekinesis. One is not The Force and one is.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, the biggest failing there was that Disney failed to establish precedent for it. If there had been some sort of story factor establishing that there were new disciplines or circumstances that permitted such a thing, then it would've been at least somewhat palatable.

Obviously, I have a more open view of what the Force is capable of than you, although I do agree with you on some aspects: things like conjuring/summoning creatures to fight for you, true metamorphosis (as in actual physical change, not merely the illusion of it), rapid changes in mass, etc, should not be allowed.

My view of the Force more closely parallels the various Psychic Powers found in other gaming universi, where things like intangibility and teleportation have long been the norm. I'm also not averse to mining magical spell compendiums for ideas, either; things like the Mirror Image spell work well for the Sith Illusion Discipline or the Fallanassi, spells like Knock / Lock could be reinterpreted as using TK to render a door unopenable (twisted in its frame or messing up the lock mechanism), etc. And I've always wanted to flesh out something like the Abjuration discipline with opposed Light Side / Dark Side energy/mental battles hinted at in the Tales of the Jedi comics.

Of course, just because a power exists doesn't mean that a Jedi should have access to it...

Whill

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
IMO, the biggest failing there was that Disney failed to establish precedent for it. If there had been some sort of story factor establishing that there were new disciplines or circumstances that permitted such a thing, then it would've been at least somewhat palatable.

Obviously, I have a more open view of what the Force is capable of than you... My view of the Force more closely parallels the various Psychic Powers found in other gaming universi

Well, as it has been pointed out, there are precedents to 'Force magic' in the EU which is is used as a source of inspiration for the Disney canon universe. Your average moviegoer doesn't know about that stuff in Star Wars or other gaming universes. They know about magic called magic from other movies and incorrectly believed that The Force was just the Star Wars word for magic. They didn't have any confirmation that control of The Force could bamf objects until they saw it in TRoS, which they take as conformation that the Force always worked that way.

In the old franchise, there was a clear divide between what George Lucas showed that the Force can do in movies, and what he allowed others to make up that it can do in publishing. I admit that my view of the Force is most informed by Lucas' view of The Force. The powers added by WEG in the core books always felt like a natural extension of The Force in the films. Some of the stuff in the Tales of the Jedi book is going a bit too far for my tastes, but my understanding is that largely came from comic books which have a lot of objectionable stuff like all Jedi bodies fade away at death and they all become Force ghosts, something which always contradicted ANH.

I never really objected to the interstellar "Force Dyad" "Force Bond" between Rey and Ren. In TRoS, Ren and Rey had a 'remote' lightsaber battle through their Force Bond. Ren was in a city down on the surface of a planet, and Rey was in a star destroyer up in the sky above the city. It's a silly scene, but I didn't really even object to that because I rationalized that it could really just be a battle of wills that visually appeared as lightsaber duel. (Neither character was wounded during the 'battle'.) But earlier in the film, Ren reached through the connection and ripped a necklace off of Rey. Ren was even in a different star system than Rey at the time, so the necklace instantaneously travelled to a different star system at much faster than lightspeed, which is already a miraculous speed of thousands of times the speed of light. Yeah, that is definitely a bit beyond what the Force can do in my view, and I don't think I am alone in this sudden drastic change in what the franchise is saying the Force can do.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I agree; stuff like that is silly. I'm not averse to incorporating teleportation of people, objects or even large things like starships, so long as the ground work is suitably laid for it (the fact that Zahn introduced it for the Aing-Tii in VotF is sufficient for me as a starting point), but simply throwing it in as described is too much.

cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny thing, I did a conversion of Phase when we were originally working on the CWCG back in the day with Gry Sarth. I did a write up, we kicked it around for a little while, and all agreed that it was stupid but a faithful representation of what was in the d20 book. When the book went to "print" Gry edited out. Apparently because he thought it was stupid, and needed no converting.

I used it as the basis for a spell in a D6 Fantasy game, and it was kind of fun there.

Here's my original take on it:
Quote:

Phase
Control Difficulty: Difficult
Alter Difficulty: Very Difficult
Required Powers: Absorb/dissipate energy, concentration, hibernation trance, emptiness (or rage), telekinesis, cloak.
Effect: Phase allows a Jedi to shift his body out of phase so that it does not interact with physical matter for one round. This effectively allows the Jedi to pass through doors, walls, or other solid objects. However, while using phase, the Jedi reduces his movement score by two-thirds. If the Jedi is unable to finish his movement in an unoccupied space, he takes 8D damage for materializing while occupying the same space as another object.
Source: Clone Wars Campaign Guide, page 51

Altogether very similar. Granted, the rolls are easier than yours shootingwomprats, and it has more required powers (I think that was kind of a limiting factor, albeit not much).
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Altogether very similar. Granted, the rolls are easier than yours shootingwomprats, and it has more required powers (I think that was kind of a limiting factor, albeit not much).

Yeah I was trying to shoe-horn in some limiting mechanics because it is a Force power that could abused badly. Also, if I remember the comic book, The Dark Lady only ever used this power when she was in real danger. But then again, when Vader tracked her down, she did not use the power at all, but instead relied on her Force plant power.

To me there had to a reason for the use of the power in one situation but not in another. So, the limiting factor needs to worked out.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would submit that this is the core problem with a literalist approach to stat conversions; adhering as closely as possible to the source material assumes that the source material itself was any good to begin with. Just based on what you've said, I'm wondering if the D20/FFG power might not be overly simplistic. There's no reason you can't write up a Phase power of your own that diverges from what you're converting from.

Personally, I like what I posted above from D6 powers; make the character roll their Control / Alter against the Toughness Difficulty (see the Cover/Concealment rules) or its Hull rating, perhaps with a +2D-4D Difficulty modifier for attempting to pass through a living being.

cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, we had someone who had it in our SAGA game, and yes, they used it for everything. Yes, there are some innate problems with conversions. But this power wound up being a problem even in its native system.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Oh, we had someone who had it in our SAGA game, and yes, they used it for everything. Yes, there are some innate problems with conversions. But this power wound up being a problem even in its native system.

Then I'd say this power definitely needs a re-write, and not a straight conversion. It's not going to be for everyone, but if people conceptually include space/time manipulation powers (ala the Aing-Tii), then this power isn't such a stretch, but it needs to be properly balanced.

cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were to allow it in my game, I'd keep the difficulty on the D/VD end, but make them burn a Force Point to activate it. There's got to be a reason it's rare.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
If I were to allow it in my game, I'd keep the difficulty on the D/VD end, but make them burn a Force Point to activate it. There's got to be a reason it's rare.

That's why my difficulties were so high. Also, originally I thought about the Force Point expenditure as a limiting mechanic, but per RAW they are rare. Perhaps spending Character Points instead? They can spend a Force Point if they don't have anymore Character Points.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: