The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Falling Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Falling Damage Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trusty
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Falling Damage Reply with quote

Is the falling damage any particular scale? Or would falling on a capital ship hull "hurt" more than falling on a AT-AT hull?
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The amount of damage is always determined by distance fallen, the scale is always the same scale as the falling item not the scale of what they hit.
That's improbable?
And the Empire will be destroyed by..EWOKS!
That's...highly unlikely.
The Force? Bacteria called midichlorians.
If you don’t take this seriously I'm out.
Soniv
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct! As accelleration is at a universal speed, it is the force that increases with weight, not velocity. And that, gentlebeings, is your Physics Lesson for the Day(TM). However, if we wanted to be truly realistic, we could also damage the object that was fallen onto as well. And add/subtract dice arbitrarily based on the "hardness" of the object hit. Humans would pretty much go splat without much damage to the AT-AT...but that's a house rule. Actually...that might be a fun topic. I'll go post it now.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going fast enough, water can become just as hard as an AT-ATs head.

And, considering the number of times we've done stuff like this, I'm surprised I can't remember how my group handled this.

Usually it was a small crater and a very large blood/oil splatter, IIRC.
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stupid surface tension.
That's improbable?
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd vary the scale for objects of various sizes. A Star Destroter is going to take more damage from a 1 meter fall than a person would, just because of weight and structural strength ratios.
Soniv
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, of course water can be just as hard as an AT-AT's head. if you're going fast enough. The idea is that it's adjusted, not nullified. A 500ft fall into water would probably kill as much as a 50ft fall onto duracrete, but a 50ft fall into water wouldn't be so bad. That's the idea. But, this is cinematics, and if the GM wants a person to survive a 500ft fall onto duracrete, by the Force, they will. In fact...maybe I could bring Mace Windu back that way...

Evil GM Laughter here
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just posted this somewhere else:

In movies, if you don't die on screen your not dead. Just like if you can get out of frame before an explosion you're fine. Explosions are limited to the screen......remember the cow in MIB?
That's improbable?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking about falling, i am surprised the 'damage' tops out at 9d for 51 or more meters.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At more than 51 Metres, you pretty much just roll to see how large a mess you make.

Now, if only I can remember what we rolled for the guy in the Jetpack that fell off the "Capital Building" that was the same height as the CN Tower...
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you accelerate to a certain speed you stop accelerating, you continue to fall at the same speed so hitting the ground from say 50 meters and 300 meters you would still move at 9.8 meters a second (I probably screwed up the speed....but it might be right?) Regardless, you top out your speed and stop accelerating so you really don't have any additional momentum after that.

If I'm wrong then I really screwed up that physics lesson im my head......
That's improbable?
Allst Beamem
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terminal velocity is 32 ft. per second. 8)
Krapou
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea I think terminal velocity is more like 150ft/s for an average human body Wink

(about 200km/h)
Allst Beamem
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Alternate uses: see terminal velocity (disambiguation).

Terminal velocity.

The terminal velocity of an object falling towards the ground, in non vacuum, is the speed at which the gravitational force pulling it downwards is equal and opposite to the atmospheric drag (also called air resistance) pushing it upwards. At this speed, the object ceases to accelerate downwards and falls at constant speed.

For example, the terminal velocity of a skydiver in a normal free-fall position with a closed parachute is about 195 km/h (120 Mi/h). This speed increases to about 320 km/h (200 Mi/h) if the skydiver pulls in his limbs - see also freeflying. This is also the terminal velocity of the Peregrine Falcon diving down on its prey.

The reason objects reach a terminal velocity is because the drag force depends on the speed. At low speeds the drag is much less than the gravitational force and so the object accelerates. As it speeds up the drag increases, until eventually it equals the weight. Drag also depends on the cross-sectional area. This is why things with a large surface area such as parachutes and feathers have a lower terminal velocity than small objects like bricks and cannon balls.

Mathematically, terminal velocity is described by the equation

where

Vt is the terminal velocity,
m is the mass of the falling object,
g is gravitational acceleration,
Cd is the drag coefficient,
ρ is the density of the fluid the object is falling through, and
A is the object's cross-sectional area.
This equation is derived from the drag equation by setting drag equal to mg, the gravitational force on the object.

Note that the density increases with decreasing altitude, ca. 1% per 80 m (see barometric formula). Therefore, for every 160 m of falling, the "terminal" velocity decreases 1%. After reaching the local terminal velocity, while continuing the fall, speed decreases to change with the local terminal velocity

Terminal velocity. The speed at which drag matches the pull of gravity, resulting in a constant fall rate. Typical terminal velocity for formation skydiving is in the 120 to 135 mile per hour range, but speeds as high as 300 miles per hour have been reached.

Terminal velocity The constant speed obtained by a falling object when the upward drag on the object balances the downward force of gravity.

Terminal velocity Constant downward-directed speed of a particle within a fluid due to a balance between gravity and fluid resistance.

terminal velocity or fallspeed, the speed at which a particular body's weight is balanced by its drag as it falls through a particular fluid.

Terminal Velocity
The velocity at which the driving forces are cancelled out by the resistive forces. Terminal velocity depends a great deal upon the shape of the object that is facing the direction it is moving. Once an object has reached terminal velocity, the object is not accelerating (a=0), therefore it is not speeding up or slowing down. It is a constant velocity unless the driving forces or the resistive forces change. Typically, Terminal Velocity is only a possibility when you are dealing with fluid friction as opposed to contact friction like static or kinetic friction.

Laughing
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So....I guess I didn't remember the number correctly. Oh well, not in high school anymore........it's not like they can take my grade back....they can't can they?
That's improbable?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: