The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Stun and Jedi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Stun and Jedi Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ning Leihrec
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 10:08 pm    Post subject: Stun and Jedi Reply with quote

Wouldn’t a lot of Jedi use a blaster set to stun as a primary weapon? Better karma than slicing people up. I imagine these Jedi use the lightsaber as a purely defensive weapon.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Stun and Jedi Reply with quote

Ning Leihrec wrote:
Wouldn’t a lot of Jedi use a blaster set to stun as a primary weapon? Better karma than slicing people up. I imagine these Jedi use the lightsaber as a purely defensive weapon.

Blasters set to stun is an option. But I also use the optional Severe Injuries rule that characters (not only Jedi) can choose to maim in place of a mortally wounded or kill result. With the prevalence of cybernetic limbs, this isn't really that evil, comparatively. With blasters being so common, lightsabers come in really handy for deflecting blaster bolts. I have character handedness in my game and lightsabers are two-handed weapons in my game (with a penalty of only using one hand, even the dominant hand), so it doesn't really make sense to have a lightsaber in one hand to deflect blaster bolts and a blaster set on stun in the other. We don't see that in the films, and we do see Jedi "slicing people up", so my method makes the game look more like the films but without all the death.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Ning Leihrec
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anything in RAW like Force Stun? A non-lethal force lightning maybe?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAw, no. EU added in the "Electric judgement" force power for 'light siders'..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ning Leihrec wrote:
Is there anything in RAW like Force Stun? A non-lethal force lightning maybe?

A while back, I proposed a rule whereby a Jedi could use certain of the “offensive” powers (like TK or TK Kill) to inflict Stun damage on a successful Willpower roll (with the D# being the Jedi’s Alter result to use the power in question), but I personally drew the line at Force Lightning / Electric Judgment. To me, Electric Judgment was just video game silliness that didn’t need to be ported over to the “grown up” SWU.

There was mention in the prequel EU of the power Morichro, which was essentially Place Another In Hibernation Trance, but able to be used on someone against their will. Apparently it could kill if not applied properly. I expect there’s room there for either a re-write of Place Another In Hibernation Trance where it can be used against an unwilling target, or a separate Morichro power with PAIHT as a prerequisite, but with the potential to kill a subject (and gain a DSP), either on a failed roll or subject to a Willpower skill check as described above.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Stun and Jedi Reply with quote

Ning Leihrec wrote:

This reminds me of the Teepo Paladins from the old Jedi Handbook; a Jedi sect that eschewed lightsabers in favor of blasters (essentially, Jedi gunslingers). I always thought the name “Teepo” was silly, but the concept was intriguing.

Personally, I’d like to see something along the lines of the Tetragrammaton Cleric from the movie Equilibrium, but using lightsaber or blaster as circumstances require.

Whill

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Stun and Jedi Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Personally, I’d like to see something along the lines of the Tetragrammaton Cleric from the movie Equilibrium, but using lightsaber or blaster as circumstances require.

Just about every PC with a lightsaber that I've ever ran has also had a blaster too because why not?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Ning Leihrec
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think force lightning is wrong stylistically for what “force stun” would look like. I’m picturing more of a hands-free Vulcan neck pinch.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ning Leihrec wrote:
I think force lightning is wrong stylistically for what “force stun” would look like. I’m picturing more of a hands-free Vulcan neck pinch.

Force Boot to the Head
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go by the "controlled use" of most powers.

If we look at vader's choke, we see this can ans been used to not kill, motti was pretty much stunned, so was Krennic.......

I would say that any power that does actual damage can and is a stun power if controlled .

This control is a choise not a penalty, it can not be more difficult for vadder to stop choking than it is to choke, so I would say it is choise, if you go anywhere beyond a stun/incapacitate with ANY power you risk and most likely will get a dark side point, but is a choise.

This also allows for jedi to use any power, but since some powers are far more dangerous and deals significantly more damage than otheres, then these powers will be dangerous to use at all since the chance of the stun causing more than just a stun is greater.

it is like shooting someone with a shotgun, you choose your ammo, be it a buckshot slug or a bean bag, the latter ebing the jedi stun alternative,
slugs is the obvious choice to wound/kill, while the buckshot is meant to injure more so than to kill, but even that is and can be deadly, levaing a bean bag for the non lethal alternaives.

it is all about the ammo, and not about the gun, and this should go with the force, it is about application and the choice you make on how much, how long and how far do stretch the power.

I even see the force as being so "magical on origin" that you can choose to inflict less damage.

Force Lightinging however is an anomaly as the actual lightingngs do burn and scorch, but if applied carefully enough, maybe a t the cost of a cp then I can see this being a basic "taser".

It is why I made the skill lighting spark, is basically a lesser forcce lighining, with a cap on damage at 4D regardless of your alter/control score.
this allows even a full power application to be quite survivable but also an almost guaranteed stun,
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Stun and Jedi Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Just about every PC with a lightsaber that I've ever ran has also had a blaster too because why not?

I’m thinking more along the lines of Force-assisted blaster combat, with the precognitive and assistive aspects of the Force replacing the “mathematically predictable” patterns of the Gun Kata.

MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My holy grail for a while was a lightsaber that did stun damage. Just need the right crystal, I figure...
Whill

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Stun and Jedi Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Whill wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

I’m thinking more along the lines of Force-assisted blaster combat, with the precognitive and assistive aspects of the Force replacing the “mathematically predictable” patterns of the Gun Kata.

I haven't seen Equilibrium, so I was just responding to the "using lightsaber or blaster as circumstances require" part. That's what just about every Force PC I've ever ran has done. But it seems you are referring to a Force tradition with powers that also affect the blaster use in addition to lightsaber use.

MrNexx wrote:
My holy grail for a while was a lightsaber that did stun damage. Just need the right crystal, I figure...

https://youtu.be/NyAarvcWJPY?t=15

The first thing I thought of was this, but I'm pretty sure you don't means the silly lightsaber-blaster hybrid that fires stun blasts. It seems you are referring to a lightsaber that is designed to only do stun damage. I think that would be what Jedi youngling training lightsabers would be because that would be the only guaranteed way they would be nonlethal. I'm sure they would still be some floating around the galaxy in the classic era.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Stun and Jedi Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

The first thing I thought of was this, but I'm pretty sure you don't means the silly lightsaber-blaster hybrid that fires stun blasts. It seems you are referring to a lightsaber that is designed to only do stun damage. I think that would be what Jedi youngling training lightsabers would be because that would be the only guaranteed way they would be nonlethal. I'm sure they would still be some floating around the galaxy in the classic era.

No, not Ezra's lightsaber, but something along the training sabers.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we talking about training lightsabers, then these are referred to as giving stun damage, though with the occational burn, but they are considered non lethal
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: