The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars Green Vipers (inc.The Long Shot Campaign)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Star Wars Green Vipers (inc.The Long Shot Campaign) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing your campaign/adventure details!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
The Bissler
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome Whill! I'm happy to share, it's a bonus if others can benefit from anything I'm working on!
The Bissler
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest adventure is still in progress - but get this: the team were tasked with infiltrating and doing as much damage to a mountaintop outpost which has a hangar bay beneath it. A space station is in orbit of the planet - and a squadron of X-Wings (NPCs) is due to hit that in another 24 hours. They were told there were 3 TIEs in the hangar and if it was possible to disable or destroy them - but that they may want to wait until the attack on the Space Station was under way as they will have significant resources to support the outpost if the alarm is sounded. The intelligence was way out though - there are 12 TIEs in the hangar bay!

Anyway...after a few of them nicked some Stormtrooper costumes and seemed to be following my intent to sneak into the outpost and scout out the place, the PCs decided they wouldn't bother with that, and instead conduct a full out assault! They called the other half of the party in on their YT-1300 to attack, raising the alert on the base. Those inside the base are currently cutting a bloody swathe through the base's Stormtroopers but the 12 TIEs on the base are scrambling - and another 8 are on the way from the orbiting Space Station!

TPK is a distinct possibility...

The only good thing is if they do all die, it's all on them for launching an assault when they had no real idea of what they were up against! My conscience is clear! Very Happy

Do any other GMs find themselves just scratching their heads when they think they've come up with a cool mission but the players just want to run a wrecking ball through the whole thing? Laughing
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bissler wrote:
The latest adventure is still in progress - but get this: the team were tasked with infiltrating and doing as much damage to a mountaintop outpost which has a hangar bay beneath it. A space station is in orbit of the planet - and a squadron of X-Wings (NPCs) is due to hit that in another 24 hours. They were told there were 3 TIEs in the hangar and if it was possible to disable or destroy them - but that they may want to wait until the attack on the Space Station was under way as they will have significant resources to support the outpost if the alarm is sounded. The intelligence was way out though - there are 12 TIEs in the hangar bay!

Anyway...after a few of them nicked some Stormtrooper costumes and seemed to be following my intent to sneak into the outpost and scout out the place, the PCs decided they wouldn't bother with that, and instead conduct a full out assault! They called the other half of the party in on their YT-1300 to attack, raising the alert on the base. Those inside the base are currently cutting a bloody swathe through the base's Stormtroopers but the 12 TIEs on the base are scrambling - and another 8 are on the way from the orbiting Space Station!

TPK is a distinct possibility...

The only good thing is if they do all die, it's all on them for launching an assault when they had no real idea of what they were up against! My conscience is clear! Very Happy

Do any other GMs find themselves just scratching their heads when they think they've come up with a cool mission but the players just want to run a wrecking ball through the whole thing? Laughing

Ha! Yes! My wife just reminded me that I have done that to her games on multiple occasions.
The Bissler
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! I'm glad it's not just me then!
The Bissler
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the plus side, if they completely fail but are captured, I can always run Starfall!
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On the plus side, if they completely fail but are captured, I can always run Starfall!

Yep! I hear good things about that adventure.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Quote:

Yep! I hear good things about that adventure.

I've ran it several times. It can be a lot of fun. As written, the PCs start out captured.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
The Bissler
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have fond memories of playing Starfall not long after it was released, probably about 30 odd-years ago! Unfortunately, I've just had a look at the introduction and the backstory doesn't fit with the knowledge that the PCs already have. It would be jarring for me as GM to have them suddenly talking about Walex Blissex when it hasn't already been mentioned (it's fine when Starfall is run as an independent adventure, but not when it is played as the consequence of the mission they're already on).

It therefore looks as though I may have to create something new if they are captured! I'm now eyeing the Fortress on page 61 of Hideouts and Strongholds as a potential hole to throw the players into should they heroically fail - as seems likely at the moment!
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just have them transferred from whatever Star Destroyer their known captain is to Walen Blissex's for transportation to wherever for prosecution.
The Bissler
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that in the opening script (and central to their understanding of the adventure) they already know about Blissex, which they don't. It would have been fine if I'd set him up as an NPC before now, but that hasn't happened.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bissler wrote:
I have fond memories of playing Starfall not long after it was released, probably about 30 odd-years ago! Unfortunately, I've just had a look at the introduction and the backstory doesn't fit with the knowledge that the PCs already have. It would be jarring for me as GM to have them suddenly talking about Walex Blissex when it hasn't already been mentioned (it's fine when Starfall is run as an independent adventure, but not when it is played as the consequence of the mission they're already on).

The time I ran Starfall as continued from the previous two adventures and roleplayed out the PC's capture, it was the third adventure of the campaign and Tatooine Manhunt was the first. In that campaign, I substituted Adar Tallon for Walex Blissex on Tatooine, so Walex had already been introduced and the PCs were familiar with him by Starfall.

Raven Redstar wrote:
Just have them transferred from whatever Star Destroyer their known captain is to Walen Blissex's for transportation to wherever for prosecution.

That works as an option. The PCs don't have to necessarily be the same rebels that were body guards for Walex as in the adventure set-up of Starfall. The PCs could just happen to be captured by the same star destroyer Blissex was, and then they meet him after the ship is attacked and they break out of the detention center, so they try to escape together. Maybe the original rebels that had accompanied Walex were interrogated and killed, or died when the ship was damaged, or were taken to another ship or detention facility, so Walex has to rely on the PCs. Walex can always catch the PCs up on what lead to his capture.

You can always alter the published adventures to suit the needs of your story.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
The Bissler
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
The Bissler wrote:

The time I ran Starfall as continued from the previous two adventures and roleplayed out the PC's capture, it was the third adventure of the campaign and Tatooine Manhunt was the first. In that campaign, I substituted Adar Tallon for Walex Blissex on Tatooine, so Walex had already been introduced and the PCs were familiar with him by Starfall.

Raven Redstar wrote:

That works as an option. The PCs don't have to necessarily be the same rebels that were body guards for Walex as in the adventure set-up of Starfall. The PCs could just happen to be captured by the same star destroyer Blissex was, and then they meet him after the ship is attacked and they break out of the detention center, so they try to escape together. Maybe the original rebels that had accompanied Walex were interrogated and killed, or died when the ship was damaged, or were taken to another ship or detention facility, so Walex has to rely on the PCs. Walex can always catch the PCs up on what lead to his capture.

You can always alter the published adventures to suit the needs of your story.

I really like the idea of replacing Talon with Blissex for TM. You mentioned about roleplaying out their capture, was this something you home-brewed for your group?
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bissler wrote:
I really like the idea of replacing Talon with Blissex for TM. You mentioned about roleplaying out their capture, was this something you home-brewed for your group?

Yes, I believe that was my second time running that adventure, so that would have been 30 years ago. IIRC, that campaign's PCs (who also flew the Longshot) had landed in a small docking bay in Kwenn Space Station. After they all disembarked from the ship, three different blast doors opened up simultaneously to reveal squads of stormtroopers who started rushing in and blasting. It was an ambush. The PCs tried to dodge and take cover behind the ship's landing gear. There was no way to the PCs could escape what I had steeply stacked against them, but the troopers did have all blasters sent on stun because the Imperial captain wanted to interrogate them. It didn't take too many rounds for all five PCs to go down. The PCs fought valiantly and I'ed several stormtroopers on their way down (and a couple stormtroopers even hit each other with stun blasts in the cross fire). When the PCs woke up, they were in the holding cell as the adventure as written begins.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
The Bissler
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Yes, blasters set to stun is a good way to take them down, saves anyone getting accidentally killed or faffing around with death saves etc!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: