The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Planet Kyte
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Planets, Locations, Eras, and Settings -> The Planet Kyte
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StarPadre
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject: The Planet Kyte Reply with quote

The Planet KYTE

A world of massive plateaus separated by deep chasms. Springs pour water onto the plateau surfaces, to create small lakes and rivers, which then eventually plunge over the chasm sides in awe-inspiring waterfalls to plummet down into the dark, hot, lava interior of the planet revealed by the chasms. The steam so created rises from the chasms to form clouds, thus the weather-cycle.

The plateau surfaces are covered with vegetation, mostly swamp-forests (due to the very flat nature of the land). The rivers meander wildly through these wet forests, with oxbow lakes common. Huge, but delicate, insects pollinate large-petalled flowers of all colours, while amphibious creatures of widely varied types eat both vegetation and insects. Reptilian creatures have grown largest of all, and are the ancestral cousins of the only sentient, tool-making inhabitants of Kyte, the Loyhan People. Some of the hardier reptiles make their home in the upper reaches of the chasm walls, though near the bottom only scuttering, hard-shelled insects feed on the bright mosses which grow in the warm and foggy dampness of the steam bottom.

Settlements sit atop the plateaus, some perched precariously upon the lips of the chasms, some sprawling down the chasm walls to hang like balconies on ledges and cave mouths. Mining is the most important economic activity, as it always has been on Kyte since they joined the galactic community. The rich mineral veins can be accessed via the chasm walls and so the mining facilities, perpetually obscured by thick fog and steam, cling to lower reaches of the great rock cliffs, connected to the surface by long vertical lift tubes and enormous mineral hoist-platforms. The mines are powered by geothermal energy convertors or older, steam-driven generators. The miners inhabit dark, cool(ish) caves to avoid the constant heat of the lower reaches of the chasm. On several occasions entire mines have been lost to a sudden upsurge of hot magma, but the industry remains profitable.

Several Loyhan noble families rule Kyte and one family (the Tilliranthor family) stands above all, mastering all the rest. The Tilliranthor family head, Tilliranthor Achragath has gone from the position of nominal ‘Principal’ to become a very real Overlord. Members of the extended noble families are all that off-worlders would ever see of Kyte’s inhabitants (without visiting the system themselves), as only nobles have anything like the freedom or wealth required to leave Kyte.

The majority of the population are enslaved in lifelong service to one noble family or another. They are called the "Protected", but they are in every way slaves. The lucky few protected get to work on the plateau surface, tending field crops and orchards, repairing machinery, maintaining hunting estates, working as household servants. The unlucky majority of protected work in the mines or factory complexes, some never having seen the world surface, never having been anywhere not dully lit and awash with sweltering steam. The surface protected are all tagged - for their protection, that they might not be lost, or carried away by beasts, or unable to be found for important duties – in the form of an implanted electronic mini-beacon. It is rumoured that these can be used to kill, by inducing headaches so violent that the pain overwhelms the senses and shocks the victim to death, bit this has never been proven.

The surface protected, 'People of the Light', consider themselves far superior to the dark creatures who serve in the chasms. The chasm protected (or 'Pit Folk') have something a little more powerful implanted in their bones: tags which dull their wits, strip them of imaginative thought to make them obedient and docile, even unconcerned by the pain their bodies feel during their hard work. They will work until they collapse unless ordered to rest.

Nobles on Kyte look at the protected in the way many beings in the galaxy look upon droids. There is even a faction of nobles who believe that it would serve them best to replace the protected with droids, which are surely more reliable and economic in the long run - though some protected may have to be kept on a while to maintain the droids, until the droids can do that for each other.

SPECIES: Loyhan People

Reptilian, scaly-skinned humanoids. Three fingered with large mouths containing several rows of tiny teeth.

The Nobles
Attribute dice: 12D
Attribute Minimum/Maximums
DEXTERITY: 1D/3D+1
KNOWLEDGE: 1D/4D
MECHANICAL: 1D/3D+2
PERCEPTION: 1D/3D
STRENGTH: 1D+2/5D+2
TECHNICAL: 1D/3D+2
Height: 1.5 - 2.2 meters
Move: 11/13

Special Skills: They have a degree of infra-red sight to supplement the ‘normal’ visual range.
Story factors: See main text. Consider the protected to be their property. They live lives of ease: hunting and pursuing sport-like activities; feasting and fighting and playing diplomatic intrigue games. A few take it upon themselves to rule over the mines, bossing their slave-like underlings to ensure their families amass ever greater wealth. The lesser nobles, the majority, are formed into retinues for the greater - soldiers and courtiers, though all nobles have their own slaves. Loyhan armies consist of small forces of skilled and life-long warriors.

The Protected
Attribute dice: 12D

Surface Protected [“People of the Light”]
DEXTERITY: 1D/3D
KNOWLEDGE: 1D/3D+1
PERCEPTION: 1D/3D
STRENGTH: 1D+2/4D+1
TECHNICAL: 1D/3D+2
Height: 1.4 - 2.1 meters
Move: 10/12

Special Skills: The Pit folk possess very good infra-red sight ability. Can temporarily withstand extreme heat conditions.
Story factors: See the above text. Many of the Chasm Protected have become more like automatons than sapients.

Chasm Protected ["Pit Folk"]
DEXTERITY: 1D/2D+2
KNOWLEDGE: 1D/2D
PERCEPTION: 1D/2D+2
STRENGTH: 1D+2/3D+2
TECHNICAL: 1D/3D
Height: 1.2 - 1.8 meters
Move: 10/12

Typical chasm-edge settlement on Kyte

Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got a chance to read through this. I really like this world you've created, the three factions of the natives are especially interesting and that chasm
settlement map is a thing of beauty.

Excellent work StarPadre

Purely out of curiosity, did you design the world map layout yourself or did you use an existing template from another RPG? The hex triangles really remind
me of the old world design sheets from the AD&D World Builder Guide
StarPadre
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xain Arke wrote:
... did you design the world map layout yourself or did you use an existing template from another RPG? The hex triangles really remind
me of the old world design sheets from the AD&D World Builder Guide

I think, like 99% sure, I used a pro-forma that came with some Traveller supplement.

Now I know someone likes this sort of stuff, I will put some more systems and planets up.
StarPadre
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to include this picture. This is the picture I used to show what the Loyhan nobles of Kyte looked like ...

Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think, like 99% sure, I used a pro-forma that came with some Traveller supplement.

Ah, right.

Quote:
Now I know someone likes this sort of stuff, I will put some more systems and planets up.

Awesome

Always put up stuff you want to though, most of this kind of stuff gets a lot of looks but very few people bother replying at all, it's annoying but it is what it is

By the way, That Loyhan noble pic is ace Very Happy
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xain Arke wrote:
StarPadre wrote:

Awesome

Always put up stuff you want to though, most of this kind of stuff gets a lot of looks but very few people bother replying at all, it's annoying but it is what it is

StarPadre, please be assured that your campaign materials are greatly appreciated.

Everyone has all the official published products and the fan books, but this is original material never shared here before. GMs still playing the game over 20 years after it ceased publication are always on the lookout for new material and inspiration for their games.

And as Xain Arke said, most people don't bother replying. And registered users are less than 1% of the total web traffic here. There are literally hundreds of unique visitors to the Rancor Pit every single day (and this is not counting bots, worms, spiders, etc.). There are thousands of unique visitors here every month, so over the course of a year you can be almost certain that hundred to thousands of people have read your posts. It's a largely thankless job, but potentially thousands of gamers from around the world enjoy your material on this site. The US, Canada, UK, France, Norway, Germany, Poland, and Australasia have the most Rancor Pit followers. Lurkers love us!

And take it from Xain Arke who cranks out comic book stats left and right. You guys are in league with the top content providers here. Thank you both for sharing your stuff!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always love checking this stuff out. Most of the time, I just don't respond unless I have something useful to contribute other than "Thank you" or "This is cool!" I feel like those sorts of replies are typically just padding your post count. Wink There used to be a lot of that around here.
StarPadre
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
... Most of the time, I just don't respond unless I have something useful to contribute other than "Thank you" or "This is cool!" I feel like those sorts of replies are typically just padding your post count. Wink There used to be a lot of that around here.

I can assure you, my urge to know whether someone other than bots are reading my posts is nothing at all to do with garnering a post count. I simply need to know whether the posts are worth the effort I put into them.

For example, for the Planet Valanz post I just put up, I had to find the old hardcopy file, scan 4 pictures, re-size and edit out blotches or 'wobbly' bits. Then I spent half an evening searching the entire house for a floppy disc reader (which I know is here somewhere but cannot for the life of me find) because the computer files I have on back up CDs from the early 2000s turned out to have been copied from the wrong floppy discs - Valanz was entirely missing from the pc files even though I had several pages of printed stuff. Sad I had the floppy discs but no means of reading them!

Giving up on that, I then spent the other half of the evening trying to learn how to use my printer (too old) or Windows or Word (etc) to scan and OCR the texts. Confused The next day, Saturday, I phoned a tech friend and he told me Google Drive should do it. An hour or so later, despite the fact that every instruction video I found showed screens and options that looked nothing like my own version of Google Drive (???) I finally managed to OCR the texts. Smile

At which point I realised I could have just typed them quicker! Embarassed Then, I began the process of editing and correcting the weirdness that resulted from OCR on an old inkjet printer's pages ('l' becomes 'i', etc)

So ... although I know I am a bit mad for doing all this, how much more insane would it be if no-one was actually reading the stuff?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he meant the people replying, "Yes, I like it" may be trying to garner a post count, not you posting your content or asking if anyone likes it. And here, post-count doesn't really mean anything anyway.

So everyone, if you see people providing content and you appreciate it, please tell them. Thanks.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I think he meant the people replying, "Yes, I like it" may be trying to garner a post count, not you posting your content or asking if anyone likes it. And here, post-count doesn't really mean anything anyway.

So everyone, if you see people providing content and you appreciate it, please tell them. Thanks.

Since the Emperor commands it, it shall be so.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StarPadre wrote:
Raven Redstar wrote:
... Most of the time, I just don't respond unless I have something useful to contribute other than "Thank you" or "This is cool!" I feel like those sorts of replies are typically just padding your post count. Wink There used to be a lot of that around here.

I can assure you, my urge to know whether someone other than bots are reading my posts is nothing at all to do with garnering a post count. I simply need to know whether the posts are worth the effort I put into them.

For example, for the Planet Valanz post I just put up, I had to find the old hardcopy file, scan 4 pictures, re-size and edit out blotches or 'wobbly' bits. Then I spent half an evening searching the entire house for a floppy disc reader (which I know is here somewhere but cannot for the life of me find) because the computer files I have on back up CDs from the early 2000s turned out to have been copied from the wrong floppy discs - Valanz was entirely missing from the pc files even though I had several pages of printed stuff. Sad I had the floppy discs but no means of reading them!

Giving up on that, I then spent the other half of the evening trying to learn how to use my printer (too old) or Windows or Word (etc) to scan and OCR the texts. Confused The next day, Saturday, I phoned a tech friend and he told me Google Drive should do it. An hour or so later, despite the fact that every instruction video I found showed screens and options that looked nothing like my own version of Google Drive (???) I finally managed to OCR the texts. Smile

At which point I realised I could have just typed them quicker! Embarassed Then, I began the process of editing and correcting the weirdness that resulted from OCR on an old inkjet printer's pages ('l' becomes 'i', etc)

So ... although I know I am a bit mad for doing all this, how much more insane would it be if no-one was actually reading the stuff?

Wow. I had no idea how much of a pain it was doing this stuff for you. You have more of my awe than you did before. Well done!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Planets, Locations, Eras, and Settings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: