The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Prestige Classes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Prestige Classes Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject: Prestige Classes Reply with quote

In D20, we see the concept of prestige classes, high specialized variant classes you have to pass some requirements to play.

example could be the deep space pilot
to be able to take levels inthis class you need to have a minimum of skills and skill ranks.

is this possible in star wars D6, and if so, how would this be done?

I am trying to make the Emperor's hand but to me it seems to be a very specialized class with the requirement that you "impress, or get notcied by the old guy)
So to me this means someone capable in skills at least that is above the norm, maybe above the average starter character.
(in this I ignore the write up of Mara Sue Jade)

Here is my attempt at the class.

Emperor's Hand (Prestige Class)
-Minimum Requirements
DEX 3D, PER 3D, STR 3D
Must Have at least 5 DEX, STR, PER skills at 5D
Must have at least 2 KNO, TEC Skills at 3D
Must be force sensitve

DEX

KNO
+1D (s)Bureaucracy-Galactic Empire
+1 Intimidation
+1D willpower

MEC

PER
+2 Command
+1D Investigation
+1D Search

STR

TEC
+1D Computer Programming/Repair
+1D Security

-Telepathic Link: Not sure how to do this one, but receptive telepathy at least, and later a natural progression to projected telepathy
-Authority: (possible bonus to command)
-Rescourses (bonus to make requisitions of Imperial material and personell)

SENSE 1D
Receptive Telepathy

Loose 1 force point if more than two
Recive 1 DSP

My thoughts are once you have the qualifications, you are now somewhat "locked" into the path and spend you CP to gain the listed skills before you do anything else.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heresy detected. Purge the heretic.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone did a version of that from the Star Wars D20 iirc. I don't remember where I found it, but the basis was that for each determined amount of skills a PC raised, they earned a level in a PRC. Converted PRCs were Elite Soldier, High Stakes Gambler, Smuggler Prince, Ace Pilot, and one or two Force Users.

Its an interesting take on D6, but adds complication to a fairly simple system, imho.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played D&D quite a bit. I never really got the attraction to the 'prestige' classes when they invented them for 3rd edition.

When you strip them down, it's simply a way to get some extra abilities and powers that are sort of related to the class...and the ability to call yourself whatever the name of the class is.

"I'm not just a regular ______...I'm a RAINBOW SWORD-DEFENDER!"

Since D6 is about skill building rather than special abilities, I don't think the prestige classes would work unless you build in a new powers/abilities to go with them.

I think the skill selection and ratings you get them to defines who the character is. The archetype is just a starting point.

Now having said all that, when I did my mandalorians write-up, I realized all the characters were going to be the same base archetype so I developed some sub-sets that some might view as a kind hybridized of prestige class system, with skill dice bonuses instead of powers.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The closest the RAW comes to Prestige Classes are Advanced Skills. By picking the right prerequisites, this allows you to improve the effective level of those skills more rapidly because they stack with the Advanced Skill. It's also highly recommended that you come up with specific tasks that can only be performed by using the Advanced Skill (or alternately, tasks that can only be performed at great difficulty without it).

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:

Its an interesting take on D6, but adds complication to a fairly simple system, imho.

Agreed. I could possibly see a base NPC template for emperor's hand, but that would be it.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

LOL. Yes, I see no reason whatsoever to add any aspect of classes/levels/feats/hit points, etc. to D6. The D6 system was pointedly designed to avoid all that.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see how this can be done with specialities and advance skills.

but I find the concept kind of interesting.
Scots Dragon
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

LOL. Yes, I see no reason whatsoever to add any aspect of classes/levels/feats/hit points, etc. to D6. The D6 system was pointedly designed to avoid all that.

I can see an argument for talents/traits and flaws as a general thing you can add or subtract from characters. Stuff that adds and subtracts dice to certain existing skills while active, which can be used as the place where you put stuff like the lightsabre forms or similar special bonuses.
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always considered prestige classes as character templates/archetypes with a different set and level of skills for D6.
There's no need to create any special rules for them.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:
I have always considered prestige classes as character templates/archetypes with a different set and level of skills for D6.
There's no need to create any special rules for them.

I have too, ans maybe it isthe variuos write up that I find lacking.

Lets take an example with special forces. to me they are BASELINE soldiers that is given added training.

so a specila forces template that simply replace the basline solders done's do it.

a green beret is forst a soldier , lets say infantry man, he then ADDS the special forces training , while most if not all wrtie up makes him a GB fro the start.
that is my main reason for thinking in prestige classes.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

I would like to see something on the nature of feats... special, learnable, abilities that are not reliant upon the Force. There's some limited amount from martial arts maneuvers and such, but something to help differentiate one person with 5D blaster from another person with 5D blaster would be nice.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Whill wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

I would like to see something on the nature of feats... special, learnable, abilities that are not reliant upon the Force. There's some limited amount from martial arts maneuvers and such, but something to help differentiate one person with 5D blaster from another person with 5D blaster would be nice.

talent for marksmanship: Does not give any pip or Dice to skill, but lessesn the difficulty for ranges.

things like that?
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:

talent for marksmanship: Does not give any pip or Dice to skill, but lessesn the difficulty for ranges.

things like that?

Or something that eliminates 1 MAP without increasing skill otherwise. Or reduces travel time in astrogation.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scots Dragon wrote:
I can see an argument for talents/traits and flaws as a general thing you can add or subtract from characters. Stuff that adds and subtracts dice to certain existing skills while active, which can be used as the place where you put stuff like the lightsabre forms or similar special bonuses.

D6 has skill specializations and advanced skills. D6 can have advantages, disadvantages, and special abilities. See D6 Space for ideas. This is sufficient for realizing character concepts. I just do not see any reason to try to square-peg foreign system mechanics into Star Wars D6 like classes/careers, feats/talents, etc.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: