The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Stun and Jedi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Stun and Jedi Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
Are we talking about training lightsabers, then these are referred to as giving stun damage, though with the occational burn, but they are considered non lethal

I haven't seen any rules on them but, assuming they are equally effective against blaster bolts, and at least nominally effective against droids, I could see them being a favored weapon for a lot of Jedi.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Mamatried wrote:
Are we talking about training lightsabers, then these are referred to as giving stun damage, though with the occational burn, but they are considered non lethal

I could see them being a favored weapon for a lot of Jedi.

I'm quite use to people not liking my ideas here, but I just do not like the concept of, "Oops, I accidentally killed you" especially for PCs in a game that has morality punishment built-in. Jedi characters in the films have no qualms about using regular lightsabers, so I just don't see what is unappealing about letting players just choose to not deal death if they roll death and don't want to kill. It's very much in the spirit of the game and Star Wars. And it is not even my house rule - It is an RAW option in the core book. I don't see stun lightsabers being a favored weapon for a lot of Jedi because apparently no one but younglings used them in the films.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Sat May 09, 2020 1:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@MrNexx

In the rancorpit library I think it is in the lightsaber compendium (non canon)
there are stats for the training(stun) lightsaber.

I could try find the page.

@whill I am not sure they had any comments regarding blocking, and as such I think they work identical to "real" lightsabers in regards to blocking blaster bolts
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
Mamatried wrote:

I could see them being a favored weapon for a lot of Jedi.

I'm quite use to people not liking my ideas here, but I just do not like the concept of, "Oops, I accidentally killed you" especially for PCs in a game that has morality punishment built-in. Jedi characters in the films have no qualms about using regular lightsabers, so I just don't see what is unappealing about letting players just choose to not deal death if they roll death and don't want to kill. It's very much in the spirit of the game and Star Wars. And it is not even my house rule - It is an RAW option in the core book. I don't see stun lightsabers being a favored weapon for a lot of Jedi because apparently no one but younglings used them in the films.

Oh, I don't think they ARE... I'm almost positive that there's reasons they are not, even if it's some reason they're less useful (can't handle droids, can't cut through objects, etc). But, IF they maintained at least some utility, I could see some Jedi favoring them for the non-lethal aspects.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
@whill I am not sure they had any comments regarding blocking, and as such I think they work identical to "real" lightsabers in regards to blocking blaster bolts

OK, but the Severe Injuries optional rule on R&E p.98 applies to everything. Jedi, non-Force characters, melee lightsaber attacks, deflected blaster bolts, actual blaster attacks, etc. If a GM uses this rule, there is no absolute need for any character to use training lightsabers because regular lightsabers can be nonlethal just by player/GM choice alone. But if you really don't even want to maim anyone, I guess training sabers are an option.

As far as the qualities of training lightsabers, they may only be designed to stop stun blaster bolts because the blasts from the training remotes are small and just absorbed by lightsabers without even being deflected, and in ANH Luke got hit by a remote's blast that he missed and just said ow.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: Stun and Jedi Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I haven't seen Equilibrium, so I was just responding to the "using lightsaber or blaster as circumstances require" part. That's what just about every Force PC I've ever ran has done.

Equilibrium is an interesting movie, even if just for the fight scenes. What's relevant here is the use of a fictional martial art for pistols, especially at close range. The description in the film is:
    Through analysis of thousands of recorded gunfights, the Cleric has determined that the geometric distribution of antagonists in any gun battle is a statistically predictable element. The Gun Kata treats the gun as a total weapon, each fluid position representing a maximum kill zone, inflicting maximum damage on the maximum number of opponents, while keeping the defender clear of the statistically traditional trajectories of return fire. By the rote mastery of this art, your firing efficiency will rise by no less than 120%. The difference of a 63% increased lethal proficiency makes the master of the Gun Katas an adversary not to be taken lightly.
Basically, a master of this art positions themselves in such a way as to avoid gunfire at close range while shooting back with deadly accuracy. I picture a Jedi Gunslinger doing something similar, but guided by Force-based intuition instead of memorize positioning in the statistically least likely spot where bullets/blaster bolts will be.

Quote:
But it seems you are referring to a Force tradition with powers that also affect the blaster use in addition to lightsaber use.

I dovetails with a larger rethinking of the combat system, where a single Combat Sense power would handle all bonuses for Melee, Brawling and and all Ranged weapons, but would be more dependent on practice with the weapon in question. A Jedi would be at their best with this power if using a lightsaber because they had spent so much time and energy focusing on training with the saber, whereas a Jedi Gunslinger would be really good with pistols, but with little or no training with a lightsaber. A player who wanted to have proficiency at both could split his CP between Blaster and Lightsaber.

The main snag at the moment is how to write up a power that combines the essentials of Lightsaber Combat and Combat Sense. There's always something...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: