The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Starship piloting
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Starship piloting Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see this as the drivers licence here on earth, most of has it and can drive a car, we can also drive busses and truck, But truck and bus drivers are specialized , same with race car drivers and the like.

So I would have a starship piloting skill base that is "drivers licence" and then have specializations, but based on "requiremnets"

I was thinking that for most ships there is "crew skill" rating, and I was thingking this is minimum for this "specialization"
So once you have specialized in starfigher you can when you get examle 3D+3 in this fly that and that craft
some may have systems that require astogation as well
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
I see this as the drivers licence here on earth, most of has it and can drive a car, we can also drive busses and truck, But truck and bus drivers are specialized , same with race car drivers and the like.

I've yet to see someone who just has a base DL, get to drive a bus or truck, without needing a separate license FOR those vehicles...
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Mamatried wrote:

I've yet to see someone who just has a base DL, get to drive a bus or truck, without needing a separate license FOR those vehicles...

I did not say get to drive, I say knows how to.

I know hove to drive both a truck and a bus, I am legally allowed to, as my drivers licence doen't cover bus and trucks, but I have the skill.

I have 2 legs for the pedals, arms for the sttering and the gears.

so any car based on that system I will have the skill to drive, I am not allowed to.

is like having a motor cycle, this will also include Mopeds, and if you can drive a Moped you can skill wise drive any mortocyle out there
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I feel starship only sounds more appropriate for the setting because it has "Star" in the name and most spaceships shown in the films have hyperdrives and thus qualify as starships.

You're correct; it is entirely an aesthetic choice on my part.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:

I drive a truck for a living. I can assure you there are drastic differences in operation, in spite of the similarities. It took me a month of full time schooling (after 20+ years of driving a normal car) to even be comfortable driving a full-size rig on city streets, and that WITH an instructor still sitting in the passenger seat.

Short version; you don't actually know how to drive a truck; you just think you do.

MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

MrNexx wrote:
My delineation would be on crew size. "Starship Piloting" is for vehicles that can be flown by a single person, even at a penalty. If everyone else is unconscious, a single person can fly a YT-1300. A single person can fly a Y-Wing. Once you start needing trained Command skills to coordinate all your pilots, it stops being a matter of "Bob flies the ship" and more "Bob monitors the leftmost engine"... it's not a Piloting skill, but a ship operations skill.

What about Ground Vehicle Operation, Hover Vehicle Operation, Jet Pack Operation, Powersuit Operation, Repulsorlift Operation, Rocket Pack Operation, Swoop Operation, and Walker Operation? Did you rename all those as Piloting skills since they usually can be operated by one person?

The skill used to fly Space Transports at (what RAW calls) starfighter-scale, flies ships in both of your categories. Out of the words "piloting" and "operation", operation sounds a little more general to me.

Not really; I was more talking about the distinction on what would be different skills... like someone who can handle flying a single-pilot spacecraft (2D Mech, 4D skill) can handle most single-pilot spacecraft in the game system, but would not, necessarily, do well in a multi-pilot craft.I chose more words poorly.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I drive a truck for a living. I can assure you there are drastic differences in operation, in spite of the similarities. It took me a month of full time schooling (after 20+ years of driving a normal car) to even be comfortable driving a full-size rig on city streets, and that WITH an instructor still sitting in the passenger seat.

I don't think I know how to drive a semi. I imagine it is nothing like driving the U-Haul truck I drove last time I moved.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I don't think I know how to drive a semi. I imagine it is nothing like driving the U-Haul truck I drove last time I moved.

There are some similarities: size, for one thing. But ultimately, a straight truck like even the largest U-Haul operates much like a car, just on a larger scale. Combination vehicles (tractor & detachable trailer) however, bring their own special sets of problems to the mix.

The most difficult part to master was the transmission; a 10-speed manual with no synchro-meshing requires a completely different thought pattern to operate, and that's just the basic transmission fitted to most over-the-road trucks. Then you start getting into the higher levels, like 15- and 18-speed manuals, which I still just barely grasp. Truck manufacturers have finally produced a working automatic transmission for trucks (technically, it's more a computer-shifted manual than a true automatic), so the learning curve is a little more forgiving, but drivers who can't drive manuals are something of a second-class citizen in the driving community.

On top of that, it requires a completely different mindset in driving. Having to constantly be thinking ahead as to the best positioning to be in to take that tight turn you see coming up, how to make the most of the limited turning space available in the customers parking lot (or whether you should just back in the driveway in the first place), watching out for overhead obstruction as well as at ground level (most trucks are 3-4 times taller than the average car, so you have to worry about low-hanging branches, overhead lights, building overhangs, etc), all while operating a vehicle that's 70 feet long, weighs 80,000 lbs fully loaded, and that bends in the middle. And all of this takes years of doing it on a daily basis for it to truly become instinctive in the same way as driving a car.

A person with good instincts for vehicle performance and spatial awareness could likely hop into a truck and move it from Point A to Point B with few difficulties, so long as they didn't have to do anything too complicated, but in game terms, that would be best represented by a character with a high Mechanical Attribute, not the specific training represented by a skill improved above the Attribute.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Mamatried wrote:

Short version; you don't actually know how to drive a truck; you just think you do.

Hell, most folk these days, don't even get taught/train on Stick shift cars/pick up trucks.. So its hard for me to see, even a casual stick shift vehicle driver, just upping and moving over to a big rig..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Hell, most folk these days, don't even get taught/train on Stick shift cars/pick up trucks.. So its hard for me to see, even a casual stick shift vehicle driver, just upping and moving over to a big rig..

And I had something of a leg up in that my parents insisted that I learn to drive on a stick before transitioning to an automatic.

Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

A person with good instincts for vehicle performance and spatial awareness could likely hop into a truck and move it from Point A to Point B with few difficulties, so long as they didn't have to do anything too complicated, but in game terms, that would be best represented by a character with a high Mechanical Attribute, not the specific training represented by a skill improved above the Attribute.

I went to a crime scene a few months ago where some bad guys stole a tractor-trailer full of beer.

They failed to negotiate a turn on a rural road and the trailer ended up in the ditch tipped at a 45 degree angle, still connected.

They abandonned the truck.

I guess their car-driving skill just didn't translate too well for them. Smile
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a passage in Tom Wolfe's The Right Stuff where he describes how the test pilots at Edwards would routinely wreck cars out on the back roads of the Mojave Desert, with the author laying a part of the blame on fighter pilot ego, in that as they were some of the best airplane pilots on the planet, they believed (falsely) that that skill translated over to automobiles.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

And I had something of a leg up in that my parents insisted that I learn to drive on a stick before transitioning to an automatic.

I WISH my dad had done the same to me. BUT No, he started training ME on our automatic..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: