The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Multiple Blaster Shots And Fire Rate
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Multiple Blaster Shots And Fire Rate Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw that. I've got my own version drawn up in my head, but it's nice to know that exists.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
According to this Q&A with an author of 2e R&E...
Whill wrote:
I noticed there is an droid character damage/repair chart in the Q&A too.

CRMcNeill wrote:
Saw that. I've got my own version drawn up in my head, but it's nice to know that exists.

It's not just in your head. You posted it in back in September: Damage Chart for Droids
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL. That's one of the downsides to posting as much as I have; it's easy to forget what I've actually posted, as opposed to what I've just thought about posting.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
LOL. That's one of the downsides to posting as much as I have; it's easy to forget what I've actually posted, as opposed to what I've just thought about posting.

I'm sure you have thousands of more posts swimming around in there.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

I could deny it, but we both know I'd be lying.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Whill wrote:

I could deny it, but we both know I'd be lying.

Stop them swimming.. Free them from that grey matter!! Wink
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Stop them swimming.. Free them from that grey matter!! Wink
They lack sufficient form, structure and function to be of any use at the moment. When you see one of my "random thought" or "I've been thinking" posts, that's when one of my mental ideas has coalesced into something that I consider to be worthy of public consumption.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bissler wrote:
Interesting thoughts all!

@Xain: I'll have a more thorough look through my shelf of supplements, thanks!

@Mamatried: I like this idea! I think I'd be inclined to limit successive hits to +1 (rather than 1D) to damage, again, so as to avoid players getting too obsessed with boosting Blaster skill.

@CR: I completely sympathise with your argument here. When you compare blaster now to what happens in the films, limiting the players to a single shot feels counter-intuitive but, as I'm enjoying a better balance to combat, I'm extremely reluctant to revert back to the unlimited shots method.

An argument can easily be made for the idea that a "single attack roll" does not represent a "single pull of the trigger" or a "single blast fired from the weapon."

The biggest hang up is in ammo consumption.

On the other hand, the idea of one shot per round also works just fine: Even though a round is ~5 seconds, you don't necessarily have all 5 of those seconds to shoot. Some of that time is spent maneuvering, communicating, assessing, etc.

If you are familiar with the OODA loop, it is a description of what happens in combat. It stands for Observe, Orient, Decide, Act. In an RPG, the "A" would be pulling the trigger. But the other three steps take time. The winner of combat will usually be the one with the faster OODA loop.

A basic break down is like this: Your opponent "acts." You "observe" the act, "orient" to it (figure out what is going on), "decide" what to do about it, and then "act" on your decision. Your opponent "observes" your "act"... etc...

The time that elapses between the "observation" and the "act" could be represented by initiative (except that noone gets a second turn prior to the opponent getting a first turn).

In any case, just because you have "5 whole seconds" doesn't mean you're spending them shooting: figuring out "what to do" also takes time and reacting to your opponent (who is presumably also trying to make your shots more difficult or impossible) takes up some of that 5 seconds.

So feel free to keep using the fire rate as a limiter on your game's characters: it can reasonably describe the various complexities that are present in a gun fight.

I'll add the caveat that firing rapidly is entirely appropriate for "suppressing fire" (but understand that achieving the actual effect of "suppression" requires deliberate aiming, not "spraying and praying"). In such cases, you could rule that a weapon gets double or triple its fire rate but that it automatically misses unless the target chooses to return fire. The target can choose to forgo shooting back in order to guarantee not getting hit. (Just a hip-pocket solution for a quick way to handle suppressing fire).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: