The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> Avatars Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 12:40 am    Post subject: Avatars Reply with quote

Hey, I just wanted to notify you all that I am in the process of reorganizing the Avatar Gallery. I want to have multiple folders, one for each film maybe, and then another folder of miscellaneous. So you can just look at a subset of avatars at the time without having to scroll through them all at once.

Thank you.

EDIT: See this post for an announcement regarding avatars.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:35 pm; edited 6 times in total
Whill

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Avatar Project Reply with quote

In the end you will have several drop-downs at the top of the avatar gallery to choose from, which only shows that category and filters out the rest of them.

I am not deleting or renaming any existing avatars. I am adding a lot of new ones for all the pre-Disney films. If you would like me to add a new (eventual) avatar image for you, now would be a good time. I would prefer that it would already exist somewhere on the internet no bigger than 100x100 pixels, and you just send me a link to it. Or you can email it to forums -at- rancorpit.com . I'm not worried about the file size at this time. It should be Star Wars related in some way. And sorry, no one can have a The Child avatar yet due to the spoiler policy.

When I am done with my avatar adding spree, I'll announce it. Thank you.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Whill

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Get your new TESB avatars for the 40th anniversary! Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I like avatars and I encourage all forum users to select one. They are fun. Avatars give the pages more color and imagery that break up the walls of text. I wanted to give everyone a lot more full 100x100 options.

The Avatar Project has been a slow going process. I realized that if I moved the pre-Disney avatars around to new folders, that would remove the avatars from a lot of old posts by people no longer here to reselect it or select a new one, so I had to leave all the existing ones in the original (previously only) avatar gallery folder _StarWars. The few people who had selected Disney film-based avatars will find the files were moved so the avatar needs to be reselected.

So I've been in the process of adding avatars, focusing on film-related avatars but definitely not completely film-based. The new DT folder has all three of those films combined but it has 50 total avatars with several new ones. I added some new ones for RO and Solo too. I kinda went overboard on TMP by adding a lot of characters no one would ever choose and making them two-character avatars so the characters are smaller. I think that "bust" or headshot single-character avatars are probably the best ones.

Anyway, after TPM I skipped ahead to TESB in case anyone wanted to choose one for the 40th anniversary (May 21st). A lot of these were made from screencaps directly from the Disney+ films. If you don't want to choose TESB, there are several other news avatars. Just go the Avatar Gallery at the bottom of your profile edit page, then select an avatar gallery folder and hit Go. There are many more avatars on the way, slowly.

Just for fun I made and chose the original Emperor hologram as a temporary avatar. I have the original version of TESB in two formats but I haven't see the original version of TESB since 1996. Unlike three years ago for the Star Wars 40th, my family is not watching the original version of TESB because I want to watch the Disney 4K versions on our new 4K TV we got this year. We watched RO and ANH this past weekend, and I got a little sleepy during ANH when I was very well rested and shouldn't have been tired. After watching TESB Thursday night and RotJ on Monday (also 4K on 4K), I am giving the classic films a long break. They look better than ever and I don't love them any less, but I've just seen them well over 100 times each. That's just too much for any nerd.

I like to make new characters for my game out of the images of the original characters that were replaced in revised editions of the films. I've got the old Anakin ghost, but I've wanted to make some "Empress" out of the image of the hologram of the original Emperor which was a woman underneath the make-up and superimposed chimp eyes. Dark Side Force user? Definitely. Sith-related in some way? Maybe. Empress of what? Hmm...

Everyone, please go check out the Avatar Gallery! You go to your Profile edit page linked at the persistent header top of the page. Then go down to bottom and click the "Show gallery" button, and now you have multiple folders that you can choose from in a drop-down. Just flip it to selection and click the GO button to look at each one. I haven't gotten to AotC and RotS yet. I'm currently working on RotJ but have a couple rows so far. You'll see that many of these avatars I created by direct screencaps from the films, to have original images not available elsewhere in internet image searches. The original avatar folder is still there with pretty much everything it always had, but the Disney movies. That folder is called "_StarWars" towards the bottom. All avatars in any folder are available for anyone to choose, except that I ask that no one choose the ones in the "_Whill" folder - I reserve those for myself, as chancellor perks.

It's still a work in progress, but I have put a lot of work into modernizing this site. The previous admin has a file size limit of 10KB which is why most of the avatars are so small. I think the file size limit might have been necessary in 2003 when there were slower internet speeds and loading pages took longer, but it doesn't seem too applicable anymore. (I've been told the RP loads faster than a lot of websites). However I am still strictly adhering to the image size guideline of the 100x100 max, because larger avatars would begin to mess up the normal formatting of the web pages.

So please check out all the new avatars, even if you have no intention of changing your avatar. You may be surprised to find one you like better than what you have now, and even if you don't, I'd like you to see all the work I've done lately. It will only take a few minutes to scroll through them all. Thank you.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Mon May 25, 2020 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for doing these, Whill! I like changing up avatars every now and again.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Thanks for doing these, Whill! I like changing up avatars every now and again.

You're welcome. That's a really cool promotional image of hooded Luke you currently have chosen.

I think it was an exclusive image for the cover of Entertainment Weekly magazine. I think I oopsed on the file name and meant to name it ending with EW, not ET, but I'm not going to change it now. I must have had Entertainment Tonight on my mind. I don't know if the show still exists but I used to watch it everyday as a kid. I got so good at predicting Leonard Maltin's movie review rating right before he said it at the end of his review (1-10 although there was a 0 once) that I was always either dead on or only one digit off.

And by the way everyone, all those avatars are images that can be posted in forum posts like I did above. All you have to do it right click on the image and "copy image address" or whatever it is called in your browser. You can also choose "open image in new tab" to pop out the webpage for that avatar and copy the URL that way. All the ones I made or ".jpg"s with no parentheses, so there should be no trouble with posting the images with image tags. And posting these small images won't violate max image size in a post guideline unless you string 8 or more of them beside each other on the same row.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Avatar Project Reply with quote

If your profile already has an avatar, then thanks, even if it's an old one. If you've always used the same avatar I can certainly understand not wanting to change, but the option is there just in case.

Before I started adding avatars for the Disney films, avatars were created and uploaded only by user request. Every avatar in that "_StarWars" folder in the Avatar gallery is on a user profile or was at one time. There's a lot there considering not everyone even bothers with having an avatar, and many users have just chosen from what had been originally added there for someone else.

Avatars are fun and I wanted to make it easy for people to just have a bunch of options. There were so many obvious avatar options missing, and a lot of the existing avatars were smaller than 100x100. Times have changed quite a bit since this site was created in 2003. Internet speeds are faster and we no longer have the same page load times and bandwidth concerns that there were back then. So I have taken the time to create and upload a lot of new avatar options for all the films. Avatars in the Gallery can also be posted on on the forum using the image tag with the avatar's URL.

The film categories avatars are all made from either screencaps from the film or promotional images based on live action images. I have even thrown in some avatars from deleted scenes (and a couple avatar images of something replaced in newer editions of films). I have now added over 350 avatars in the film categories of the avatar gallery. There are a few more I will add at some point. There is also an "Other" category with a hodgepodge of non-filmic avatars, which is where The Mandalorian avatars are. I'll add a few more avatars to Other too.

I strongly encourage everyone who doesn't have an avatar to please go add one to your profile. Surely with all the new options, you can find one you like. If you are looking for a certain character who appeared in multiple films, please look in the categories for all the films they appeared in as they may only have one.

And if you want to add an avatar for you that is not there, you can still send me a request to upload an avatar for you. But all I ask is that you look through all the options first to see if there are any already there that will work for you.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As referred to here, I thought the world's leading forum dedicated to the Star Wars Roleplaying Game should have avatars based on character templates. I wanted to start with R&E as it is the core that all other WEG works revolve around, and because the character template images are in color there. R&E and its companion, The SW Trilogy Sb, also have the characters in good color artwork that introduce each chapter, so I thought it would be cool to make avatars for all of those characters as well.

So I made the Avatar Gallery folder generally named WEG, and it currently has avatars from all R&E templates, one for every chapter introduction character from the two color books, and a handful of black-and-white avatars from the templates in the revised GM Screen and Blue Vader. I'll add more templates and eventually other character art from WEG.

So please go check out the new avatars! Thanks.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are awesome! If I didn't like my current one I'd totally swap for a classic R&E Avatar.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Those are awesome! If I didn't like my current one I'd totally swap for a classic R&E Avatar.

Thanks. Well, since you like to change it up every now and then, those avatars will be there waiting for you when you do change it.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have chosen one befitting my usual role here.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
I have chosen one befitting my usual role here.

Very nice.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today, I decided to change up the avatar. LoL Good old Blaine Hansom!

Thanks for doing these again, Whill!

Any chance we could get a couple from the Mandalorian? The Forgemaster and Heavy Trooper would be awesome for sure!
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll see what I can dig up.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friendly reminder for everyone to clear your Cache of images and files every now and then.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:34 am    Post subject: Avatars Reply with quote

I added a couple more Mandalorian avatars to the _Other gallery, and several TBB avatars to the _StarWars gallery (toward the bottom).
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: