The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Range as Cover
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG -> Range as Cover Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. My ultimate goal would be to get away from hard metric values in ranging as much as possible, but there's definitely some useful material there...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Chaosmeister
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about this and wrote up a super simple version (to me).

First I would define what type of weapon has which range "Limit". This "Limit" is the distance up until which the weapon can fire with the normal difficulty as present in the rules. I am building from IAG so the ranges are:

- Point Blank
- Close
- Medium
- Long

To keep it simple I wouldn't do it by specific weapon but general type.

- Pistols up to Close
- Pistols, Heavy up to Medium
- SMG up to Medium
- Rifles Up to Long
- Heavy Weapons up to Long

If you try to fire at a target in a range bracket further away then the maximum range for your weapon you add +5 to the difficulty to hit.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar idea Chaos and was just about to suggest something similar, rather than the standard range bands I'd suggested earlier.

You could apply the GM modifiers to for shooting outside your weapon's range. Maybe apply a -10 penalty or some other flat penalty to your shot per range band beyond that you're trying to hit?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a consideration, but I'd also like to retain the usefulness of certain weapons in close. Pistols, for example, become much more useful at Point Blank Range than do Rifles, but in order to represent this, Range Bands have to be maintained.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaosmeister wrote:
I may be not understanding everything you guys talk about

1e and 2e have four named ranges which correspond to difficulties, but what range of meters applies to each range varies per weapon.

IAG just has vaguely defined approximate ranges instead of meters (the same four range names and difficulty levels), and those ranges apply equally to all weapons, a severe oversimplification where the only difference between weapons is damage.

The "static ranges" concept brought up here as a possible house rule is somewhere in between 1e/2e and IAG, where there are more than four ranges with defined meter ranges and difficulties but the ranges apply to all weapons, with each weapon listing what all ranges it has, and each weapon's ranges having modifiers per weapon (a long range shot is going to be easier with a rifle than a blaster pistol). A few years ago I made a spreadsheet of weapons and tried to do this, and what I ended up with wasn't really any simpler than RAW so I scrapped it.

If I understand correctly, CRM is considering something also in between 1e/2e and IAG like the static ranges above, but having the more vague definitions of weapon ranges, but having the ranges be thought of as cover and/or be defined by scale.

Chaosmeister wrote:
I liked this representation in Rules Essentials for ranges

And the Weapons as reference

Thanks for sharing this. This is just a slight simplification of the 1e/2e range system, where it adds one range and the meter range increments between weapons are unified, but each range still varies per weapon. This would be a very easy adaptation from the two RAWs.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
If I understand correctly, CRM is considering something also in between 1e/2e and IAG like the static ranges above, but having the more vague definitions of weapon ranges, but having the ranges be thought of as cover and/or be defined by scale.

Somewhat, although I'm waffling back and forth between Dice Modifiers (ala Cover) and Difficulty Modifiers.

Basically, the Range Bands would be the same for all weapons, and would be more descriptive in nature. Combat in a small room would be Point Blank for everyone, regardless of whether you were wielding a Blaster Rifle or a Blaster Pistol, but the Blaster Pistol is going to be more useful. Conversely, combat in an open field would be at Long Range, where the Blaster Rifle would be useful, and the Blaster Pistol might as well be a paperweight.

Then, there would be four different overlapping levels of Range Bands depending on the environment the combat is taking place in. Personal combat is going to be as described above, while Vehicle combat in a city or forest would be at Point Blank (Short/Medium for Personal Combat), whereas Aerial Combat would cover even greater distances, and so on and so forth.

Argentsaber
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Range as Cover Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Argentsaber wrote:
The die cap system would produce the same effect (probably slightly stronger in some cases)

After having put so much work into my Scale System, even to the point of having it published in one of the Adventurer's Journals, I'm disinclined to throw it out. In addition, I'm envisioning a simplified system that uses as few disparate rules as possible, with an emphasis on Difficulties + Modifiers and Skill Dice + Bonus/Penalty Dice. Adding in a dice cap system as well would be an unneeded complication when I have a perfectly good scale rule that uses Dice Modifiers.

Not having current access to my storage unit, is there an online reference for your treatment that I could peruse?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Range as Cover Reply with quote

Argentsaber wrote:
is there an online reference for your treatment that I could peruse?
Here's the direct link, or you can check out the House Rules page of my Index.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:31 pm    Post subject: Scale Reply with quote

Argentsaber wrote:
Not having current access to my storage unit, is there an online reference for your treatment that I could peruse?

Here is the Adventure Journal link...

https://www.rancorpit.com/forums/downloads/Adventurers%20Journal/AJ-03-020119.pdf

In-book p.174
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: