The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

COVID/Pandemic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> COVID/Pandemic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Condolences. Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Thanks, guys. I guess a lot of people have stated they aren't coming to the funeral Saturday so they are going to webcast it - We can watch it safely from home. We are still going to the viewing tomorrow, to be the first ones there, and out before too much people traffic comes through.

Dealing with this with my sister, too. We have tentative plans to hold a life celebration some time in mid-June (around her birthday), but can't do anything concrete for obvious reasons.

My condolences on your loss. It's doubly hard when you have to face your grief while in forced isolation. So many of the things one might do to distract or keep busy aren't possible.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. At the viewing last night, my son didn't want to go in so I stayed with in him the car (packed far away from others) while my wife went in with her mask. A girl from church is making and selling nice multi-layer fabric masks, and we had commissioned her to make several extras to pass out to family members. My wife gave masks to her grandmother, mom, and dad at the viewing. My mother-in-law walked out to the car without her new mask. My son and I talked to her but she stayed 6' away from the car.

It was good to watch the funeral service on our new big TV in the living room this morning. We could see and hear the grieving of the family members physically there so we really felt like they were with us as my wife, son, and I cried together on the couch.

We were also sad to see that everyone there was crammed in shoulder to shoulder and hardly anyone wore a mask, including the three people we gave them to last night. We felt very confident we had made the right decision not to go to the funeral in person.

My wife was really worried that her family would be upset with. Her mom is not taking Coronavirus serious enough but she at least did the right thing by being supportive of my wife staying home for the funeral. Her dad was also supportive of our decision. My wife's sister believes wacky conspiracy theories about the pandemic (which I won't dignify with details here) so she undoubtedly disapproves of us not being there in person, but for the time being she has kept it to herself, which is probably the best case scenario.

Unfortunately last night MawMaw didn't understand why we weren't coming to the funeral today and probably feels slighted. I told my wife MawMaw should gets a pass since she just lost her husband of over 70 years (we had a big party for them in the fall). My wife fears that MawMaw doesn't care about the pandemic now because PawPaw is gone and she couldn't even be with him when he passed. She is extremely at risk due to multiple medical conditions, on top of being 89 years old.

My wife told her family she wanted to have a more upbeat celebration of PawPaw's life at a better time, with lots of bluegrass since he was a bluegrass musician for many years. Of course, we have no idea when that could take place.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Freelance Author, my working conditions have only changed in that I can't go out and do my preliminary work on paper. I have to go right to typing things.

Other than that, been handling things semi-OK. A little more stressed than usual. Scared more when I go out to get supplies and beer (mostly beer), but that's about it.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being i've been retired for 8 years now, and have not really done much outside the home, other than gardening, shopping or gaming, its not been that much of an impact on my life.
Urban Spaceman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of my job is providing PPE to our workforce. As you might imagine, that's become a major part of my job in the last few months. So I've still been working this whole time, despite being a high risk for other health reasons.

Before all this kicked off, I was told that I'm being made redundant due to restructuring. I'm now they only one in from my department, as they new, young folks they brought in have anxiety issues about being exposed to COVID-19.

I'm looking forward to leaving in June, as after 18 years of service they are just using me now.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urban, I'm sorry to hear about your job. I wish you the best, including staying healthy in the meantime.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 12:28 am    Post subject: pandemic hair Reply with quote

I got my first coronacut tonight. It was way overdue. I bought a nice clipper set for $21 and my wife gave me her first ever haircut. For first time, she did an amazing job. Barber shops are reopening in Ohio Friday, but the big surge of everyone rushing out to do things they have been restricted from doing for a while is probably not the safest time to go out. I feel horrible for my barber and I do plan on patronizing him again at some point in the future, but not yet.

I also hadn't shaved in a week to see what would happen. It turns out I can grow a full beard, but it is mostly white. I can honestly say I do not have a single gray hair anywhere on my body. I just have dark brown or albino white hairs. No in-between. The white hairs on my head blend in more when it is cut short, but if I grew my beard it would be very white and I would look a lot older than I do (I tend to pass for a lot younger than I am). Not having to shave would be a nice convenience, but I'm just barely old enough to be my son's grandfather so I'd like to not look like it.

One reason I don't look my age is that I don't have the male pattern baldness gene. All the men on my mom's side of the family are all bald. My dad is 77 and still has a full head of hair. But it is all white, so I know that is the direction I am headed.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's why i've generally cut my OWN hair for decades...
Urban Spaceman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Urban, I'm sorry to hear about your job. I wish you the best, including staying healthy in the meantime.

Thanks, Whill. Congrats on the haircut! I'm genuinely jealous, as mine is almost unmanageable at the moment.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
that's why i've generally cut my OWN hair for decades...

I bought a set of Wahl trimmers back in the early aughts and didn't have to replace them until this year. I used to joke that my haircuts got cheaper every time.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: pandemic hair Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I got my first coronacut tonight. It was way overdue. I bought a nice clipper set for $21 and my wife gave me her first ever haircut. For first time, she did an amazing job. Barber shops are reopening in Ohio Friday, but the big surge of everyone rushing out to do things they have been restricted from doing for a while is probably not the safest time to go out. I feel horrible for my barber and I do plan on patronizing him again at some point in the future, but not yet.

I also hadn't shaved in a week to see what would happen. It turns out I can grow a full beard, but it is mostly white. I can honestly say I do not have a single gray hair anywhere on my body. I just have dark brown or albino white hairs. No in-between. The white hairs on my head blend in more when it is cut short, but if I grew my beard it would be very white and I would look a lot older than I do (I tend to pass for a lot younger than I am). Not having to shave would be a nice convenience, but I'm just barely old enough to be my son's grandfather so I'd like to not look like it.

One reason I don't look my age is that I don't have the male pattern baldness gene. All the men on my mom's side of the family are all bald. My dad is 77 and still has a full head of hair. But it is all white, so I know that is the direction I am headed.

I went to the barber yesterday. Tipped the gal who cut my hair as well as the other barber who was in there. I also noticed that their price went up by $3 for a haircut. No big deal to me, but I hope that things can get back to where they are able to lower the price back down to what it was.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: pandemic hair Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:

I went to the barber yesterday. Tipped the gal who cut my hair as well as the other barber who was in there. I also noticed that their price went up by $3 for a haircut. No big deal to me, but I hope that things can get back to where they are able to lower the price back down to what it was.

Maybe with their upping their prices you shouldn't tip so much.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, man. They've been hit pretty hard by the lockdowns. I'm totally pro small business--especially in my neighborhood. These people are essentially my neighbors, after all. They need a little boost from folks who care. I was just trying to offer them a ray of sunshine on their path to financial recovery.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: pandemic hair Reply with quote

Naaman, you da man.

garhkal wrote:
Naaman wrote:

Wow garhkal, just wow. You know that non-essential services have been shut down in a lot of places so these people have lost their income for a couple months. We aren't talking about gold pieces in a game. This is real life.

My family unfortunately used to eat out a lot. Well during the pandemic we have stayed home and cooked a lot more meals (I'm getting really good at grilled cheese and fried baloney sandwiches now, lol). About once a week, we have done carry out. (I still never do delivery.) Before the pandemic, I never tipped for to-go orders. I do now, and tip well, more than I used to for dine-in, even without knowing if they got my order right or not. Many of these food service workers were only part-time before the pandemic, and a lot of them are not getting as many hours as they used to, and a lot of people still don't tip for take-out, so I'm trying to help them out. Based on my experiences, I've come to believe in Karma. But there is a very practical aspect to tipping too: servers remember the good tippers.

My family has actually saved a lot of money by not eating out so much. This pandemic has had that silver lining for us. As things reopen, we are remaining cautious and not rushing out to do everything when everyone else does. We will try to continue to remain safe during the upcoming corona spike up.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: pandemic hair Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Naaman, you da man.

garhkal wrote:
Naaman wrote:

Wow garhkal, just wow. You know that non-essential services have been shut down in a lot of places so these people have lost their income for a couple months. We aren't talking about gold pieces in a game. This is real life.

Yes i do know they've been locked down, just LIKE everyone else has.. So if they are upping their base prices, how then do they expect folks to not only be able to afford the hair cut, but also a tip?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 5 of 16

Jump to: