The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

How's the weather?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> How's the weather? Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:59 am    Post subject: How's the weather? Reply with quote

What is the weather like where you are?

Last night rain turned into a light but steady sleeting that continued all night and all day, finally turning to snow tonight. It's below freezing and a winter wonder land outside.

Thankfully, I'm working from home and my wife is allowed to work from home today and tomorrow. My son's school was closed today and tomorrow. So we don't have to go anywhere, but it really sucks walking the dog outside.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

North Central Florida....
We hit almost 80 degrees today, even though a few days ago we actually had two freezing nights one after another.

Tomorrow is supposed to be high 70s-80 again...
And then we plummet into the 60s during the day, and 40s at night for the next week....

The horror....

Considering I came originally from England, I'm just glad I'm not shoveling snow, quite frankly...

~Ty
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of ice and snow, to where most of the area around columbus are in a Level 2 'snow emergency'...
ThrorII
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern AZ here.

It is dry, but cold. The lows have been in the teens, and averaging 14-22 degrees (F) when I drive the kids to school at 7:30am.

It gets above freezing by around noon, but drops when the sun goes down.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll bet that's cold for Arizona. For me, it's 15° F right now (late morning) with a high of 20° today. But I would take the cold without the all the snow, because when it never gets above freezing the snow doesn't melt. Right now they are forecasting Wednesday to have a high of 37° and we are also having snow showers so it still won't melt. No good snow melting days in the 10 day forecast. Most days it is freezing or below. Ugh.

garhkal wrote:
Lots of ice and snow, to where most of the area around columbus are in a Level 2 'snow emergency'...

Yeah, they just downgraded to Level 1 this morning, but that is just because roads are clear enough. We have so much snow that a snow plow came through once quickly on my street yesterday and actually blocked our car in, so our car is trapped until I take a snow shovel and dig it out. But I haven't yet because we don't have anywhere we need to go yet. I'll dig it out tomorrow. My son and I helped shovel the sidewalks of our immediate neighbors (which also created a path for some of the dog walk).
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in Phoenix, Arizona, where it has been getting down to the low 40's in the night and up to the 70's in the day. Northern Arizona does get a lot colder that most people think because it gets up around 7,000 above sea level and higher.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elevation can make a big difference to climate.

My experience with Arizona in minimal, only been a couple times in my life. And it was all southern AZ, like Phoenix and Yuma (one day my now-wife and I visited the filming locations of Jabba's Sail Barge from there, which is technically just in California). But it was in the Summer, where you could comfortably walk a mile to Dairy Queen in a dry 100° F, but couldn't eat the ice cream outside or it would instantly melt.

I guarantee you would hate even 80° in Ohio because of air humidity. 100° in Ohio is completely unbearable. But that is what air conditioning is for.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have family in Minnesota and I have visited in July, so I know that misery of hot enough combined with 100% humidity...

The worst you get in Phoenix is when you get into a car that has been parked in the sun and you cannot tough anything without burning you hands (watch out for the metal bits on seatbelts!), the AC blows out superheated oven air for the first two or three minutes, and you feel the skin on your face tightening as your body's moisture is quickly being lost.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I'll bet that's cold for Arizona. For me, it's 15° F right now (late morning) with a high of 20° today. But I would take the cold without the all the snow, because when it never gets above freezing the snow doesn't melt. Right now they are forecasting Wednesday to have a high of 37° and we are also having snow showers so it still won't melt. No good snow melting days in the 10 day forecast. Most days it is freezing or below. Ugh.

garhkal wrote:

Yeah, they just downgraded to Level 1 this morning, but that is just because roads are clear enough. We have so much snow that a snow plow came through once quickly on my street yesterday and actually blocked our car in, so our car is trapped until I take a snow shovel and dig it out. But I haven't yet because we don't have anywhere we need to go yet. I'll dig it out tomorrow. My son and I helped shovel the sidewalks of our immediate neighbors (which also created a path for some of the dog walk).

Strange, when i checked my area, we are still level 2...
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Strange, when i checked my area, we are still level 2...

Do you live in Franklin County? Our sheriff's office tweeted this morning we are down to Level One. Some surrounding counties got up to Level 3 and they may be Level 2 now.

https://twitter.com/OHFCSO/status/1489949578757644288

Of course, that is a judgment made for roadways in the county as a whole, and may not reflect every area. Many neighborhoods in Franklin County have had no snow removal of any kind. "Level 1" may not mean much if you are stuck on your street or driveway.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Winnipeg. We have Winnipeg winter weather.

Which is horrific by Canadian standards.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
I live in Winnipeg. We have Winnipeg winter weather.

Which is horrific by Canadian standards.

Thanks, Ray. I'm not a fan of Ohio winter and it is always nice to hear from those who have it worse. It helps put things in perspective. Cool
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
ThrorII
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I'll bet that's cold for Arizona.

It's pretty cold for us. We generally get snow in Jan-Feb, and usually it is only a few inches to a couple feet, and melts in a few days to a week. Every 10 years or so we'll get 3' or more and it will last for a week.

We usually get 1-2 good storms a year. We're at 5,300 feet.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son and I went ahead and shoveled the car out today while we still had daylight. It was a hard, heavy snow. My lower back was sore. My son pulled a muscle so he's a little sore. It sucked but it's done.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
ThrorII
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
My son and I went ahead and shoveled the car out today while we still had daylight. It was a hard, heavy snow. My lower back was sore. My son pulled a muscle so he's a little sore. It sucked but it's done.

I feel for you. We had a 3 foot dumping last year, and boy-howdy, that hurt my back!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: