The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars Green Vipers (inc.The Long Shot Campaign)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Star Wars Green Vipers (inc.The Long Shot Campaign) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Bissler
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually looking for a bit of advice about something that happened in The Heat of Freedom adventure this week. (Link a few entries above for anyone who missed it.)

The team were trapped in a room and had the incredibly powerful Control Droid battering down the door. The players were fairly demoralised and convinced they were headed for a TPK. One of the players suddenly had the inspired idea of slicing the computer system and accessing the station's missile defences to destroy the walls at the far end of the chamber, effectively creating an escape route. A Force Point was used to hack the computer systems. I've been unsure about giving it back.

The rules are clear that saving your life in a non-heroic situation would mean that the Force Point is not restored. However, this was a heroic situation as their lives were in the balance. I suppose the issue here is what counts as 'heroic' - on the face of it, using a computer doesn't seem heroic but I can see it can be argued that in this circumstance it was. I'm minded to restore the Force Point but welcome other's thoughts on this subject!
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bissler wrote:
cheshire wrote:
I have run that scenario so many times, and it's great every time.

Nice - but I'm unsure if you mean The Heat of Freedom or Pirates of Prexiar?

Sorry, I'd meant Pirates of Prexiar.
The Bissler
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm looking forward to it! Not sure if one session will do it or if two might be required. I'll post the write up here once it's finished!
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bissler wrote:
Actually looking for a bit of advice about something that happened in The Heat of Freedom adventure this week. (Link a few entries above for anyone who missed it.)

The team were trapped in a room and had the incredibly powerful Control Droid battering down the door. The players were fairly demoralised and convinced they were headed for a TPK. One of the players suddenly had the inspired idea of slicing the computer system and accessing the station's missile defences to destroy the walls at the far end of the chamber, effectively creating an escape route. A Force Point was used to hack the computer systems. I've been unsure about giving it back.

The rules are clear that saving your life in a non-heroic situation would mean that the Force Point is not restored. However, this was a heroic situation as their lives were in the balance. I suppose the issue here is what counts as 'heroic' - on the face of it, using a computer doesn't seem heroic but I can see it can be argued that in this circumstance it was. I'm minded to restore the Force Point but welcome other's thoughts on this subject!

So, when it comes to giving back and awarding additional Force Points, I know the game is sort of spotty on precise criteria. My first piece of advice is to go with your gut. If you feel like the player should at least get the Force Point back, then give it to them. If that isn't sufficient, then...

My "rule(s)" of thumb are as follows:

1. Is it the final boss of an adventure? This is an appropriate time for Force Points to be expended, since most bosses can spend them as well.

2. Does the use of their Force point save/progress the story from a stuck spot?

3. Did they do something cool with the Force Point?

4. Was the point spent at a dramatically appropriate time? Really only a question if the answer to question 1 is no. This answer is yes if question 1 is a yes.

Judging from the way you've described the situation, and from what I've read that the control tentacle droid is one of 2 final boss options for the adventure, I'd say that using my guidelines your player met 4 of 4, and not only would I give them their point back, but I'd give them an additional one for doing something clever and saving the story from a TPK. Saving your party is heroic, even if you're counted among those saved.
The Bissler
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Raven! I'd already said she will get the point back but will let her know the good news that she's gained an additional one at the start of this week's session!
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy to help!
The Bissler
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Episode IV: The Pirates of Pilahni (Prexiar) write up is up!

http://thebissler.blogspot.com/2020/06/star-wars-green-vipers-episode-iv.html

Last edited by The Bissler on Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad to read about the player death. I'm glad he took it well, not all players do. My soundtracks are from the old CD boxed set from ages ago so none of my tracks match the track names you put for music inspiration! I had some fun picking some other songs.
The Bissler
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Raven, yes, it definitely was a shame as I enjoyed the Mon Calamari character and the player copied Ackbar's distinctive voice.

That's annoying about the music, I don't know why the track titles have changed! I was hoping the track titles would be universal so everyone knew exactly the mood I was looking for. Perhaps I'll link in youtube videos with the soundtracks in future reports, but if I do, I'll perhaps link them at the bottom of the posts. Thanks for mentioning about this!
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CDs from the collection back then had 3 to 4 tracks strung together. In later versions they actually changed some of the track names altogether.

I have newer versions on my Amazon Music, but I haven't actually bought the soundtracks, so I can't download them and my crummy satellite internet has trouble streaming. But, I can still download them for offline play on my phone, so I'll go that way next time. Laughing
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first read this I thought a player died! But I see it was thankfully the PC who died, not the player. Was Captain Jimi Ackbar related to the film admiral?

Raven Redstar wrote:
The CDs from the collection back then had 3 to 4 tracks strung together. In later versions they actually changed some of the track names altogether.

I'm your huckleberry...

"Mouse Robot and Blasting Off" is "Wookiee Prisoner" and "Imperial Cruiser Pursuit" (SW:ANH).

"Return of the Jedi" here is probably the track actually entitled "The Return of the Jedi", and if so that would be "Sail Barge Assault" (RotJ).

"Duel of the Fates" is most likely the concert suit version on TPM OST.

"General Grevious" is undoubtedly the "General Grievous" track on the RotS OST.

"The Forest Battle" is the concert suite on all version of the RotJ soundtrack.

"Into the Trap" is the first few minutes of "The Battle Of Endor I" (RotJ).
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Raven Redstar wrote:

I'm your huckleberry...

"Mouse Robot and Blasting Off" is "Wookiee Prisoner" and "Imperial Cruiser Pursuit" (SW:ANH).

"Return of the Jedi" here is probably the track actually entitled "The Return of the Jedi", and if so that would be "Sail Barge Assault" (RotJ).

"Duel of the Fates" is most likely the concert suit version on TPM OST.

"General Grevious" is undoubtedly the "General Grievous" track on the RotS OST.

"The Forest Battle" is the concert suite on all versions of the RotJ soundtrack.

"Into the Trap" is the first few minutes of "The Battle Of Endor I" (RotJ).

Thanks Whill! Good to know someone has an old enough soundtrack to feel my pain!
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Thanks Whill! Good to know someone has an old enough soundtrack to feel my pain!

I have the Star Wars OST (77) on vinyl, and TESB OST (80) on cassette. Everything else I have is on CD, and they are of course in my digital library too... I have the RotJ OST (83) and the SW Trilogy Anthology set (93) on CD, which has everything from all three CT OSTs plus some previously unreleased tracks, so I have all those old cue/track names. I have the two-disc SE CDs of the CT films, which are the basis of all the releases since 97 and seem to be what you have some version of. I have the three PT OSTs, the two-disc TPM Ultimate Edition, the recent remaster of the RotS OST, the Disney soundtracks, and other various tracks. I've got a lot!

The cues on the OSTs are tracked and sequenced by Williams for an album listening presentation which means that cues are not in chronological order and cues from different parts of the films are sometimes tracked together. Like the first track above, that has music with the heroes moving around the Death Star followed by music when they trying to leave Mos Eisley. The extended two-disc releases present the music in mostly in chronological order.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
The Bissler
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help on the soundtracks Whill!
The Bissler
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've posted up all of my notes, maps and images to allow other GMs to run "The Heat of Freedom". I hope you enjoy!
Note: You will still need Classic Campaigns and REUP to run this adventures.

http://thebissler.blogspot.com/2020/07/star-wars-d6-adventure-heat-of-freedom.html

The latest mission - Assault on Repair Station M13 - is underway. I expect it may be another 1-2 sessions/weeks before the report will be ready on that one. I'll also publish a post with additional materials on how I adapted that for play.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: