The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Movement during an action
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Movement during an action Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rules that allow just one move per round get complicated when a character does multiple types of movement.

Should it really be fair for a character to move 100 meters in a speeder (driven by somebody else), then hop out (on a swoop) and travel another 50 meters, then jump off of that and walk however far, all in the same round?

I realize the above example is ridiculous, but I'm trying to figure out how to handle the use of a Jetpack in combination with personal ground movement in the same turn for a character. I feel like it should be one or the other, not both.
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
The rules that allow just one move per round get complicated when a character does multiple types of movement.

Should it really be fair for a character to move 100 meters in a speeder (driven by somebody else), then hop out (on a swoop) and travel another 50 meters, then jump off of that and walk however far, all in the same round?

I realize the above example is ridiculous, but I'm trying to figure out how to handle the use of a Jetpack in combination with personal ground movement in the same turn for a character. I feel like it should be one or the other, not both.

A lot of good stuff in this thread - questions, examples and rules clarifications.

A move by any other name
Honestly - I think if you were using RAW move rules - (for R&E) then the mixed move would not be allowed.
It breaks the premise that you can only move once in a turn.

You can treat is as "you get one move - not one move per method".

So yeah, movement can get messy - both in trying to make a reasonable consistent mechanic - but then trying to visualize what the acts like in a game.

Enter House Rules.
There are some threads out there (linked previously) about house rules for breaking up movement. Here are mine...

After much thought and research - I split up moving in my game.
(this is a simplified version but):

Short Move - Free action, once per round, up to half base rate.
Move - Action, once per round, up to base rate.
Dash - Action, once per round, up to base rate (some call this second move a "Run" in other house rules).
All out - Full round action, can move up to 4x base rate depending on Athletics roll.

My group likes this as it feel like it supports many scenarios, yet not too "rulesey". (rules need structure - but not simulation - and therein lies the challenge).

I still don't differentiate on the method - you only get a half, a full and a second full - thats it (unless you commit to only moving in one mode, as a full round action...).

But what is time again?
The catch in your example - is how much of the effort was it to be a passanger in a vehicle? or how much time?
I would ask - what speed was the vehicle going at - was the 100m the whole round - or only part of it. The speeder to swoop to walking - it might be running out of time - not actions. (if the swoop was a 1x speed - then that is the whole round - so he ran out of time...etc.). Again, rules designed to be simple - can only bend so far - the GM would need to make a call (Structure vs. simulation again).

To Fly..
On your jetpack - the only difference I would say, that since using the jetpack might be a minimum of one action, regardless of the distance (as mentioned previously) so - the mode of Jedpack might not be eligible for a "Short Move" in my system (a free action).

I would allow activating the jet pack and moving 1X as one action, and let the character then take a walking speed move as their second - that would be the first and second full move in my house rules.

Best of luck in what ever you decide to do.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. using a jet pack is one action, period, even if you only do a half move..
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My issue is with the narrative aspects, we do not have have two "static " standing peoppe shooting or wxcahning blows, they move around eachother, boxer MOVE they also Hit, but mostly they dance around.

I can not see any reason to not alow a million actions if need be within the same grid during combat, or within the same "range area"

to me a Move shoot move IS how combat is in the movies, we do bot see STAND STILL SHOOT, then STAND STILL and then Move....

flewent movement in comabt like move a litt forward, shoot, and continue mving to the "range is set" making those 3 things ONE movement.

he moved winin the grid rather rhan stop, and wait, then move, then say something while standingf, then stop and stand still to hear what is said....

or shoot, stop stand totally still then see if your non moving standingf still target is hit.....

I mean we have MFTAS---- this indicates to me ACTUAL movement in comabt and tbis in the sense move 2 meters shoot, hen move 2 meter....end....next round move 2 meter, find cover.... end, then peak above the cover to shoot and then then "dodge" down behind it, NOW cover matter.
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
My issue is with the narrative aspects, we do not have have two "static " standing peoppe shooting or wxcahning blows, they move around eachother, boxer MOVE they also Hit, but mostly they dance around.

I can not see any reason to not alow a million actions if need be within the same grid during combat, or within the same "range area"

to me a Move shoot move IS how combat is in the movies, we do bot see STAND STILL SHOOT, then STAND STILL and then Move....

flewent movement in comabt like move a litt forward, shoot, and continue mving to the "range is set" making those 3 things ONE movement.

he moved winin the grid rather rhan stop, and wait, then move, then say something while standingf, then stop and stand still to hear what is said....

or shoot, stop stand totally still then see if your non moving standingf still target is hit.....

Well....I agree.... but at the same time - we need SOME kind of structure - hence my house rules for breaking up movement (which there are other threads on).

Mamatried wrote:
I mean we have MFTAS---- this indicates to me ACTUAL movement in comabt and tbis in the sense move 2 meters shoot, hen move 2 meter....end....next round move 2 meter, find cover.... end, then peak above the cover to shoot and then then "dodge" down behind it, NOW cover matter.

Some folks don't want move segregation that detailed - but if some do - that is great.

That is one reason why out of all my house rules - Movement took a LONG time to work out - and honestly - I am most pleased with - as I feel it breaks things up to support a bit more of a cinematic feel - but is not too details (again, structure vs. simulation).

We have been playing with the short move, move, second move (my dash) for almost two years - and the players like it, and it works pretty well - even with a large party (I have five players and myself in a game).

However - some folks will love raw - and that is great.
Some folks want super detail - and that is great too.
I tried to find something in between

Everyone should use what works best for them in their game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: